Should I bring a winter coat?

Izjezted

First time cruiser, first time to Alaska. We are sailing NA on August 12. I would feel strange packing one, but the weather in Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway & Glacier Bay has been hovering in the 50's. We are also doing the One-Way Tracy Arm excursion and evening whale watch.

It really depends on your preferences and what you're used to at home. For me, 50F (10C) is balmy and I would want a light jacket for outdoor activities. It doesn't say where you're from so I'll assume that you're from the southern states and 50F to you is really cold. If that's correct, then you might want to bring a heavier jacket. While you're on the water, cruising, the breeze is quite cool, so you will want a warmer jacket for those times.

The best thing to do for Alaska, is to dress in layers. Then you can add or remove as needed. Make sure to bring something that is waterproof, in case it rains.

I wouldn't take one unless you have one of those really lightweight down base layer type jackets. When I went to Alaska, I dressed in layers for the "cold" events and was just fine. I started with an UnderArmour cold gear mock tneck, put a light weight fleece 3/4 zip top over that, and topped it off with a Gortex windbreaker. Add a hat & gloves and you'll be really, really warm, especially if you're moving around.

I agree that it depends on where you are from - your cold tolerance will dictate what you should wear. I was born and raised in Upstate, NY and was used to the cold. Moved down to Charlotte, NC and it took me a few years to acclimate to the heat. Now if I go back to NY, especially in the winter, I downright freeze even with a down coat on.

The only time it was really cold on our Alaskan cruises was close to the glaciers. I found layers (T-shirt, long-sleeve shirt, sweat shirt, and light-weight jacket) adequate. Be sure to have gloves and a warm hat as well. I was amazed at the number of passengers who retreated during glacier viewing because they were not dressed warmly enough.

When in the cities (Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway) I'm comfortable in a sweat shirt with windbreaker and a hat, and I can usually duck inside a store or some shelter if necessary. However, when at Margerie Glacier, the ship is sitting in a giant bowl of ice water at 32 degrees F, and if there is even a little wind it can feel very cold to me. A down-filled jacket was not enough to stay outside very long.

Really, August is normally warm, 70 - 85 degrees. It might rain, which would mean no sun, so cooler. On a ship or boat with wind, it can be cooler.

I like a medium-weight vest to wear over a light turtle and/or under a fleece jacket. Always take light gloves and liners and a hat of some sort.

In other words, take clothing that is versatile to layer if needed.

Wonderful time of the season to go to Alaska: have a super time!!

We were there mid September a few years ago and temperatures ranged from around 39°F (4°C) in Glacier Bay to a damp 56°F (13°C) in Juneau to bright sunny days in Sitka and Ketchikan around 72°F (22°C).

We opted for layers: wind/water resistant jacket, fleece sweat shirts and T-shirts. Also packed a light pair of long underwear, light gloves and kit caps. It came in very handy in Glacier Bay! In Juneau we added and removed layers as needed.

Edited by Boytjie

Layers are your friend :D and a jacket that's wind resistant. I also took a scarf that I could cover my ears with.

Don't know about Tracy Arm ,,,, but we did a private tour before the cruise to College Fiords (sp) near Whittier and it was very cold on the boat for that.

We were there mid September a few years ago and temperatures ranged from around 39°F (4°C) in Glacier Bay to a damp 56°F (13°C) in Juneau to bright sunny days in Sitka and Ketchikan around 72°F (22°C).

We opted for layers: wind/water resistant jacket, fleece sweat shirts and T-shirts. Also packed a light pair of long underwear, light gloves and kit caps. It came in very handy in Glacier Bay! In Juneau we added and removed layers as needed.

Something tells me you missed an "r" in sweatshirt, lol

We would dress in layers. Sweater and then a waterproof/windproof nylon shell. We are very much accustomed to colder weather though.

It can be a little cool if the wind is coming off the glacier or the water.

Layers for us, wouldn't think of bringing a big bulky jacket or coat.

Most important things are a waterproof outer shell (rain/wind jacket) with a hood, and shoes that will stand up to lots of rain. I bring a foam visor (or brimmed bucket hat) to wear under the hood to keep the rain off my face. Thin gloves help a lot; so does an ear-covering, either ear muffs or a head band. I take a thin, gauzy scarf now for traveling, and I use it many ways. I have a thin silk turtleneck shirt that is my next-to-skin layer and it packs so small and light, but it's worth it's weight in gold on a chilly day. We will each have a fleece jacket to wear under the rain jacket, and with these layers we stay very cozy and flexible.

Other's gain confidence from having a big winter coat, so that's what's good for them, but not our choice. m-

PS I spray our rain jackets and bucket hats with Camp-Dry, available at WalMart.

Thanks everyone. It is difficult to pack for this trip because we need dressy clothes. Last year we went to Yellowstone the week after it snowed. The temperatures of course were in the 80's. I told my mother to pack at least one sweater because she bought lightweight long sleeved pant and skirt sets. She has just gotten a windbreaker, but I figure that we might buy one in Juneau or Skagway or on the ship before we get to Glacier Bay.

We're going in early Sept and am planning on bringing a fleece vest and some long sleeved tops. Also, the trusty old rain jacket. Have some cheap Walmart 2/$4 gloves going to also bring along. We're from Seattle and this is usually plenty.

Layers for us, wouldn't think of bringing a big bulky jacket or coat.

Most important things are a waterproof outer shell (rain/wind jacket) with a hood, and shoes that will stand up to lots of rain. I bring a foam visor (or brimmed bucket hat) to wear under the hood to keep the rain off my face. Thin gloves help a lot; so does an ear-covering, either ear muffs or a head band. I take a thin, gauzy scarf now for traveling, and I use it many ways. I have a thin silk turtleneck shirt that is my next-to-skin layer and it packs so small and light, but it's worth it's weight in gold on a chilly day. We will each have a fleece jacket to wear under the rain jacket, and with these layers we stay very cozy and flexible.

Other's gain confidence from having a big winter coat, so that's what's good for them, but not our choice. m-

PS I spray our rain jackets and bucket hats with Camp-Dry, available at WalMart.

Don't know how I lived before I discovered Camp-Dry!

Don't know how I lived before I discovered Camp-Dry!

Yes on the Camp Dry. Live in rainy, wet, chilly Seattle and learned a long time ago to use Camp Dry as much as possible, esp. on our shoes.