Murder on Emerald Princess

Aquahound

Little harsh description .... or did you read that description in the FBI affidavit??

Yes. The affidavit states "severe head wound" which one can reasonably extrapolate as blunt force trauma. Bashed in skull. A reasonable person would agree that, due to security measures about the ship, it likely was not a gunshot.

There are unconfirmed reports that the bunk bed ladder may have been the murder weapon, but obviously that will have to wait until trial since the alleged murder weapon is presumably one of many facts omitted from the affidavit (par. 4) as including it was evidently not necessary to establish probable cause for arrest.

I haven’t posted on this thread until now, perhaps because I seem to have a different reaction to this terrible situation than many here. My focus has not been on domestic violence or on the Emerald Princess passengers or crew who were victimized by what happened. Both of the above issues are indeed tragic and definitely not to be minimalized.

But there are three young teenage girls now left without either mother or father. Their parents were high school sweethearts who had been together for more than 20 years. There are grandparents, parents, siblings, and friends of both Kristy and Ken Manzanares who are now having to cope with her death. Probably all struggling with not only despair, but a sense of “could I have done something to prevent this?”.

That's where my focus is.

Yes. The affidavit states "severe head wound" which one can reasonably extrapolate as blunt force trauma. Bashed in skull.

I just wonder why you couldn't type your post using that phrase "severe head wound", instead typing such harsh descriptive words.... None of us were in that cabin that night and really have no exact details of what happened, besides the end result and what we have read in the FBI report.... So why add fuel to the fire?

More speculations like the ladder thing... like a poster wrote way back on one of the first few pages of this thread. Added descriptions and facts that are unconfirmed or unofficially reported are like playing a game of telephone. August 10th I'm sure there will be more answers.

Edited by KristyMisty14

I just wonder why you couldn't type your post using that phrase "severe head wound", instead typing such harsh descriptive words.... None of us were in that cabin that night and really have no exact details of what happened, besides the end result and what we have read in the FBI report.... So why add fuel to the fire?

More speculations like the ladder thing... like a poster wrote way back on one of the first few pages of this thread. Add descriptions and facts that are unconfirmed are like playing a game of telephone. August 10th I'm sure there will be more answers.

You have a point. But the violence and horror of this murder being couched in the PC statement that we shouldn't jump to conclusions because our murderer might have bumped his head one time or forgot to take his purple pill infuriates me. I apologize for the colorful (but likely accurate) descriptions. Lets also please remember that there are no official statements or reports that this man suffered from any mental illness whatsoever. And even if he did, he was either unable or unwilling to control it to the extent that he allegedly caused a severe head wound to his wife.

Statements about mental illness are equal to statements about the murder weapon. Fair?

I haven’t posted on this thread until now, perhaps because I seem to have a different reaction to this terrible situation than many here. My focus has not been on domestic violence or on the Emerald Princess passengers or crew who were victimized by what happened. Both of the above issues are indeed tragic and definitely not to be minimalized.

But there are three young teenage girls now left without either mother or father. Their parents were high school sweethearts who had been together for more than 20 years. There are grandparents, parents, siblings, and friends of both Kristy and Ken Manzanares who are now having to cope with her death. Probably all struggling with not only despair, but a sense of “could I have done something to prevent this?”.

That's where my focus is.

My BIl is going to kill my sister and I can assure you that I have come to terms with: there is nothing I can do about it.

They are adults. You can't tell adults what to do. You can't make them get help.

There's no doubt in my mind that alcohol played a role in this. The news article said "She wouldn't quit laughing at me!" Very bad excuse to murder your wife for. Perhaps there was some other underlying issues in the relationship. The article also said they were celebrating their wedding anniversary. Geez, some celebration! I agree about the thoughts and prayers comment. it does nothing to solve much of anything. Justice will be served.

According to the report I read in the newspaper, the family was from St. George, Utah. I would guess, therefore, that the likelihood that alcohol was a factor is slim.

My BIl is going to kill my sister and I can assure you that I have come to terms with: there is nothing I can do about it.

They are adults. You can't tell adults what to do. You can't make them get help.

OMG...you made my heart skip a beat and what you said gave me cold chills. I know you can't make your sister get help, but please, please don't give up. Keep trying to help her in any way that you can. I know most people don't understand the relationship in a domestic violence situation, but there is always hope, even if it's just a sliver.

When on the Ultimate Ship Tour on the Grand last month, one of the stops was the infirmary/hospital. Questions about deaths during a cruise came up. The doctor hosting that section of the tour said on average a death occurs every two weeks. And that is on that ship alone. Once, several years ago, they had three on a single 7 night cruise. Most are due to natural causes or illness, with no mention of the frequency of foul play.

