On board the Odyssey

Sunprince

I hope you don't mind, but I do beg to differ!

I'm from the UK but have a home in Spain also, so we do spend a lot of time there as well as travelling round beautiful Spain.

We have always found that yes, children do stay up late, often arriving at a restaurant when we are finishing, sometimes as late as 11pm. And just about all the time the chidren are really well behaved. They sit with parents and other adults, try any food going and rarely get down from the table and run around (unlike some other nationalities and I'm sorry to say that includes British!)

I can only imagine these spanish children were over excited on the cruise and TBH it is a bit boring for kids isn't it. And they really shouldn't have been in the pool whilst caviar was being served!

Well, I just got back from Spain ..... my sister has lived there for 35 years and is married to a Spaniard .... so I do have a little bit of experience. Both you and Lincslady have agreed that Spanish children are often up pretty late which explains why they were around and about in the Observation Lounge. I stand by the other part of my observation - although that will differ family by family - and it was certainly the case last week when we were usually eating in beachside restaurants.

The reality, of course, is that Seabourn and younger children don't really mix that well. Unfortunately, that does not stop some families from bringing them on-board in the holiday season. Young children have energy to burn, do get excitable and are generally hard work. Their parents, also on holiday, often don't have them on a tight leash.

NB. I don't have a problem with older children who are usually very well behaved and generally try to avoid us older adults.

From my point of view, the only solution is to avoid the holiday season and cruise at different times of year.

Well, I just got back from Spain ..... my sister has lived there for 35 years and is married to a Spaniard .... so I do have a little bit of experience. Both you and Lincslady have agreed that Spanish children are often up pretty late which explains why they were around and about in the Observation Lounge. I stand by the other part of my observation - although that will differ family by family - and it was certainly the case last week when we were usually eating in beachside restaurants.

The reality, of course, is that Seabourn and younger children don't really mix that well. Unfortunately, that does not stop some families from bringing them on-board in the holiday season. Young children have energy to burn, do get excitable and are generally hard work. Their parents, also on holiday, often don't have them on a tight leash.

NB. I don't have a problem with older children who are usually very well behaved and generally try to avoid us older adults.

From my point of view, the only solution is to avoid the holiday season and cruise at different times of year.

Yes, I agree with all you say, it only takes some lazy parenting for everyone in the vicinity to be affected! :)

Also agree that SB and young children don't really mix, if I was wanting to cruise with young children, SB would not be in the picture! (too much pressure trying to make sure they behaved all the time!)

We've only done 2 SB cruises (3rd booked - can't wait!) and I've yet to see a child onboard but that's because of the itineraries and timings I know.

Ok, we just left the Colonnade and saw quite a few men in shorts pants, which we don't wear at night. I asked the maitre'd and he said that short pants for men in the Colonnade are perfectly acceptable. Just not in the main restaurant. I thought the dress code was different. Perhaps we will leave than one for Markham to sort out [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sunprince you most certainly are correct and the Maitre 'd is wrong. I am quoting verbatim from the "what to pack" section of the travel planner for my July cruise:

"Men: slacks with a collared dress shirt or sweater .... this is the dress standard for all dining venues."

You might want to politely inform the Maitre 'd as to Seabourn's written policy. If he does not acknowledge this then speak with the Hotel Director.

Patti (techno) is correct. I was being lazy in not typing out the remainder of the "elegant casual" dress code. So here it is -- after "sweater" insert the following:

"Jacket optional

Ladies: slacks/skirt, blouse, pantsuit or dress.

This dress standard for all dining venues.

Jeans are welcome in all dining venues during the day.

Jeans are not appropriate in the Restaurant after 6PM"

Well, it's great to be home! That's my view of Odyssey after a mere 18 hours. First was the usual check-in at Valletta, lots of warm greetings there and onboard with lunch at the Colonnade. (I was wearing a boring white tennis shirt- so no link to the other fellow.) Then a quick unpack at 14:00 when the suite was ready and a walk-about to see whatever changes have been made since our last Ody cruise 16 months ago.

