What to do outside of Rome for a day

MiniChunks

My wife and I have been to Rome once previously on a cruise, and find ourselves disembarking there next spring after a transatlantic on Jewel of the Seas. The cruise gets in on a sunday, and we plan to get a hotel room in the city for that night and fly home the next day. Having been to Rome, and getting the whirlwind tour, what would you all recommend we go and see or do with our day. We are 35 and 40, and enjoy everything from strenuous exercise to history and sight seeing. I'd rather not spend the day in a car getting to where we are going, so something close by is preferred, and am not very familiar with the sites outside of the city. Any ideas or recommendations are appreciated.

So lets think out loud. You are flying home Monday, and we are guessing it will be a late morning flight. If that is the case, and if you really don't want to spend a Sunday doing something in Rome, then you might want to reconsider even staying in Rome. Consider it is at least an hour from the port...and then you will have to get a pretty early start on Monday and get yourself out to FCO. So you might want to simply go from the port to a hotel near FCO (such as the Hilton). That allows you to have an easy Monday morning without having to deal with getting out to FCO.

As to what to do on Sunday, if you like ruins you could go to Ostia Antica, which is only a few minutes from the airport. For dinner, you could take the train into Rome...or....just grab a taxi and go to one of many restaurants in the seaside town of Fiumcino (also near the airport). If you do decide to stay in Rome, there is always plenty to see. DW and I have spent days just wandering around that city..and many happy hours just having a drink (or snack) at the Piazza Navona. On Sundays, you can also consider going to the Borghese Gallery (advance tickets are usually a must) and perhaps just relaxing in the adjacent gardens.

Hank

We went outside of the city of Rome this year. Tivoli with Villa Adriana and Villa d'Este is an attractive alternative. Adriana has some wonderful Roman ruins while d'Este has amazing fountains that I thought were as impressive as any I've seen other than the Peterhof in St. Petersburg. We also visited Bomarzo and the Sacro Bosco (also known as The Monster's Garden) which was surprisingly fantastic.

Other things on my bucket list for Rome area are Ostia Antica, Tarquinia (Etruscan culture), and Bagnoregio.

Tarquinia is just north of Civitavecchia. Bomarzo and Bagnoregio are NE of Civitavecchia and 1-2 hours north of Rome. Tivoli is just east of Rome. Ostia Antica is near the airport.

I'm not sure I understand the original request. Are you saying you've been to Rome for one day and feel you've seen and done everything worth a visit? :confused:

I've been to Rome for a day, and no, I realize I haven't even scratched the surface. I basically got the highlight tour, then back to the ship we went. My plan this time was to see some of the area around Rome and try to get back to my hotel around 4 or 5, then spend the rest of the day/evening walking around the city. I've been looking at hotels in Piazza Navona, as it looks like a great area to head out on foot. To the person that asked about flights, we depart FCO at 12:30PM

Assuming you don't wish to visit some of the many fabulous sights in Rome, there are several alternatives already mentioned - Ostia Antica (the archaeological remains of the ancient harbor city) or Tivoli (Villa Adriana (Hadrian's Villa) and Villa d'Este).

Given the limited amount of time you have, I'd urge you to just stay in Rome and enjoy some of the sites you probably did not get to on your previous visit.

Ostia Antica is a wonderful site but it is also similar to other sites you may have already visited (such as Pompeii and Herculaneum).

Given that you will be in Rome on Sunday, it would be the perfect day to explore the Via Appia Antica and the catacombs and Roman tombs there. On Sundays the old Roman road is blocked to most vehicular traffic and you can walk on the ancient stones and look at Roman tombs lining the way, as well as visiting one of the several sets of catacombs that are just next to the road. You can also rent bikes and do this. A little further along the road is the wonderful Aqueduct Park with a long span of one of preserved arches of aqueduct -- one of many that brought water into Rome.

I also recommend one or more of the following: Baths of Caracalla, the Museo dei Fori Imperiali, the Capitoline Museum, Ara Pacis museum -- all of which would probably be new to you -- depending on your interests.

Piazza Navona is a great area in the evening.

Given the limited amount of time you have, I'd urge you to just stay in Rome and enjoy some of the sites you probably did not get to on your previous visit.

Ostia Antica is a wonderful site but it is also similar to other sites you may have already visited (such as Pompeii and Herculaneum).

Given that you will be in Rome on Sunday, it would be the perfect day to explore the Via Appia Antica and the catacombs and Roman tombs there. On Sundays the old Roman road is blocked to most vehicular traffic and you can walk on the ancient stones and look at Roman tombs lining the way, as well as visiting one of the several sets of catacombs that are just next to the road. You can also rent bikes and do this. A little further along the road is the wonderful Aqueduct Park with a long span of one of preserved arches of aqueduct -- one of many that brought water into Rome.

I also recommend one or more of the following: Baths of Caracalla, the Museo dei Fori Imperiali, the Capitoline Museum, Ara Pacis museum -- all of which would probably be new to you -- depending on your interests.

Piazza Navona is a great area in the evening.

My husband and I were also on jewel transatlantic in April 2017 and arrived on a Saturday which we took buses everywhere and walked to Vatican city, piazza navona, ...etc... and did colosseum at night. On Sunday we rented bikes and rode the appian way and in the city which was ...interesting.. ;). I thought it was a great day and we loved the freedom of zipping around. We did this for about 5 to 6 hours then returned the bikes, went back to our bnb and got ready for a food tour at night in the Jewish ghetto. We left on Monday. It was a different way to go around Rome maybe not for everyone. I will be back November 2018 and will explore Rome some more on foot or bike it. Loved it there. So much to do.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

We just arrived home from 2 weeks in Italy. We spent 5 days in Rome. Sunday gives you the unique opportunity to schedule a tour of the Domus Aurea, Nero's palace. They are in the process of excavating it and our tour was led by one of the archaeologist. Fascinating! Part of the tour was virtual reality with the headsets and all. I can't remember the price, but it was quite inexpensive and only took an hour. It is near the Colosseum. Tours are only on Sunday and you absolutely need a reservation. Great lunch restaurant nearby with a tremendous view of the Colosseum. I can give you the names of the staff if you need to grab something quick before or after your DA tour and they will take care of you.

One of our coolest dinners was in the tunnels underneath the Pompey Theater (c. 61) near where Caesar was killed. Hosteria Costanza. Food was excellent. With a reservation, we were the only non-Italians sitting in the ruins and not out on the street. Ask for a double order of the zucchini blossoms (think elegant mozzarella sticks). It is an off-menu item and will immediately make you an insider. We received wonderful treats throughout dinner from the chef and limoncello on the house after dinner. I only speak level 2 Rosetta Stone Italian.

On our way to Rome from Tuscany we stopped at an incredible beach. Wildest and windswept on the Tuscan coast in Alberese. With your short schedule, might be best to stay in the city. Orvieto is gorgeous. Follow Rick Steves guide to the city. Lunch if you love seafood, I would recommend Cibus. Reserve through The Fork for 20% off your total bill. Both are an hour+ so likely too far.

The Borghese gardens right now are fried to a crisp with the water ban. It is a dust bowl. Such a bummer.

Hilitner has some good advice.

Happy to offer any advice. We are still jet-lagged.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums