Your Opinions please. - as to invitations for travel companions.

sail7seas

This post just seems so passive aggressive: harboring ill feelings because you felt it was in bad taste to contact the cruise director. (to the best of my knowledge..... cruise director is not the one to contact.) Your girl friend in another cabin was either entitled to an invite or she wasn't; if she wasn't then it is in bad taste for you to bad mouth HAL; if she was there is nothing "tacky" in her asking to get what she earned.

I clearly stated my friend has sailed HAL a number of times and is, indeed a repeat Mariner". thus entitled to invitation to Mariner's Brunch. No if, ands or buts about it. So, No bad taste about my speaking up ab out HAL and bad mouthing this circumstance They blew it badly, IMO.. The responsibillity was not mine to indicate who should be on their guest list. That falls to GRM andhis or her front office staff. The c hoice was mine to make and my prefeence was to not attend the events. My friend was eligible as a Mariner andyet she was not invited to any mairner Brunch.(she most certainaly should have been) she and her DH had always been invited to all parties when they sailed with me and my DH. We went to all and so did she. She 'qaulifies......... as you put it. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Very often there are so many Mariners on a cruise that more than one luncheon is held. The Mariners with the higher number of days are invited to the medallion ceremony, and the luncheon that follows immediately, while the Mariners with fewer days are invited to a luncheon at a later time.

If people traveling together in different cabins want to attend together, then they just need to speak up and ask that the arrangements be made t that IS why we linked our reservations Before I left home, I confirmed with my pCC we were, indeed linked..

With well over 800 days on HAL ships, and many years on this forum, I am aware there are sometimes multiple Mairner brunches. my friend received No invitation to any Mariner Brunch. I thought I had expressed that? What is a glaring error is when a married couple, sharing a cabin, on the same booking number, aren't invited to the same ceremonies. That happened to my friends recently. He was to be awarded his silver medallion; she had received hers on a prior cruise. She wasn't invited to his presentation ceremony.

This was very easy to resolve when she went to the Front Desk to have it straightened out. Oh well,,,,,,,,,,,,, missed my chance to wear my Platinum medallion to Brunc h. :D

i

These kinds of mix-ups happen on every ship from time to time; it certainly isn't the first time I have heard of this. But HAL can't correct a mistake if they aren't given the opportunity.

Something is lacking in HAL's procedure, as far as I'm concerned. There should never be a question that two people sharing a cabin should have both included in every invitation issued. I'll be happy if HAL can get that right; including people in different cabins, with different booking numbers is a challenge I wouldn't give them until they master inviting couples.

That says nothing about the fact she was invited to NO Mariner Brunch. Not my responsilbility to aid in their on the job training. Edited by sail7seas

I clearly stated my friend has sailed HAL a number of times and is, indeed a repeat Mariner". thus entitled to invitation to Mariner's Brunch. No if, ands or buts about it. So, No bad taste about my speaking up ab out HAL and bad mouthing this circumstance They blew it badly, IMO.. The responsibillity was not mine to indicate who should be on their guest list. That falls to GRM andhis or her front office staff. The c hoice was mine to make and my prefeence was to not attend the events. My friend was eligible as a Mariner andyet she was not invited to any mairner Brunch.(she most certainaly should have been) she and her DH had always been invited to all parties when they sailed with me and my DH. We went to all and so did she. She 'qaulifies......... as you put it. :)

Stuff happens Things fall through the cracks people make mistakes we are all human if it was so important to you you should have said something to have it rectified and not complain in a venue where nothing can be done if you're that concerned write a letter to HAL and be done with it

I wonder if there could have been a glitch in HAL's system ( it's been known to happen from time to time) whereby when your reservations were linked it was assumed that the invitation to invited party would automatically be extended to the linked party?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That says nothing about the fact she was invited to NO Mariner Brunch.

Then it was up to her to question where her invitation, at whatever time, was. If there was an error, your friend didn't give anyone an opportunity to correct it.

You didn't miss an opportunity to have your picture taken with the Captain and Hotel Manager---you chose not to attend. You chose not to bring it up on the ship, where the situation could be addressed and you could be accommodated.

It's all about choices.

I feel sympathetic toward Sail. There was a time (when ships were smaller and staffs were larger) when there was much more attention to social details. Two solo Suite passengers traveling together, one a 5 star Mariner, would have been noted when invitation lists were organized. Officers and key staff made a point of greeting guests and chatting with them at small gatherings. Cruising was a very gracious experience.

Alas, in this age when the lists are cranked out by a computer, it doesn't seem that there are any staff people on board with any real responsibility for the guest lists or tone and atmosphere of these "special" events. Certainly Mariner brunches sometimes have the most substandard food and rushed dining room service I've ever seen on HAL, so I tend to skip them now.

Part of the pleasure of a special event should have been both of you receiving an invitation separately. However, given the computerized reality of today's Mariner Society, I would have spoken to the front desk rather than miss having my friend accompany me.

I guess I'm blessed none of this sort matters to me. Once I had a special needs child, such seemed like utter nonsense. Having her on vacation w us is priceless.

