Cunard Queen Victoria Review - Greek Isles July 2017

SonofTertius

Thanks for your comments Caz. Enjoy your cruise and let us know how it went.

PS: if in doubt about the food; try the Lido Restaurant or canteen as someone called it earlier in this thread. They really didn't disappoint as you go in with quite a low expectation [emoji6]

Will do SonotT... Plan to eat MDR for 2 x formal ( early sitting) and Lido buffet for 2 x evening departures so we get more time onshore..... the other 3 we will see!!!

Sent from my G8141 using Forums mobile app

I find this extended review very interesting.

SoT has raised some points with which I agree [some I don't too] but also some I have observed but not thought about in any way as they don't involve me.

I haven't seen hundreds of people fill their water bottles at the dispensers, but I've always seen one or two every time I go into the the Lido, which is at least once a day. That's the reason why I never use water dispensers if I can possibly help it. You never know who's been there before you!

I suppose the shops could be called pretentious when looked at in SoT's way, but then I just accept them as being there and wouldn't dream of buying anything from them, apart from some Clinique stuff to save me hiking it along on a long flight and Veno's cough linctus when I got ''the cough'' once. I suppose someone must buy the Cunard polo shirts and the baseball caps or they wouldn't keep trying to flog them. Harrods goes down well. Always quite a few of the green bags around. Maybe Harrods at sea is for the American and Japanese guests?

The decks all over the ship must have their fair share of towel clippers as it happens on decks 11 and 12 too, especially the shaded parts of 12 and yes, those loungers can spend hours hosting nothing but a book and a bottle of sun screen. Luckily, the deck hands will be pro active and shift the lounger a bit if it's obvious the owners are on a really over prolonged absence and others want some shade.

That said, you can always find a lounger on 11 or 12. Well you could. Maybe that's changed now. I'll have to wait and see.

The shops were exactly as I expected. I wasn't planning on using them a lot, which was just as well because, on our port-intensive 14-day itinerary, they were hardly ever open. This was exacerbated a few times by late departures, which meant that, by the time the shops could open, it was too late to bother.

As regards the water dispensers, my husband told me he saw whole groups of people, mainly Japanese passengers, regularly shoving their water bottle spouts right up the dispenser, which was far from hygienic.

In other areas of hygiene, the ship gets a 10/10. Hand gel at every eating venue we visited, and elsewhere - even a note in the loos to open the door with a paper towel after hand washing (not that I personally needed telling that).

"In other areas of hygiene, the ship gets a 10/10. Hand gel at every eating venue we visited, and elsewhere - even a note in the loos to open the door with a paper towel after hand washing (not that I personally needed telling that).

"

For that special cruise ship ambiance at home, I will install a few of those "pffffft" hand gel spritz machines around the house.

The shops were exactly as I expected. I wasn't planning on using them a lot, which was just as well because, on our port-intensive 14-day itinerary, they were hardly ever open. This was exacerbated a few times by late departures, which meant that, by the time the shops could open, it was too late to bother.

As regards the water dispensers, my husband told me he saw whole groups of people, mainly Japanese passengers, regularly shoving their water bottle spouts right up the dispenser, which was far from hygienic.

In other areas of hygiene, the ship gets a 10/10. Hand gel at every eating venue we visited, and elsewhere - even a note in the loos to open the door with a paper towel after hand washing (not that I personally needed telling that).

I have to agree with you Nelly. If anything, the ship always looked clean and hygienic. Apart from the drinking fountain in the fitness area which has seen better days.

Absolutely right about the groups of people congregating at the water dispensers by the Lido buffet. Some of them with 3 or 4 bottles - it was especially evident during breakfast in the morning and after 9pm during the evenings. I wonder if they know that the dispensers are connected to the main water-tanks and they get the same water from the machine that they get out of the taps in their cabin bathrooms. Probably not.

I appreciated the note in the loo reminding me to open the door with a tissue but once I was out I couldn't see a rubbish bin [emoji4] I ended up taking the tissue with me to the cabin.

Thank you for your comments Vic II.

The issue with the shops are that they take up valuable space. I don't know how many people shop there but I bet it's not profitable. Instead of making The Chart Room smaller, they could for example have decreased the size of the shops.