That means that the average ship might have to deal with 26 deaths per year!

Careful with that statistic. Bigger ships = more people (pax and crew) onboard. What's the population on an "average" ship ? My average ship size (# of people) is not close to the mega ships like the Grand Princess, etc.

OMG...you made my heart skip a beat and what you said gave me cold chills. I know you can't make your sister get help, but please, please don't give up. Keep trying to help her in any way that you can. I know most people don't understand the relationship in a domestic violence situation, but there is always hope, even if it's just a sliver.

Thanks, but I gave up. I have spoken to priests, psychiatrists, counselors, etc etc etc. Someone called CPS (who did go out and take a look and then family turned on me when they decided I called and made me the evil one etc). I have learned through experience and my own counseling that the only thing I can do is detach and remove myself from the situation for my own preservation. So this is what I have done.

My other sister and I have even discussed what we would tell Greta when it hit the news-- how we would explain this when national news got wind of it.

I barely have a relationship with them now. Minimal contact. I don't put myself or my family (my family that I created is my priority now) in harm's way-- at any given minute he could snap (this case really brings that home) and no one knows when that will be.

I do believe, as the other poster I mentioned above, that the entire extended family let their guards down thinking nothing would happen with family around on a cruise ship (NOT their fault!!!) It is exhausting to always be on guard and you are always hoping for calm.

The person was just pointing out that in Utah Mormons are the majority and they do not drink. I have been to Utah and have relatives who are Mormons . It is not the person's viewpoint but a fact about Mormons and alcohol

The person was just pointing out that in Utah Mormons are the majority and they do not drink. I have been to Utah and have relatives who are Mormons . It is not the person's viewpoint but a fact about Mormons and alcohol

Agree Mormons (LDS) are the majority in Utah. However you may be surprised how many of them do drink.

If you'd like to know the cabin number, you can see it the short FBI affidavit (less than 4 pages), which I've posted here:

https://mrose.org/cc/emerald-incident-affidavit/

Thank you for this post. It's obvious that excessive alcohol consumption must have led to this act. Come on people, don't go crazy with consumption of alcohol when cruising. Nuff said, RIP km.

If the result of him not taking medications is him bashing his wife's skull in, then he should be locked up for that, too.

I whole heartedly agree with you, however, alcohol is not always the contributing factor. There may be other reasons than someone having a few too many drinks and then decides to murder their spouse.

It seems like anything bad that happens on a cruise, people are quick to assume the person must have been drunk and I disagree with that.

How about man trying to stop perp from jumping over board.

Very sad for all involved.

I too have a cruise coming up on the emerald with a group of family members mini suites all in a row. I'd like to know the cabin number,I don't know why, just curious.....

May she RIP

I to have a cruise coming up, I'd like to know the room number also

Do any of you realize that the teenagers who were left without parents could read your posts ?

A little more sensitivity may be in order.

I seriously doubt that these poor kids are spending time on CC right now.

Alcohol = medication, whatever they use to mellow out and then go bonkers. The least little thing would set the sperm donor off. Even suggest that he see a psychiatrist, would send a hand across your face. I understand DV very well. I'm so glad I'm with someone who is a real nice guy. We've been married for 48 years and I wouldn't do anything different. I feel very fortunate to live the last 50 years DV free.

I'm very sorry you had to grow up like that, I can't imagine. I'm glad you are in a happy, healthy relationship now and 48 years, wow, just wow! :)

My first marriage, I was married to an alcoholic, not abusive physically in any way, thank goodness. My DH now, doesn't drink by choice.

I think part of what you said is correct, alcohol has a lot to do with to DV, but not always. All I'm saying is that just because something like this happens, doesn't automatically mean the person was drunk.

I'm not excusing anything, I think the guy should be locked up forever, which I'm sure he will be.

I always wonder, if things are so bad, why don't people just leave the relationship. Why do they wait until it resorts to something this as horrific as this?

Edited by tonit964
puncuation

Little harsh description .... or did you read that description in the FBI affidavit??

I don't think it was a "harsh" description at all. Blunt force trauma to the head that resulted in death, blood everywhere, yeah, the guy bashed her skull in and then tried to dump her body overboard.

I always wonder, if things are so bad, why don't people just leave the relationship. Why do they wait until it resorts to something this as horrific as this?

Lots of reasons, many of them psychological. Lack of money to leave, lack of a family support system to leave, lack of knowledge of how/why/when to leave, unwillingness to leave because of children, Stockholm syndrome, convinced by family/friends that the abuse is normal, shame or ridicule from family or friends... list goes on.