We wish you the best.

Mrs. Afeez Usman (Jennifer)

Some people like you have more important concerns. I'M glad your family enjoyed your cruise.

I guess my wife and I have been fortunate to meet many captains, hotel directors, chefs, etc. outside of formal affairs. Almost all approachable and gracious.

Others do enjoy formal events that is why the have them.

Unrelated people traveling in separate cabins, even if their reservations are linked, shouldn't automatically be invited to events they don't qualify for. I say it's the OP's own fault for not asking whether it would be OK to bring a guest.

We had tablemates on a Princess cruise who invited us to join them for the past passenger party--something for which we qualified to attend based on our status, but as their guests, we were able to enter early and sit with them at a reserved table in the front of the room instead of joining the queue of people waiting to get in.

In a perfect world, the error would have been noticed and rectified or, indeed, would never have occurred at all. In a perfect world, as a business traveler my flights would mostly ( heck, even 50% I would gladly take!) depart and arrive as scheduled.

Yet I live in our imperfect world. Things go wrong, including with all cruiselines, on occasion. I do empathize with Sail, as who wants to have to rectify issues whilst on holiday after all? I also agree with poster CBR above, re not accepting mediocrity as good service.

In this case, however, and with respect to Sail who I met years ago on a cruise and who makes a good contribution to this board, a quiet word to the NL concierge would have likely resolved this issue before it became a problem. It was not a request for a favour; rather, it would have been reporting an error.

Better to do so then to stew about it and to forgo activities to which one looked forward, like a cocktail reception, etc. Just my two cents.

Very often there are so many Mariners on a cruise that more than one luncheon is held. The Mariners with the higher number of days are invited to the medallion ceremony, and the luncheon that follows immediately, while the Mariners with fewer days are invited to a luncheon at a later time.

If people traveling together in different cabins want to attend together, then they just need to speak up and ask that the arrangements be made.

What is a glaring error is when a married couple, sharing a cabin, on the same booking number, aren't invited to the same ceremonies. That happened to my friends recently. He was to be awarded his silver medallion; she had received hers on a prior cruise. She wasn't invited to his presentation ceremony.

This was very easy to resolve when she went to the Front Desk to have it straightened out.

These kinds of mix-ups happen on every ship from time to time; it certainly isn't the first time I have heard of this. But HAL can't correct a mistake if they aren't given the opportunity.

Something is lacking in HAL's procedure, as far as I'm concerned. There should never be a question that two people sharing a cabin should have both included in every invitation issued. I'll be happy if HAL can get that right; including people in different cabins, with different booking numbers is a challenge I wouldn't give them until they master inviting couples.

IMO Ruth is absolutely correct..Psgrs in the same cabin should get identical invitations.. Your Friend should have received an invitation to one of the Mariners luncheons, & if she did not IMO you should have brought this small mistake to the Concierge's or Front Desks attention..

IMO it is ill mannered & shameful to badmouth a company for making an error on a public message board, if you never brought the error to someone's attention while on your cruise.. I'm sure they would have been chagrined by their small mistake..

This could have easily been taken care of on board at the time it happened, but rather than speak up, especially since it was of such importance, you chose to wait until you could complain here. I don't get it. I've read your posts for 10 years and you've always praised HAL for their wonderful service...seems you could cut them some slack this one time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I completely agree with you!:confused: It just looks like the OP did not receive the special attention that she thinks she should have received..:rolleyes: The choice was hers!

My comment is HAL employees aren't mind readers, they can't fix a mistake they don't know about. Nobody is perfect and trying to keep track of a weeks worth of activities for a couple thousand people, even with the help of a computer, isn't an easy task. If your friend had earned the invite there would have been (imho) nothing humiliating, rude or crass about getting the error corrected.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry your friend was not invited to the festivities for 4 star and above. If you had shared a cabin, it may have been different but 'rules are rules'. I travel as a solo but have friends who have our TA's tie our reservations which only ensures we will have dinner together, nothing else per my TA. Did you speak with the hotel director or the concierge about bringing your friend?

I understand your point of view @Sail. I believe that a measure of excellent customer service is that you should not have to ask for anything. Service providers should know and understand their customers so as to anticipate and easily meet their needs. I would have also felt it inappropriate for me to have asked for invitations for a friend.

Sadly, I am seeing this business model more and more. I noticed when we sailed on HAL this past June in a Vista Suite that a fruit basket was an amenity, upon request. This "upon request" changes the whole customer service experience and not for the better. To me, it screams, if there is a problem the customer will tell us, otherwise, everything is okay. This is a basic, reactive response that lacks involvement and commitment. And this mindset is starting to gain roots throughout HAL.

I don't feel that this is an entitlement issue or a rules based issue. Every crew member on a ship should be asking themselves what can I do to make a difference for this passenger? How can I add value? How can I brighten someone's day? How can I turn a simple cocktail hour or brunch into an experience that someone will not forget?

When we settle for mediocrity, we get mediocrity. I am surprised how many people willingly condone and accept it.

