Your Opinions please. - as to invitations for travel companions.

sail7seas

My comment is HAL employees aren't mind readers, they can't fix a mistake they don't know about. Nobody is perfect and trying to keep track of a weeks worth of activities for a couple thousand people, even with the help of a computer, isn't an easy task. If your friend had earned the invite there would have been (imho) nothing humiliating, rude or crass about getting the error corrected.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Touche'

Yes the Friend should have received an invitation, but a MISTAKE was made by those issuing the invitations..

Come on everyone are you so perfect that you have never made a mistake?:rolleyes:

This was not done deliberately it was an innocent mistake.. Disparaging those who made the mistake on a public board in place of bringing it to someone's attention is contemptible pettiness! :(

We had a friend join us on a cruise on the Westerdam. She had not sailed on HAL before. We had guarantee cabins--and HAL did arrange for our cabins to be next door to each other. We realized that we could have been several decks apart on different decks, so that was nice of HAL to do. When it came time for the past passenger party, we did not ask if she could attend with us. I didn't even think to make such a request. But we frequently went our separate ways during the day on that cruise and met her right before dinner to go to the dining room together.

Similarly, when DH and I took his mother on a Carnival cruise, I went to the past passenger party without them since I had sailed on Carnival before and they had not.

I can see why cruise lines are cutting back on some of the perks if people are assuming that others should attend events on board that they don't qualify for. (Just like the free internet on Princess became a limited number of free minutes per cruise for those who earned the perk because people were abusing it by allowing others to log in to their accounts.)

Umm..It was a mistake! The Friend should have been invited to the brunch because she was a 2 or 3 star Mariner.. But a Mistake was made pure & simple.. Obviously there are some on this board who will not forgive those who make mistakes!.. That is very sad..:(

I'm thinking of a couple of experiences here, one Celebrity and one HAL.

My Celebrity cruise was my nephew's wedding. The bride organized it as part of the wedding program and there were about 25 people, all with linked reservations. I think the purpose of linking reservations is primarily for the dining room although there are probably some other effects. The bride was Elite or Elite+ but I never expected and was not invited to the "top tier" (about equivalent to HAL 3*) cocktail party. I don't think it is realistic to expect that linking reservations will automatically generate additional invitations.

My other experience was my first cruise on the Prinsendam. I got an invitation to the Mariner brunch but already had a lunch reservation the same day in the Pinnacle Grill. I had heard that other tablemates had been invited the next day and stopped at the front desk to see if I could get my invite switched to the other date. No problem. I suspect I may have unwittingly "crashed" a luncheon that was primarily planned for high star mariners but HAL immediately and graciously made the swap.

I think it was unrealistic to expect an automatic invitation in this case but a quick inquiry with the concierge or front desk would have generated an invitation and it was entirely appropriate to have a companion at the ceremony.

Roy

You asked for opinions....

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Forums mobile app

True, but only if those opinions are in agreement with the O.P.

Always interesting to learn how people react when their expectations are not met. Some address the issue at the time and look for resolution, some seem more comfortable looking to be upset.

I don't agree with you regarding the mariners brunch. These were two solo women cruisers traveling together with linked reservations (same assigned dining time/ table), both 4/5 stars, both in Neptune suites. Both the Neptune concierge as well as the hotel director, or whomever is figuring out assignments for the mariners brunch, should have sent them invitations for the same time. But they just aren't detailed oriented. There is nothing special about these mariner brunches anymore either. It is just like going to the MDR for lunch, but with a very limited menu and a free glass of wine.

If it was me I would have spoken up and gotten the times arranged together, but as I already posted I couldn't get an invite to any mariners brunch on a 22 night cruise even after going to the front desk multiple times and telling them we never received an invitation. So none of this surprises me.

Jade you did do the right thing by going to the Front Desk.. Now IMO you should write a letter to Mr. Ashford's office about it..

That is a serious breach in their protocol.

Touche'

Yes the Friend should have received an invitation, but a MISTAKE was made by those issuing the invitations..

Come on everyone are you so perfect that you have never made a mistake?:rolleyes:

This was not done deliberately it was an innocent mistake.. Disparaging those who made the mistake on a public board in place of bringing it to someone's attention is contemptible pettiness! :(

I agree with this. Mistakes happen, there are oversights in this world. On our last cruise we did not receive an invitation to the lunch, this paper invite was likely lost in the shuffle. We didn't care, to us this is trivial. If it is important to others they need to speak up.

Ship staff and crew are not mind readers and they don't know what they don't know. I would hope they are focused on big picture items such as food, service, ship condition, ambience.

My prediction is that they will discontinue the distribution of trinkets like tiles, cheap pins. I highly doubt new cruisers and young people want this stuff. Years ago I took some of these home, they ended up in a junk drawer. I threw them out the next time I decluttered. Now we leave them on the desk in the cabin and hope they are recycled.

They can also discontinue the lunch, not a perk IMO.

Find a way to give past passengers a free drink.

How would you feel as a five star mariner if someone else had brought a 3 or 4 star mariner who wasn't even in the same cabin to a five star mariner event? Wouldn't that kind of cheapen the experience for all the five star mariners?

I wouldn't care. :)

Really...if this was your big complaint on the cruise then it sounds to me like you had a wonderful cruise.