The pool decks are perhaps like this on any cruise but I doubt that it's carried out with the smugness I'd seen on QV.

Sailed with Cunard four times, covering all three ships - including, one sailing in the Queens Grill. Given this, I am a little confused by a number of the comments being made. Indeed, there must be two Cunard lines because I do not recognise the one being pictured in this thread. While Cunard, like all the other cruise lines, are not perfect, I have found them to offer good value for money and in almost all cases offer excellent service. Yes, they do not offer the quality of service or food that such 6 star lines as Regent do, but that's reflected in the price of the cruise. And before you say well this is just the view of another die hard Cunard fan, over the past 5 years I have also sailed with Regent, Azamara, Holland America, P & O and MSC - I am happy to sail with any line if the price and itinerary is good.

So I would say to all those reading this thread who have not yet sailed with Cunard, do your research on what Cunard offers to see if it suits you, but do not be put off by those who seem to find fault with almost everything - remember, if it was that bad, no one would sail with them.

Sailed with Cunard four times, covering all three ships - including, one sailing in the Queens Grill. Given this, I am a little confused by a number of the comments being made. Indeed, there must be two Cunard lines because I do not recognise the one being pictured in this thread. While Cunard, like all the other cruise lines, are not perfect, I have found them to offer good value for money and in almost all cases offer excellent service. Yes, they do not offer the quality of service or food that such 6 star lines as Regent do, but that's reflected in the price of the cruise. And before you say well this is just the view of another die hard Cunard fan, over the past 5 years I have also sailed with Regent, Azamara, Holland America, P & O and MSC - I am happy to sail with any line if the price and itinerary is good.

So I would say to all those reading this thread who have not yet sailed with Cunard, do your research on what Cunard offers to see if it suits you, but do not be put off by those who seem to find fault with almost everything - remember, if it was that bad, no one would sail with them.

Great advice. I was fooled by their marketing and expected something completely different. I'm certainly not trying to put people off from sailing with Cunard. I'm merely giving an account of my experience on the QV and yes, I've added some humour to make it a bit more colourful. I'm new at cruising. This was only my second. The previous cruise was on Majestic Princess (aimed at the Asian market) which I now see is a bit of a flop. Nevertheless, the cruise on Majestic wasn't awful for me, even though they had plenty of faults. I 'enjoyed' the majority of the cruise. On QV I felt restricted and dictated to. There was nothing which was of interest to me and that was a problem. I became bored. I'm not interested in 6 star lines. I'm interested in feeling relaxed on holiday, whatever my surroundings are. Maybe cruising is not for me - I'll give it another couple of go's before making my final decision. It will certainly not be with Cunard.

Great advice. I was fooled by their marketing and expected something completely different. I'm certainly not trying to put people off from sailing with Cunard. I'm merely giving an account of my experience on the QV and yes, I've added some humour to make it a bit more colourful. I'm new at cruising. This was only my second. The previous cruise was on Majestic Princess (aimed at the Asian market) which I now see is a bit of a flop. Nevertheless, the cruise on Majestic wasn't awful for me, even though they had plenty of faults. I 'enjoyed' the majority of the cruise. On QV I felt restricted and dictated to. There was nothing which was of interest to me and that was a problem. I became bored. I'm not interested in 6 star lines. I'm interested in feeling relaxed on holiday, whatever my surroundings are. Maybe cruising is not for me - I'll give it another couple of go's before making my final decision. It will certainly not be with Cunard.

I would agree 100% that cruising is not for everyone and that different lines suit different tastes. I think that doing a bit of research before booking is so important and can give you a good idea of what to expect and whether the line will suit you. I would also agree that marketing material creates it owns problems, often creating expectations that the cruise line can never live up to. However, sometimes people also create their own unrealistic expectations (not referring to anything in this thread). For example, I had a conversation with a lady who said that she would never sail with P & O again because her cabin did not have a balcony. I asked if she had booked a cabin with one and she said no, but they should have given her one. No matter how good the food, service, entertainment etc was, she was always going to rate P & O as poor.

Well all the best for future holidays, be they on land or the sea.

