Accessing the helipad area forward on Indy; also, any Grand Suite tips or info?

Hi, I'll be sailing on the Indy in February 2018 as part of a full-ship charter; third year in a row on Indy and 5th cruise on Royal.

I'd heard from other cruisers that, unlike many (most?) ships, the helipad deck at the bow on Freedom-class ships (Deck 5 forward) is accessible to the general public. How do you get there? It looks like it might be accessible from Deck 4 via some stairs, is that the case? Aside from any helicopter operations, are there times when the deck is closed off or inaccessible?

A group of four of us will be in a Grand Suite for this sailing -- since the charter operator raised all stateroom prices EXCEPT suites for 2018, we decided we could afford just a bit extra for a larger balcony and a larger room and not be all crammed into a regular oceanview or balcony. It'll be my first time in a suite on any cruise (this will be my 12th overall), so any tips or tricks?

I realize that many of the perks associated with a suite will not be applicable on the sailing, since there are no regular shows or performances to reserve, but I'm not sure what to expect.

Thanks in advance!

Yes...the helipad is accessible by going outside on deck 4 and walking all the way forward. Climb the stairs and you're there. Great place to view stars at night. Not sure if it is ever closed for any reason, but we've never been denied going up there when we wanted to.

The best perk for a suite is the ability to order room service from a full MDR menu

I'm curious to see if they offer that to us on the charter. What restrictions on time? I'm assuming you can't order from the dinner menu at, say, 2 am, right?

Do suite guests get early access to staterooms or any other boarding perks? One of the pages describing suite perks on Royal's website hasn't been edited since 2009. :o

I'm curious to see if they offer that to us on the charter. What restrictions on time? I'm assuming you can't order from the dinner menu at, say, 2 am, right?...

You can order off the MDR menu only when the MDR is open.

I much rather have breakfast in specialty than room service. it is in Giovanni's or possibly Chops, also access to concierge lounge for free drinks at night , love the suite pool seating and also priority embarkation

I much rather have breakfast in specialty than room service. it is in Giovanni's or possibly Chops, also access to concierge lounge for free drinks at night , love the suite pool seating and also priority embarkation

I'll be happy (and surprised) if we get ANY of those last three perks on this sailing. ;)

--The "suite pool seating" sounds interesting but the only pool open will be the Solarium pool, as the two main pools are decked over as part of the pool deck stage ("the largest open-air structure at sea"). I don't remember seeing any special seating in Solarium as a perk, so that's one we likely won't get. No big deal.

--I'd love priority embarkation but I don't remember seeing it "in action" during boarding. Performing artists and stage-crew had a separate check-in line and I suspect that, if anyone gets priority embarkation, they do. Still, I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised. :)

--Concierge lounge? Maybe. We'll have to check that out. This is one of the biggest-drinking cruises in the world, so a free drink or two would be a nice surprise. (I'm not much of a drinker but if you put one in front of me for free....)

Edited by Pellaz

We have a similar cruise on Celebrity next spring, charter with 70's music groups, from what I read that many of the artist at least on my cruise hang out in suite/concierge lounge when not performing

Sounds about right, especially if they're well-known bands or have a distinctive appearance.

Most of the band members on my charter cruise are pretty accessible -- chillin' in the hot-tubs or hanging out on the Promenade, etc., there are about 300 of them, after all -- but there have been a few artists who remained scarce...mostly easily-recognized people.

Who knows? Maybe I'll get to find them in the concierge lounge? :) (And NOT bother them...it's kinda low class unless they invite you in to a conversation.)

Sounds about right, especially if they're well-known bands or have a distinctive appearance.

Most of the band members on my charter cruise are pretty accessible -- chillin' in the hot-tubs or hanging out on the Promenade, etc., there are about 300 of them, after all -- but there have been a few artists who remained scarce...mostly easily-recognized people.

Who knows? Maybe I'll get to find them in the concierge lounge? :) (And NOT bother them...it's kinda low class unless they invite you in to a conversation.)

We have run into lots of celebrities over my 40 years of cruising , also ran into a few in NYC never would bother them