Murder on Emerald Princess

Aquahound

How many of you that have been posting will be sailing on the Emerald this year? We are sailing December 3rd for 31 days from LA to South America we are on deck 14 in a Penthouse Suite. Really looking forward to it, we have been on Emerald one other time for 14 days we are Elite with Princess.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have not posted, however have been following this thread. We're sailing on the Emerald August 20th-27th.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

We just got an email from our family who are onboard the Emerald. It appears that they are arriving ahead of schedule because of a medical emergency. Does anyone know anything about this? Are they skipping Victoria?

No, they are not skipping Victoria. They are currently docked there (5:15pm Pacific Time).

Tom

Pew Research studies done over the past few years; there's been a lot of public backlash after tragedies when figures throw out 'thoughts and prayers" on twitter and it means nothing, only to draw attention to themselves. Some people are genuine, many are not. I suspect those who are the most genuine see no reason to draw the spotlight. Anyone who is genuine in this regard would not feel the least bit offended by simply raising factual points either. You can see how defensive some get and go right to personal attacks even when no one has addressed them. Their motives are between them and their chosen higher order, not my decision.

I googled pew research and prayer and could not find the studies you are referencing.

Could you be so kind as to provide a link to theses studies?

How many of you that have been posting will be sailing on the Emerald this year? We are sailing December 3rd for 31 days from LA to South America we are on deck 14 in a Penthouse Suite. Really looking forward to it, we have been on Emerald one other time for 14 days we are Elite with Princess.

September 2017

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you believe in prayer and wish to pray for this family then do so. It sure couldn't hurt. For those that do not believe in prayer nobody expects you to pray. Let's get past this. How a person deals with tragedy is their personal decision and it should be respected.

I googled pew research and prayer and could not find the studies you are referencing.

Could you be so kind as to provide a link to theses studies?

Just went on the Pew Research website and within 5 minutes had found at least 10 studies that would support the previous poster's characterization. I'm willing to accept the claim as not being inaccurate. Did not fully read the studies but read about 6 executive summaries so I won't vouch for the conclusions of the complete studies but they have certainly addressed the issue. One of the more interesting studies was related to Internet behavior after 9/11 as well as studies on blogs after major tragedies.

We are on Emerald Sept 17 in an Emerald deck mini suite. Really looking forward to our first Alaska cruise and first Princess cruise. Got disolusioned with RCI.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

TV news reports the homicide victim was a 39year old (very pretty) wife and mother of three teen girls, a real estate agent. Husband is in custody, family is from southern Utah. They were on a cruise to celebrate their 18th wedding anniversary with 8 other family members in their party. Husband's excuse....'she would not stop laughing at me'...then stated as the FBI cuffed him and led him away....'my life is over'. So sad for their three teen daughters.

What's that saying? 'Men are afraid women will laugh at them, women are afraid men will kill them.'

Perhaps but If you believe in spiritual things, you would know there is a difference between someone who passed away peacefully and moved on vs ones who got murdered or died due to violent and unnatural circumstance. I am fine with the former but would not want to stay in a room/cabin where something horrific occurred in there.

Seems like visiting post-WWII Europe could get dicey. 200,000 dead just in France for example. Unless you consider war to not be violent or unnatural.

Indeed, staying in any historical lodging could be a dice roll.

Or does the bad karma wear off eventually?

Seems like visiting post-WWII Europe could get dicey. 200,000 dead just in France for example. Unless you consider war to not be violent or unnatural.

It good that you're comfortable staying in a cabin/ lodging where violent death occurred. You are completely entitled to feel that way. Just as the other poster is entitled to feel as he/ she does. We are individuals. What is right for you may not be right for someone else. Let's all play nice in the sandbox.

Just went on the Pew Research website and within 5 minutes had found at least 10 studies that would support the previous poster's characterization. I'm willing to accept the claim as not being inaccurate. Did not fully read the studies but read about 6 executive summaries so I won't vouch for the conclusions of the complete studies but they have certainly addressed the issue. One of the more interesting studies was related to Internet behavior after 9/11 as well as studies on blogs after major tragedies.

It's no different than telling someone how sorry you are when someone dies. It's an easy, mostly meaningless sentiment, but otoh, what else is there to say? I'm reminded of when my grandpa died and a gentleman came up to my grandma at the funeral and said how sorry he was. Her reply was "you ain't half as sorry as I am". I have snickered about that for 30 years.

It's no different than telling someone how sorry you are when someone dies. It's an easy, mostly meaningless sentiment, but otoh, what else is there to say? I'm reminded of when my grandpa died and a gentleman came up to my grandma at the funeral and said how sorry he was. Her reply was "you ain't half as sorry as I am". I have snickered about that for 30 years.

I did not say I agreed with the sentiment or was commenting on it. Just noting that the studies referred to appear to exist.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app

Same goes for visiting the World Trade Center in New York. Princess has an excursion to visit there and we did. I definitely won't go back there again, it was a very sobering experience. I too would not book the room this woman was murdered in. I would think about the episode the whole time, and feel bad for what she went through and suffered. I'm sensitive to things like that.