I couldn't resist reading the review and now wish I hadn't as I'm sailing on the Queen Victoria (first time on Cunard) in a few weeks time. I hope my experience will be more positive. Will compare notes on my return.

I couldn't resist reading the review and now wish I hadn't as I'm sailing on the Queen Victoria (first time on Cunard) in a few weeks time. I hope my experience will be more positive. Will compare notes on my return.

I really hope that you have a more enjoyable experience than the OP. Please come back and let us know what you think.

Great advice. I was fooled by their marketing and expected something completely different.

What did you expect ? Which bit of their marketing fooled you ?

From what you have said, you don't like cruise ships or people who cruise. I wouldn't waste too much more money and time trying too many others unless you are prepared to spend a lot more. On most mainstream lines you will encounter chair hogs, expensive drinks, variable food and limited activities.

Just have a look at some of the complaints on the other boards.

I hope you find a type of holiday that suits you as well as a Cunard cruise suits us.

I am a Brit and have done most of my cruising on Cunard, Thomson's and P & O (I know Carnival own Cunard and P & O before someone wag reminds us) as well as Holland America, Princess and Hurtigruten. My next is on Viking Sun. So far I have loved them all for different reasons. The key thing is to find a ship going to where you want to go - then look at the detail and the cost - Cunard rejoices in formality and some of us like getting dressed up - P & O and Thomson have dress codes too. There are loads of ships out there that are much more relaxed. I personally love the Old Vic - she is like a comfy pair of slippers. Travelling on her again at New Year - we had a great time in Amsterdam a couple years ago.

I have enjoyed reading this thread - really made me laugh. But be aware - cruising is addictive - if you like it - you will be back.

What did you expect ? Which bit of their marketing fooled you ?

From what you have said, you don't like cruise ships or people who cruise. I wouldn't waste too much more money and time trying too many others unless you are prepared to spend a lot more. On most mainstream lines you will encounter chair hogs, expensive drinks, variable food and limited activities.

Just have a look at some of the complaints on the other boards.

I hope you find a type of holiday that suits you as well as a Cunard cruise suits us.

Thank you for the advice Hattie. May you always enjoy Cunard as you have been doing thus far. I didn't and am happy to share my experience with others who might not. Hopefully potential Cunardians (or is it Cunardites?) are able to sift through the drivel and make their own choices. Happy cruising [emoji4]

I am a Brit and have done most of my cruising on Cunard, Thomson's and P & O (I know Carnival own Cunard and P & O before someone wag reminds us) as well as Holland America, Princess and Hurtigruten. My next is on Viking Sun. So far I have loved them all for different reasons. The key thing is to find a ship going to where you want to go - then look at the detail and the cost - Cunard rejoices in formality and some of us like getting dressed up - P & O and Thomson have dress codes too. There are loads of ships out there that are much more relaxed. I personally love the Old Vic - she is like a comfy pair of slippers. Travelling on her again at New Year - we had a great time in Amsterdam a couple years ago.

I have enjoyed reading this thread - really made me laugh. But be aware - cruising is addictive - if you like it - you will be back.

Thank you for seeing the humour in my review Queenie, and thank you for reading. You don't seem to take it all too seriously. You're a classy lady, a true one! [emoji8]

I'm sure you will Bourdieu - now you know what to look out for and perhaps have a giggle about what you see onboard as well. Enjoy the cruise and make the best of it.

Apologies if this is a rambling monologue.

Still unsure if cruising is for us as we like land based vacations and the freedom of different dining venues nightly. We avoid all inclusive and while we like 4/5 star at a reasonable price they cannot be isolated.

we have had five cruises so far with mixed feelings. We don't look for shows and quizzes rather we like to be able to relax, have nice food, pleasant service, not feel crowded or ripped off and certainly not treated like a child. Of course it is an easy vacation in a way as you can see lots of places without having to unpack.

Our first cruise was on Star Clippers in the Caribbean. Loved it and have done two more with them and may do one again - Venice to Rome looks interesting. Food and service were overall excellent. It is expensive but the positives are that it is priced in Euro, drink prices, Internet and laundry are very reasonable and service charge is inclusive. No nickel and diming.