The ship looks just great. As Sunprince has explained, there is new carpet everwhere and the change in that green leather seating surface in the Observation Bar favor a dark blue textured fabric is welcome: more sophisticated and comfortable, in my opinion. The thick glass surface of the central bar which over these several years suffered edge chips is now black granite. The TK Grill is a triumph with the former R2 wine storage area turned into a reservations platform and there are many more tables for 2 and 4 and few for larger groups. Maybe some convert. Lots of walnut and burgundy leather. We will be there tonight after the captain's welcome party in the Grand Salon. Over in our suite, any scuffs on the skirting boards have been repaired, painted or the trim replaced. Our home away from home is lookin' great!

And the best news relative to my earlier brief about Latin children is that they must have been offloaded, so to speak, yesterday morning. And so the new and remaining children at the pool area during the 18:00 deck 8 CD's welcome party appeared well supervised while they too were enjoying themselves! Captain Bathgate circulated about and was complimentary about recent, new ports in Greece and what's ahead for us during our 2 weeks to Piraeus.

One more thing for now: I don't get the significance, if there is one, to an observation we made at the 17:15 safety drill in the MDR where everyone's keycard was scanned and the drill was conducted so smoothly and quickly, but no one at all made a sound! Where at a large venue for 20 minutes on a Seabourn ship have you ever witnessed that? Ok, there are lots of first timers, and the tone was set early by David, F&B Manager. And so the contrast with what I had been expecting on account of last segment is remarkable.

And lastly, someone must have misheard the stuff about shorts at dinner in the Colonnade. Seabourn Square confirms that the guidance for gentlemen precludes them. On the personnel side, the GSS is Morgan and Tour Manager is Murat- yes, that Murat. I have not encountered the HD but he is Stratos.

More later and after meeting Sunprince.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Addition and correction: we find all new chairs outside at the Colonnade for our first breakfast. And we are on Ody until Venice, not Piraeus...

I like the new chairs, but not the cushions. The seat is covered in vinyl rather than fabric, making them very hot and sticky to sit on.

I agree with Sunprince re the vinyl cushions in the Colonnade - they do tend to stick to the back of the legs if one is wearing shorts :o

As inappropriate as it might be...I have resorted to placing a napkin on the seat on really hot days.

And lastly, someone must have misheard the stuff about shorts at dinner in the Colonnade. Seabourn Square confirms that the guidance for gentlemen precludes them.

Markham, it was Joshua the officer in charge of the Colonnade. I did not mishear him. I clearly asked him if the evening dress code policy had changed to allow men in shorts in the Colonnade. This was after seeing at least 3 men in shorts. Joshua replied that shorts for men we ok in the Colonnade but not in the restaurant. You may wish to ask him the same question so we can compare responses!

Markham thank you for your update and confirmation of the policy on shorts at night in the dining venues. However, Sunprince actually witnessed passengers wearing the shorts and the crew person with whom he spoke told him it was allowed. So it was that crew member who was in error -- not Sunprince. As to why he would say that, either he is really ignorant of the policy or he does not want to make waves. I am afraid that one of the shortcomings of Seabourn's "willingness to please" approach is that the staff seem reluctant to enforce Seabourn's guidelines and rules in the name of not making the customers unhappy. The Dress Code has been the biggest victim of this attitude. I would love to see a Seabourn corporate incorporate more training in the area of how to pleasantly tell a passenger what they are doing is against set policy. Honestly, the Dress Code has been so watered down that surely seeking compliance of these minimal standards can be accomplished without alienating a passenger. Towel wrapped bathing suits in the Club for Trivia is right about on par with the man I saw at Seabourn Sqaure every morning on my recent Alaska cruise picking up his coffee in his pajamas. No excuse for either attire.

Markham thank you for your update and confirmation of the policy on shorts at night in the dining venues. However, Sunprince actually witnessed passengers wearing the shorts and the crew person with whom he spoke told him it was allowed. So it was that crew member who was in error -- not Sunprince. As to why he would say that, either he is really ignorant of the policy or he does not want to make waves. I am afraid that one of the shortcomings of Seabourn's "willingness to please" approach is that the staff seem reluctant to enforce Seabourn's guidelines and rules in the name of not making the customers unhappy. The Dress Code has been the biggest victim of this attitude. I would love to see a Seabourn corporate incorporate more training in the area of how to pleasantly tell a passenger what they are doing is against set policy. Honestly, the Dress Code has been so watered down that surely seeking compliance of these minimal standards can be accomplished without alienating a passenger. Towel wrapped bathing suits in the Club for Trivia is right about on par with the man I saw at Seabourn Sqaure every morning on my recent Alaska cruise picking up his coffee in his pajamas. No excuse for either attire.

