Murder on Emerald Princess

Aquahound

Thanks, but I gave up. I have spoken to priests, psychiatrists, counselors, etc etc etc. Someone called CPS (who did go out and take a look and then family turned on me when they decided I called and made me the evil one etc). I have learned through experience and my own counseling that the only thing I can do is detach and remove myself from the situation for my own preservation. So this is what I have done.

My other sister and I have even discussed what we would tell Greta when it hit the news-- how we would explain this when national news got wind of it.

I barely have a relationship with them now. Minimal contact. I don't put myself or my family (my family that I created is my priority now) in harm's way-- at any given minute he could snap (this case really brings that home) and no one knows when that will be.

Unfortunately I do understand what you are saying and why you have made peace with your decision. I can't fault you for that. But my heart hurts for you and your family. I wish I had something to tell you that would make you feel better. It is so sad and so heart breaking. Be Brave.

Saying "my life is over" when you've just taken another sounds like narcissistic thinking, inability to empathize, that's a big problem. Did the husband have a history of brain trauma? Damage to the frontal lobes can trigger lack of empathy. Could be early-onset Alzheimers too, or a brain tumor, or other physical conditions. He could be an Aspergers case.Or a million other things.

Still - no excuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? REALLY?!

I have skimmed through this entire thread and have not felt the need to weigh in on all the speculation and bickering about domestic violence, etc.

But this takes the cake. As the parent of a young man who has Asperger's syndrome, I find the above statement most deeply offensive -- and it is frankly wrong.

People with Asperger's syndrome are no more likely to commit violent crimes than any other people. However, they are much more likely that the average person to be VICTIMS of crime, and are extremely likely to be victimized by bullying. Sure, some people with Asperger's may commit crimes. So does just about any group of people you could name. Why single out Asperger's and perpetuate this lie that they are more violent than others?

I repeat: people with Asperger's are not any more violent than any other group of people.

Please refrain from spreading this profoundly offensive lie about people on the autism spectrum. It is painful and false.

Sorry to contribute to the off-topic direction this thread has taken, but I just can't let this go without comment.

Trouble 1964, Here in Arizona it is against real estate law to disclose a death in a house. Even your realtor cannot disclose it if you ask them. If you notice signs you can ask about incidents surrounding the house like wondering if a house has an insurance claim within the last five years. Neither can you ask if there is a sex offender in the neighborhood, but you have to do your due diligence. That includes crimes, checking sex offender records, public records that will give you that information. Sounds dumb, but its against fair housing laws. Good realtors will can give you websites to check those things out.

Thanks for the info... never knew this.

I don't think it was a "harsh" description at all. Blunt force trauma to the head that resulted in death, blood everywhere, yeah, the guy bashed her skull in and then tried to dump her body overboard.

And that's your opinion which is what these internet message boards are for (to post opinions and discuss topics, learn things)

I feel that in discussing what happened there is no need to add such grusome words, we know the end result and is it really helping people in discussions to write such descriptive phrases, In my opinion no... but it's a free world.. thanks for sharing your opinion too :)

I am not a cleric, I am not in law enforcement, I'm not a lawyer, I'm not a social worker, etc. Until you have been close to these situations, you never know how you will react and I would not wish being close to even one of these situations on my worst enemy. I spent this afternoon with a friend who asked to see me and talk. She has had three family members murdered; one just ten days ago that has hit her hard. Another friend's daughter is serving time in prison for a shocking and heartbreaking murder. I've been dealing with the trauma of violent death of people close to me or close to people who are close to me since the age of 14 and have never lived in an area that would be known to anyone for crime. It doesn't matter how it happens or which side of the equation you are on. Life can be brutal. I have avoided responding directly to a lot of posts in this thread even though they have evoked emotional responses in me from way more incidents than I have disclosed. There have misstatements, unjustified attacks, misunderstanding of how these sorts of things play out, and a lack of frame of reference among many posters. That is to be expected and not worth responding to in any way but compassion that the person never has to experience any of these horrors first, second, or third hand. Sorry for rambling, but I think I am in part decompressing from trying to support my friend earlier and trying to make sense out of acts of violence that often defy explanation.

The person was just pointing out that in Utah Mormons are the majority and they do not drink. I have been to Utah and have relatives who are Mormons . It is not the person's viewpoint but a fact about Mormons and alcohol

Ha! That's a laugh. We cruised on the Carnival Miracle with a group of Mormons. They drank and smoked everyone under the table. They called themselves Jack Mormons. They were fun, best time ever! Closet Mormons?

Let's just be real here. While your comment may be well-meaning, it is not really grounded in statistical fact or reason. The vast majority of domestic violence is directed at women, not vice versa. So yes, people will naturally address the victim - in this case a woman who was by all accounts a lovely, wonderful person and great Mom who was brutally murdered by her much larger and clearly very angry husband who then tried to throw her body overboard. So, while I'm not denying anyone their presumption of innocence or day in court, I will vehemently argue against any scenario that even remotely tries to paint this woman - the victim who was bludgeoned to death - as anything other than that - the victim! It is tragic.

Very well said and I agree!

In the context of Cruise Critic I would say no. I think they'll be quickly sanitized.

My point exactly. This is a message board about cruising ...not an episode of CSI: DV Unit. I would never support posting pictures of the crime scene here on CC--even with warning. Please take that elsewhere.

