Question about electrical outlet near bed?

Zeldamarie

On 2/24/2024 at 2:37 AM, kathys235 said:

I really am trying to keep an open mind- I just don’t understand why people are okay with no outlets on the bed side- it just doesn’t make sense to me on a ship that was recently “completely renovated “ just a few years ago. Do any Celebrity ships have outlets by the bed?

To go in and retrofit outlets where none exist would take longer than the regular drydock - or even the revolutionizing.

2 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

To go in and retrofit outlets where none exist would take longer than the regular drydock - or even the revolutionizing.

I see that, but shouldn’t they have put outlets on the bed side when they built the boat? Why is X the only line that doesn’t have them (at least from everything I’ve read).? They were constructed in the 21st century, were they not?

On 2/24/2024 at 2:56 AM, the penguins said:

I believe all cabins on E class, all suites on the revitalised S class ships.

Who said we were OK about it? Just the way the ships were built. 

If you complete the Assistance Form accurately X will go "out if their way" to provide what you need. We don't book Disabled Cabins ourselves ( my wife has mobility issues, uses a walker and can just about use the regular shower) but we have travelled with friends who do and they have all been happy.

Go with an open mind and enjoy.

Not the way other ships were built . Thanks for your encouragement, Penguin!

3 hours ago, Rudy888 said:

We were just on the Connie

The outlet on the desk was close enough to use the standard CPAP cord without an extension. 

Thanks Rudy- I really appreciate everyone’s support and encouragement!

MOST of you have been very positive and encouraging (just a couple of people putting me down for having an opinion. Thought people should have a right to their opinion. So, except for the holier than thous, everyone respected my right to have my own opinion. I still don’t understand why so many of you are okay with 20th century technology on 21st century construction, but Celebrity seems to do no wrong, even with charging thousands of dollars for cabins.

They will undoubtedly say pretty much what you have read here —- adding outlets where there have been none is a very expensive procedure.  Most passengers can make do with the extension cords they provide for your use.

Not me! It’s gonna be hard- I’m used to several at home, and know I will struggle with none. Just different strokes for different folks and what you’ve come to expect from your past experiences. Boarding tomorrow- please pray for my sanity 😉

8 hours ago, kathys235 said:

I’d actually like to hear what Celebrity has to say about the outlets!

Did you ask them direct I,e.contacted the assistance department?

8 hours ago, kathys235 said:

MOST of you have been very positive and encouraging (just a couple of people putting me down for having an opinion. Thought people should have a right to their opinion. So, except for the holier than thous, everyone respected my right to have my own opinion. I still don’t understand why so many of you are okay with 20th century technology on 21st century construction, but Celebrity seems to do no wrong, even with charging thousands of dollars for cabins.

Every ship/cruise line we have been on has been different with each resulting in different issues.

A few examples:

Sky Princess: corridors and cabin doors are narrower than on S line ships meaning my wife has to fold her walker to pass the stewards trolleys and to get in and out of the cabin. 

HAL has lots of cabins that only have showers over the bath which are totally impractical for passengers with mobility issues. The taps on these baths are impossible for people with arthritis to turn ( we had to get the taps changed).

Princess mini suites also only have the shower over the bath configuration.

On 2/24/2024 at 8:37 AM, kathys235 said:

I really am trying to keep an open mind- I just don’t understand why people are okay with no outlets on the bed side- it just doesn’t make sense to me on a ship that was recently “completely renovated “ just a few years ago. Do any Celebrity ships have outlets by the bed?

renovated means new carpets, furniture, curtains and such. They can’t rewire staterooms. Nowadays when a ship is built, the staterooms are fixed containers prepared off site by suppliers of the shipyards. They are then delivered with all wiring and pipes. The container is then placed into the hull and the wires and pipes are connected. 
So the wires are where they are.

Some of the newer ships have bed lights with USB and some with a 110v outlet. 
there are plenty of outlets in the state room. I’m asking them to bring an extension cord which they are happy to do is really not a problem.

To be honest, the moment I start worrying about where the outlets are to evaluate the overall pleasure of a cruise is the moment well stop cruising.

Maybe you are better off cruising with HAL in the future. We did and we certainly prefer Celebrity. Granted, the placement of outlets was a factor we definitely missed in our decision process.

Edited by Miaminice
  • Thanks 1

Turns out, after all my worrying, that our Aqua class accessible cabin HAS an outlet by the bed! Evidently, they CAN add outlets in certain situations. So I think we all learned something - WE WERE ALL WRONG- all of you Celebrity snoots especially. 3 days at sea and our eval is mixed- crew very responsive, but app is terrible bc wifi constantly goes out (even Premium). Food at Blu mediocre- we've opted for the  MDR menu the past 2 nights. Husband says buffet better on X, but in-room dining not so much, especially considering that they charge for it. Terrible service at Shore Excursions (snotty woman) who KNEW she knew more than I did (man at desk must've informed her that she was "incorrect", bc the app was fixed within a couple of hours.). Unimpressed with entertainment- they need a venue with a live combo with some energy, not just 2 people here and 3 people thereI think people just have preferences and they will defend them.  More later as we cruise along. Peace Out!☮️