Let it go and move on. It is not as though a HAL cocktail party is the social event of the season.

Why didn't the friend inquire about the lack of an invitation to the Mariners' Brunch? I don't think that oversight is yours to correct; if your friend didn't pursue it, why would you? ( I didn't)
Did you think I pursued it?

That is one of my points.... Neither of us pursued itwhile on the ship. , do not regret that choi ce and would do the same should that circumstance arise again..

Did you think I did pursue it?

That is one of my points.... Neither of us pursued itwhile on the ship. , do not regret that choi ce and would do the same should that circumstance arise again..

So why pursue it here? :rolleyes:

We are hardly new cruisers but we do not see any attraction in the trinkets and trash. The pins, medallions, ribbons, whatever. Next years trash or garage sale baubles.

Same with those special lunches. What is so special with hundreds of people crowding into a room just to get a free meal (that you actually paid for and is available elsewhere for free on the ship) and a glass of very cheap wine? Nor do we even want our names called our or recognized as a long time customer.

he very best way to recognize our custom is to give us a fare reduction (NOT an increase) or perhaps a real upgrade...not an upgrade within a balcony cabin category.

Did you think I pursued it?

Well then why bring to this forum? If you had a gripe while on the ship, deal with it there, and as I said before, give the concierge a chance to correct an oversight.

I wouldn't care. :)

Sail, if you think back to when the star system was first introduced you were one of the most vocal opponents because you said it took away from the suite benefits you paid for and gave them for free to non suite occupants.

Are you saying you have softened your stance?

How many times have we heard ship officers and staff say something like this onboard...

"If something is not to your liking, please let us know onboard so we can make it right. We can't fix it after you get home."

If the joint attendance of both the OP and her traveling companion to the events that they BOTH were entitled to attend was so important, it could have (and should have) been casually mentioned to the NL concierge. That's ALL it would have taken.

Instead, OP is doing exactly what we preach to others not to do.

If something isn't right, LET THEM KNOW while you are onboard. Don't stew about it and then come home and trash HAL on social media.

OP did not even give HAL a chance to make this right. :rolleyes:

Sail, if you think back to when the star system was first introduced you were one of the most vocal opponents because you said it took away from the suite benefits you paid for and gave them for free to non suite occupants.

Are you saying you have softened your stance?

I donot see a correlation . Before there was a Star Mariner program there was and still is a Medallion Program which runs concurrently. All Mariners regardless of whic h ever mariner Program you fa vor are eligible for the Brunch. BTW. I do not recall when the S tar Program was introdued. Do you recall when? Wouldn't shock me IIF, IF, IF I CHanged an opinion in all tthe in tervening years. It might have been as many as 7-8 years (or more) since fhey added Star Progarm. I have endured many life changing events in the last 8-10 years. There is a reason some life events are called 'life changing ' They have changed muc h ab out me as they would most people. I have learned a kind word, a kind sentiment costs nothing but can soften pain when shared

Edited by sail7seas

I wanted the opinions of others.

The reason for your underline and color change to red?

Seems to me like you only wanted the opinion of others who agreed with you! Everybody else you basically accused of not understanding your position.

p.s. The red was to emphasize that you did not regret your choice. So I ask again, why pursue it here?

Making mountains out of molehills. I'm sure the NL lounge concierge would have happily resolved the situation. Instead, you did not give them the opportunity, so now, no amount of whining and complaining don't solve anything. Since you did nothing when it actually could have helped, let it go.

I donot see a correlation. Before there was a Star Mariner program there was and still is a Medallion Programfam which runs concurently. What does Medallion Preoggaam have to do with Suite b enefits? You raised and unrelated question to the subject of tghis thread, , IMO.

The medallion programme has nothing to do with suite benefits as the programme has no benefits at all.

However the star programme offers free laundry along with priority boarding, tendering and disembarkation. They are all suite benefits as well, and I read your many posts complaining about the introduction of those benefits to people who had not paid for them.

As to my raising something unrelated to what you said, just a few posts back you said you didn't care if lesser starred people got benefits that higher starred people were entitled to.

Next time you need a hotel check into an Embassy Suites, a Marriott Residence Inn, or a few others that I cannot recall.

They will invite you to a cocktail party, provide wine,etc, and some munchies. Any you don't have to be a long standing customer to be invited. You can attend even if it is your first stay. And you can bring all of your room mates or travelling companions (pets excuded of course)

Or check into a business floor room in any of the major hotel chains. Same procedure. All that is usually required is your room key/room card. Same deal....could be your first visit or visit 1000. No need to wait for an invite.

Making mountains out of molehills. I'm sure the NL lounge concierge would have happily resolved the situation. Instead' date=' you did not give them the opportunity, so now, no amount of whining and complaining don't solve anything. Since you did nothing when it actually could have helped, let it go.[/quote']You are right . It doesn't mattter and I am done with it, however, for my own reasons, I do not consider I have wasted my time. No one ever need waste their time here and t read or post to any threads they wish to skip. So, again, thank you to those who shared comments.

You are right . It doesn't mattter and I am done with it, however, for my own reasons, I do not consider I have wasted my time. No one ever need waste their time here and t read or post to any threads they wish to skip. So, again, thank you to those who shared comments.

You're welcome, and remember when asking for opinions, it's "buyer beware".