Originally posted by LMaxwell It's just something people say so they can feel better; most never take the time to offer an actual prayer. But golly, they feel good about themselves. It's just a line to self-trigger a chemical reaction. It does absolutely nothing if people are not willing to talk about the real life issues at play. You nailed it.

I agree with you LMaxwell. I see the prayer thing so often that it's almost meaningless.

I did not say I agreed with the sentiment or was commenting on it. Just noting that the studies referred to appear to exist.

I would not reference a source that did not exist. There would be no point to do so. If I make a statement and someone asks what is the statement based on, I'll give a source for data. If something is my opinion and not backed by data, I will always say so as well, so no one is mislead by anything I post.

With tragedy it is natural for humans to be inquisitive. There is a natural desire to know why or how something happened. There's surely more to the story. I do genuinely hope that in trial all the facts come to light so as to provide some sense of closure for the family. I too am curious how did things escalate to this point? We'll never go back in time and alter the events, unfortunately.

I would not reference a source that did not exist. There would be no point to do so. If I make a statement and someone asks what is the statement based on, I'll give a source for data. If something is my opinion and not backed by data, I will always say so as well, so no one is mislead by anything I post.

With tragedy it is natural for humans to be inquisitive. There is a natural desire to know why or how something happened. There's surely more to the story. I do genuinely hope that in trial all the facts come to light so as to provide some sense of closure for the family. I too am curious how did things escalate to this point? We'll never go back in time and alter the events, unfortunately.

I had no doubt. I am very familiar with Pew and I know that they have been doing this research and that they are reputable. I was backing you up. Thanks for your post. I love learning and I learned as a result of it.

Hello, Dearies!!!

I am a clinical social worker for over 30 years. I believe there are ultimately two responses we have in the face of these terrible tragedies: 1) a parallel process by which some identify with the aggressor in this case and post angry, mean spirited, aggressive, and life killing comments reflecting a parallel process to the tragedy that happened aboard this ship, and, 2) an antithetical process where others, choosing to identify with the victims, post compassionate, empathetic, and sympathetic expressions in response to the trauma of the terrible murder that took place. I believe that both processes have the potential to "kick in" ... but it is our choice which process we choose (and there are too many variables that come into play in our choice to explain in this post our predilections) to help us cope with this trauma which by its nature is very difficult for us to manage.

Soooo.....if we can respectfully express our opinions given these different processes we'll all help each other look forward to smoother sailing on the Emerald -- or any other cruise ship -- in the future.

Peace and all good things!

Toot-Toot!

Cheerio, Dearies!!!!

We are sailing on the Emerald Princess in September. I was in the process of registering here, when this tragic event was announced on the tv national news.

Question -- We're brand new here, and we appreciate reading all the helpful information about cruising. However, are there any moderators to step in and help out when an argument occurs?

Such a tragedy and how so many people have so much to say about it I don't understand. I think everyone has to think how would you feel if this had happened to someone in your family, would you want people questioning or asking questions about what went on? I don't think so. I hope the questions and what people have to say stop, but somehow I don't think they will. Please think before you type..

I view it a little differently since this is only on location on the ship & you have the opportunity to know the exact location ahead of time.

Unless there have been numerous violent murders on the Emerald previously which they've covered up, I'll just avoid that one cabin location IF I go back to sailing on the Emerald.

Hello, my husband and I are new to cruising; and this is our first message at CruiseCritic. We are so sorry to hear of the death aboard the Emerald Princess. Deepest condolences to this family for their loss.

We are booked on board the Emerald in about 5 weeks for our very first cruise together. I was in the process of registering here so that we could chat with everyone, when this sad story appeared on CBS National News with Anthony Mason. :( It is a nationwide, if not worldwide story. It would have been the trip of a lifetime for us; but it is important to remember that there is really no escape from reality, and people bring their troubles and real-world problems on board with them.

With sadness, from EastBay Cruisers

Hi! We're in the same Bay Area! We're in Martinez. Yes, I saw the murder news on Channel 5 and 7 at 6pm and 11pm on Thursday after it happened on Tuesday. We read the Contra Costa Times and to date the murder has not made the newspapers :( We have never had a murder on any of our 30 cruises with Princess over the past 20 years.

Go, have fun on your first cruise. You will have a wonderful time! We leave soon for 30th Princess cruise on the Crown...flying SFO to London, sailing 17 days Southampton to NYC via Canada!

Reading this has been chilling. If children witnessed this crime, they are going to something to deal with forever.

Not a time for jokes about the coffee. Thank you for the reporting for the cruisers on the Emerald. It has to be a terrible experience. God help them all.

One of their three teen girls went screaming from the crime scene for help. This murder has affected me greatly, such as yourself. In all of our 30 cruises with Princess we've never experienced a murder aboard ship. Suicides, deaths, medical emergencies are all part of cruising with Princess....but never a murder. When tragedy strikes grief remains until a spot of laughter.....my husband and I enjoyed and laughed out loud for the first time since the murder after reading the comment about the coffee. We needed that and are thankful for it.