What are the specifics this sailing again? Where was it out of and where does it return? Has it returned? If so, does anyone know if there was a swarm of media waiting for interviews?

Really? REALLY?!

I have skimmed through this entire thread and have not felt the need to weigh in on all the speculation and bickering about domestic violence, etc.

But this takes the cake. As the parent of a young man who has Asperger's syndrome, I find the above statement most deeply offensive -- and it is frankly wrong.

People with Asperger's syndrome are no more likely to commit violent crimes than any other people. However, they are much more likely that the average person to be VICTIMS of crime, and are extremely likely to be victimized by bullying. Sure, some people with Asperger's may commit crimes. So does just about any group of people you could name. Why single out Asperger's and perpetuate this lie that they are more violent than others?

I repeat: people with Asperger's are not any more violent than any other group of people.

Please refrain from spreading this profoundly offensive lie about people on the autism spectrum. It is painful and false.

Sorry to contribute to the off-topic direction this thread has taken, but I just can't let this go without comment.

And thank you for commenting. The post you are replying to was clearly over the top and inappropriate.

Though that one that victim blamed is a close second.

And the one that, because they were from St. George, they must be LDS...do people really think that way?

The whole thing is too sad, as are all the other domestic violdence murders that have gone before and since. Sometimes life sucks.

So much speculation on this thread when only a few facts are really known. You all realize that his may never come to trial - he could be offered a plea deal and take the offer which IMO, would save his children and family the additional emotional stress of having to publically live the incident all over and having to testify against him. I know if i was in this situation, I would jump at a deal and if that is the case, many of the details may never be known to the public.

Some pictures of crime scenes may not be posted on the internet. I do a lot of trial watching, and the last one that really showed pictures that was horrific for people to see was Jodi Arias trial. And one picture was absolutely horrifying that it freaked out the jurors. So a lot of them now won't let most people see them. And I hope they do not post for out of respect for the family. I hope it may never come to a full blown trial and prolong the agony for the family's sake as well. I hope the girls get some counseling. My heart goes out to them. The action affected everyone around them. My prayers for family as well.

You better stop reading these posts. Sooner of later you might find out your in the same cabin and it might ruin your trip.

That's right, we leave in April to Alaska on this Emerald, and also on Deck 9-Dolphin. My wife is concerned about the room location.

That's right, we leave in April to Alaska on this Emerald, and also on Deck 9-Dolphin. My wife is concerned about the room location.

If your wife is concerned about your room location, you have plenty of time to switch to another cabin/deck. Your cruise is far out enough (I think) that the change would be easy.

This may have been answered already, but from all accounts there was no structural damage that could not be repaired on site. Without knowing the exact extent of biological contamination I can't speak for sure as to specifics, but what will most likely happen is a specialized crime scene restoration team will be contracted to process the room. They will be responsible for a sanitation effort that makes a noro sanitation look like a brisk rinse. They will advise the ship/company as to which items need to be replaced, from soft goods to structural elements need to be replaced if they cannot be restored to original condition. They also probably will examine the corridor near the cabin, etc.

I shadowed a team like this in a hotel room and it took about 3 days to completely process the room plus another 2 days for the hotel to reset. A cruise ship may take a bit longer because of logistical issues and I would expect those two cabins plus maybe a couple more to bracket them because of potential noise issues may be taken out of service for 2-3 weeks. (If I was doing it I would block the two direct cabins, one on each side and the ones directly above and below the one being cleaned).

Also giving some time for the news to fade, I'd expect to see them come back on line right after she leaves Alaska sometime around labor day...

Other notes:

Assuming Princess follows standard serious incident protocol, counseling will be made available to relevant staff, either onshore or they will bring someone onboard as warranted and available. Affected staff may also be granted paid leave. Professional assistance may be offered to passengers directly involved as well, if they bring someone on board.

Since someone brought it up, compensation may be quietly offered to those directly involved. The family itself will be assisted by senior members of the CARE team (because of the volume of pax in Alaska they used to have CARE staff stationed in AK all season, not aware if they still do or would have to fly them in). I haven't seen if they are offering anything for Tracy Arm being missed shipwide. (I am speaking only to logistics, not the appropriateness of them offering compensation so the following is personal opinion only - anyone who harasses guest services about missing excursions or Tracy Arm after being made aware of the situation should have been put off the ship in Juneau and added to the US No Fly list - in case anyone is not aware, there is no access to Juneau except boat or plane).

Most likely, the family members will have been disembarked in Juneau and will have to remain there for several days while the investigation proceeds. I recall reading other family members were on board who hopefully can take custody of the children. Professional assistance will definitely be provided on the ground, either by Princess or a local victim assistance unit, depending on what is available and best suited for the job.

Unless serious physical damage to electrical or mechanical connections in the cabin, which I doubt there would be, most likely soft goods would be removed and replaced (cushions, mattress, carpet), a thorough cleaning and possibly ozone generator run in the cabin; but I doubt highly removing the cabin unit and slotting in another.

Thoughts and prayers are nice, but they do very little (nothing) to solve much of anything.

Discussion of the underlying issue here -- domestic violence -- is hugely important and should not be dismissed as petty bickering.

It's just something people say so they can feel better; most never take the time to offer an actual prayer. But golly, they feel good about themselves. It's just a line to self-trigger a chemical reaction. It does absolutely nothing if people are not willing to talk about the real life issues at play. You nailed it.