Had two Celebrity experiences. One was enjoyable - not perfect as the food/service did not meet the marketing expectations (not to mention a waiter getting upset at my wife for ordering her steak rare) but overall a good vacation and a bit of a blow out. The quality of the music was really good.

The second Celebrity cruise was truly awful, everything we liked about the first cruise had turned as they were intensely cost cutting and we dreaded a lot of the time on board. Nevertheless we really enjoyed our time off the ship and indeed maximised this time.

One funny experience was eating dinner while still in port. Another cruise ship pulled up - MSC. The guests looked like they were having a great time. Our wine waiter proclaimed that Celebrity was far superior and we were much better off with them - at the same time he was topping up our very nice red wine with someone else's white wine. Interesting I was castigated on the Celebrity boards for expressing criticism. 12 months on and that criticism is now far more prevalent.

We have a cruise planned on Azamara and a crossing on the QM2 in December. Quite anxious now about QM2 especially good quality and service but reasonable expectations about the former - we got a great deal.

The reason we chose QM2 is the idea of a transatlantic pre flying and being able to be cut ourselves off for 7 days. Will be prepared with books and movies downloaded on the iPad. Will also be open to trying out the alternative dining options if the main dining room disappoints. Also will get dressed up for the formal nights - far more sensible in winter but really will not bother with the themed nights.

There are other options. Two cruise lines that tempt are Princess and HAL. For princess I I like the idea of more than one included dining room. The temptation on HAL is the konigsdam. It is a new ship and i like that you are not restricted on bringing on wine, the corkage is reasonable, there is a blues club and a range of included food options.

I think Royal Caribbean and Norwegian would be our idea of hell but others have said they can be ok on the right ship at the right time I.e. Outside of school term.

Great though that there is choice. Between cruise lines, the option of city breaks, more exotic long haul holidays, Christmas markets in Germany etc

I did like your review as while it is subjective you are debunking some of the marketing and bringing genuine criticism on areas such as food quality, service and drinks prices that should be highlighted. Maybe the executives should listen as this is far more valuable than a cruise line loyalist who genuinely has a love for a brand - to be fair this is probably based on past performance before cost cutting.

None of the activities was of interest to you and you were bored. I find that surprising, since in my experience Cunard offers a wide variety of programs and types of music. I haven't sailed on QV, but my recent cruises and crossings on QM2 had plenty for passengers to do.

Someone asked earlier and you didn't answer, so I'll ask again. What did you want to have by way of entertainment/activities on board?

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread. It seems to me that Cunard is exactly the right fit for me.

I must give thanks to the OP for re-affirming my choice. Cunard are obviously aiming for a classier traveller and weeding out the rabble.

Obviously I've added a bit of humour, just to make my comment a bit more colourful, in keeping with the thread.

I really wouldn't bother , I think we've now got the gist of It. However, It certainly isn't the Queen Victoria or the 'Cunard Line' that I know or have experienced, in over 50 + voyages/cruises.

Good morning Bell Boy.

Couldn't agree more.

Having spent the last four days, with the USS George H W Bush visiting Portsmouth...

36171604851_dc83f1c3b3_z.jpg

... entertaining and hosting guided tours, I've obviously missed a treat on this thread.

Having said that I must confess to glazing over the moment I saw the paragraph leader...."Drinks are expensive. There is no other word for it."...and would probably done exactly what I've just done,: skip to the last page.

Thank you for your comments Vic II.

The issue with the shops are that they take up valuable space. I don't know how many people shop there but I bet it's not profitable. Instead of making The Chart Room smaller, they could for example have decreased the size of the shops.

The pool decks are perhaps like this on any cruise but I doubt that it's carried out with the smugness I'd seen on QV.

I think this explains to me your real problem with the trip: you didn't enjoy your fellow passengers. When one is reduced to imputing theoretical levels of smugness, it can only be to confirm one's prejudices. There is a similar thing with the library where you assume the only motive for reading 17th century poetry is to look intelligent before others. It could simply be a desire to make use of a restful holiday to expand one's cultural knowledge. Probably misguided, but nonetheless laudable.

But for me this sort of carping rather detracts from the many sensible, if often exaggerated, points your articles contain.