Oh, I can top that! There was an older couple who would come to the pool with a robe over their swimsuits in the morning. They would walk the track for a bit, then swim. After the swim, he would hold a towel while she took off her swimsuit and put the robe back on. He would then put on a robe and take his swimsuit off. They would then roll their swimsuits in fresh towels. Every. Single. Morning. (I walked the track a couple of hours every day)

The plot thickens and at this time I have an appointment with the HD. About what? Sunprince is absolutely right as to what he heard from/about the Colonnade Md'hotel. I just too, from the gentleman in the center of this myself, to my disappointment and amazement!

Needless to say this rankles. It makes no sense to me either. No one at Seabourn Square believes it- just like I did not believe what had been reported here. The penny will drop at 10:00 am.

Moving along, we had a beautiful dinner at TK Grill last night, identical in food quality, presentation and service to what we enjoyed on Encore last winter. Of course the venue here is smaller and there is no "Katie's Bar"

but then you have The Club which somehow was under-delivered and thereby disappoints on Encore. Md' Ivan does a terrific job; we were seated near our Staff Captain and Hotel Director so had a chance to compare notes further about the Odyssey's recent refit that included 700 contractors on board at one point!

More later...

My meeting with Stratos, HD, is over and we covered the bases starting with what's out there: the dress codes shown in the Herald, specifically today's, which is elegant casual, and as quoted by Chairsin above.

We agreed that on its own, the wording is clear enough, but could well be improved to stipulate that shorts are not appropriate for gentlemen in The Colonnade; hopefully and such upgrade to the wording would circumvent potential misunderstandings. So that's a topic for him to take up with head office, maybe alongside thoughts from the other HDs who also are dealing with hot weather cruises and new-to-Seabourn demographics.

We also discussed policy that might be accommodating towards those who will insist on wearing shorts for dinners at the deck 8 venues - as distinct from the MDR where shorts would simply not be acceptable and allowed at dinner. Expressly communicating that shorts at meals at The Patio might be a smart idea.

So, as usual, the issues are around staff training, clear printed guidlelines, some degree if flexibility given weather, theme nights etc, that underlying policy be implemented evenly and accurately on all the ships, and confirmed formally by head office. In this case we see that semantics between passengers and staff matter greatly and that there is a big difference in meaning between "shorts are allowed" and "officially and with our elegant casual guidelines, shorts are not appropriate in the venue".

I am very pleased with the meeting. Stratos is a seasoned veteran HD, extremely thoughtful, a great listener and willing communicator. So with regards to coordinating nuance with staff and ideas with the other ships and head office, he will be delivering positive outcomes here.

Stratos, Chef Kurt and the team will be serving up fresh grilled lobsters poolside in a couple of hours on this sea day between Gozo and Spetsai, Captain Bathgate's favorite Greek port, as he said at last night's Grand Salon welcome party. These 2 events are especially well executed on the Odyssey class ships.

Well done on the dress code - but could be tricky to enforce on this cruise, if shorts have already been allowed in the Colonnade in the evening for several chaps?

I agree that shorts (especially in your present weather conditions) at the Patio Grill and bar would seem appropriate.

How interesting. As a Spaniard (usually quiet, polite and well educated), I don´t see too many differences in how my coutryfellows behave compared to other nationalities. I even remembered how noissy were some Americans in my Odyssey cruise some years ago. But anyway, I suppose I wasn´t lucky. Judging people according to their passport seem a quite xenophobe remark to me.

I think it was just because there was a majority of large families who happened to be Spanish. Sorry that there was one what I would consider to be a xenophobic comment on here.

To change the subject slightly - I wonder who the Cruise Director is on this cruise? Presumably the one who allowed the children to be in the pool when it was the caviar splash?