This is well written. I am not surprised. We were on Veendam in 2012 on a long 22 night cruise from South America to NYC and were not invited to the mariner brunch. This was even after I went to the front desk multiple times to ask when the brunch would be because we had not received an invitation. I kept getting the "madam the invitation will be sent to your room". The third or fourth time I went to the front desk I was told "madam, didn't you get your invitation". It turns out the last brunches were held just hours earlier and we were forgotten. Now that is poor customer service because no matter how many times I went to that front desk they just kept brushing me off until we missed all of the lunches.

As to the fruit baskets, you have had to ask for them to be filled for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I completely disagree with the expectations of the poster. If you were invited to something you were entitled to and she wasn't entitled, she doesn't get an invitation. Plain and simple.

I don't agree with you regarding the mariners brunch. These were two solo women cruisers traveling together with linked reservations (same assigned dining time/ table), both 4/5 stars, both in Neptune suites. Both the Neptune concierge as well as the hotel director, or whomever is figuring out assignments for the mariners brunch, should have sent them invitations for the same time. But they just aren't detailed oriented. There is nothing special about these mariner brunches anymore either. It is just like going to the MDR for lunch, but with a very limited menu and a free glass of wine.

If it was me I would have spoken up and gotten the times arranged together, but as I already posted I couldn't get an invite to any mariners brunch on a 22 night cruise even after going to the front desk multiple times and telling them we never received an invitation. So none of this surprises me.

I do think that HAL should honor people traveling together even if they are in separate cabins. It just doesn't sit right with me that you are on a 'mutual holiday' and one person gets excluded. Especially since they make more money out of these travelers anyway as they both booked solo.

I can certainly understand how in some countries angling for an invitation is very rude, so this policy of HAL's can cause issues.

When I sailed the first time with my severely handicapped aunt, we made the decision to have me in the cabin with mr. Cruisebunny and her in the handicapped cabin. We did ask for an invitation for her, because we like the mariner lunches and asking her to eat by herself wasn't possible. We got it no problems from the front desk, which was very much appreciated.

The only hiccup on that cruise is that we were invited to the VIP party, which was hosted in a non-wheelchair accessible part of the ship. We also met another couple that were unable to join due to wheelchair issues. Issuing such an invitation in my opinion felt like bad taste, but didn't lessen our enjoyment. Still one of the best holidays I've been on.

This is well written. I am not surprised. We were on Veendam in 2012 on a long 22 night cruise from South America to NYC and were not invited to the mariner brunch. This was even after I went to the front desk multiple times to ask when the brunch would be because we had not received an invitation. I kept getting the "madam the invitation will be sent to your room". The third or fourth time I went to the front desk I was told "madam, didn't you get your invitation". It turns out the last brunches were held just hours earlier and we were forgotten. Now that is poor customer service because no matter how many times I went to that front desk they just kept brushing me off until we missed all of the lunches. I rmember that, JAde. Seems they have not learned from their past slip ups and are still making same missteps.

As to the fruit baskets, you have had to ask for them to be filled for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Some do not wish to 'get it'

riginally posted by Homosassa

That is also my opinion. I AM Q uite sure I mentioned several times my friend is a multiple time repeat Mariner and is either 3 or 4 star. That maKES her eligible for the brunch. Seeing that p eople who have never previously sailed HAL automati ally become r one star if they have sailed any of the Cartnial Family of ships. My friend is certainly eliGIBLE. unarguab le. . iT HAS NOTHing to do with my status other than signature of excellence guest curtertesy. SHe has her own status .

This is not confusing and I am (finally) starting to under sttand those who repeatedly posggt she was not eligibile. That foggy haze is not credi ble . It is only confusing, IMO if one wishes to not

grasp the issue.

Thanks for letting me air my grievance.

If there was a memo tha t stated I am only to post positive comments aboutr HAL as was implied, I must have not received it or forgot about it.

Edited by sail7seas

We had a friend join us on a cruise on the Westerdam. She had not sailed on HAL before. We had guarantee cabins--and HAL did arrange for our cabins to be next door to each other. We realized that we could have been several decks apart on different decks, so that was nice of HAL to do. When it came time for the past passenger party, we did not ask if she could attend with us. I didn't even think to make such a request. But we frequently went our separate ways during the day on that cruise and met her right before dinner to go to the dining room together.

Similarly, when DH and I took his mother on a Carnival cruise, I went to the past passenger party without them since I had sailed on Carnival before and they had not.

I can see why cruise lines are cutting back on some of the perks if people are assuming that others should attend events on board that they don't qualify for. (Just like the free internet on Princess became a limited number of free minutes per cruise for those who earned the perk because people were abusing it by allowing others to log in to their accounts.)

That is also my opinion.

You must have misse d the places I postedthat my friend needs no status form me or anyone else. She is a multiple star Mariner having sailed H AL a number of times. Shr is eligible for brunch invitation.ll No need for me to repeat it aga in. . If one does not wish to ge the point, they will not..

Thanks again for letting me vent. Some acutally read it.