None of the activities was of interest to you and you were bored. I find that surprising, since in my experience Cunard offers a wide variety of programs and types of music. I haven't sailed on QV, but my recent cruises and crossings on QM2 had plenty for passengers to do.

Someone asked earlier and you didn't answer, so I'll ask again. What did you want to have by way of entertainment/activities on board?

Thank you for your comments and may you keep enjoying Cunard as you have thus far.

Yes literally NONE of the arranged activities onboard were of interest to me - bingo, pub quizzes, knitting, praying, shuffleboard, watercolour painting, fruit carving, bridge, cards, jigsaw puzzles, faux-fencing and learning the foxtrot do not interest me. These 'activities', in my opinion, are poor and patronising attempts to create an ambiance of the 'bygone days' of cruising and crossing the oceans - they belong in museums with the likes of Diana's garnish dresses.

These activities are clear attempts by Cunard to make passengers feel that the cruise product is superior and a 'notch above the others' - people who sail with them are by far more elegant, educated and cultural than the riffraff like me who's not interested in their so called activities and/or who sail with others - that has been evident in so many of the pompous and downright rude responses we've had on this thread.

Cunard and her fleet are POOR simulations of what lowbrow masses think of as elegant and luxurious - it is clear in their marketing and it's is their attempt to fool us into a false sense of 'refinement'. It's a Disneyland for the average white-collar punter who'd like a taste of upper middle class 'elegance'.

It is poorly executed and it's prominent. If people enjoy Cunard, they belong with Cunard - we all have the freedom to select which services we purchase. We also have the freedom to review those services and express our experiences whilst using them.

The final instalment, my conclusion for this review will be posted tomorrow. Thank you for reading and participating. Happy cruising!

Good morning Bell Boy.

Couldn't agree more.

Having spent the last four days, with the USS George H W Bush visiting Portsmouth...

36171604851_dc83f1c3b3_z.jpg

... entertaining and hosting guided tours, I've obviously missed a treat on this thread.

Having said that I must confess to glazing over the moment I saw the paragraph leader...."Drinks are expensive. There is no other word for it."...and would probably done exactly what I've just done,: skip to the last page.

The final instalment, my conclusion for this review will be posted tomorrow. Thank you for reading and participating. Happy cruising!

Thank you for your comments and may you keep enjoying Cunard as you have thus far.

Yes literally NONE of the arranged activities onboard were of interest to me - bingo, pub quizzes, knitting, praying, shuffleboard, watercolour painting, fruit carving, bridge, cards, jigsaw puzzles, faux-fencing and learning the foxtrot do not interest me. These 'activities', in my opinion, are poor and patronising attempts to create an ambiance of the 'bygone days' of cruising and crossing the oceans - they belong in museums with the likes of Diana's garnish dresses.

These activities are clear attempts by Cunard to make passengers feel that the cruise product is superior and a 'notch above the others' - people who sail with them are by far more elegant, educated and cultural than the riffraff like me who's not interested in their so called activities and/or who sail with others - that has been evident in so many of the pompous and downright rude responses we've had on this thread.

Cunard and her fleet are POOR simulations of what lowbrow masses think of as elegant and luxurious - it is clear in their marketing and it's is their attempt to fool us into a false sense of 'refinement'. It's a Disneyland for the average white-collar punter who'd like a taste of upper middle class 'elegance'.

It is poorly executed and it's prominent. If people enjoy Cunard, they belong with Cunard - we all have the freedom to select which services we purchase. We also have the freedom to review those services and express our experiences whilst using them.

Once again you have told us what you didn't want to do, please tell us what you did want and what was advertised and not delivered.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread. It seems to me that Cunard is exactly the right fit for me.

I must give thanks to the OP for re-affirming my choice. Cunard are obviously aiming for a classier traveller and weeding out the rabble.

Obviously I've added a bit of humour, just to make my comment a bit more colourful, in keeping with the thread.

That's what it's all about. Selecting the brand which fits your lifestyle and aspirations. I'm sure Cunard is comfortable and suit your needs perfectly. May you always enjoy sailing with them like you have done thus far. Happy cruising! [emoji4]