YTD, Do they seat you w others?

LucyB.

We chose TYD for our Oct. Elation cruise. Family of 4. First time choosing this feature. Our schedule is pretty strict at home. On vac. we like to be flexible.

My question is, will we only dine w just us 4, or do they seat you with others? Do they give you the option for a bigger table?

What if it's just me & the hubs on our "date night"? Is asking for a table for two ok?

I think my family would be fine eating w strangers, I'm just curious. Thanks.

The norm is to sit you with others. Whether with the whole family or just the parents, you'll be asked if sharing (with strangers) is sufficient. If so, have fun! If not, you'll be seated with just your family. Now, if you and DH arrive at a peak time, there may be a wait for a table for two, and you may get that uncomfortable section where all the tables are less than two feet apart from each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes and no. It kind of depends. With YTD on the last cruise, we at times had a table for two and at times were seated at a table of 10. We never made any requests for a certain sized table and just took the "next up" approach. From what I have seen/heard, you can request special seating (table size, wait staff, location) and they will try to accommodate. If you have a request, it may increase your wait time for a table.

Yes and no. It kind of depends. With YTD on the last cruise, we at times had a table for two and at times were seated at a table of 10. We never made any requests for a certain sized table and just took the "next up" approach. From what I have seen/heard, you can request special seating (table size, wait staff, location) and they will try to accommodate. If you have a request, it may increase your wait time for a table.

This is correct. As a party of 4, they will probably seat you at a 4 top most of the time. You can request whatever size you want but may get a beeper and have to wait if your request is not immediately available.

You can request what you would like each night.

Fixed that for ya. With YTD, you are not limited to your choice on the first night. You can change it up.

No the norm is not to seat you with others unless you ask for that.

It is like going to a restaurant on land.

You tell the hostess how many in your party and they will find a table for you for that number. It can be for 4 or for 2 or to share with others.

We like to have a table for 2 unless we meet folks on the ship with whom we wish to share a meal. We also like to keep the same wait staff during the cruise so we ask to be seated in the same area each night. If we don't like the staff then we change areas until we find staff we really enjoy. There are 2 tops and 4 tops in the same area so you can change the table size and still keep the staff that you have gotten to know.

We have never been asked if we wanted to sit with others. We've had 5 people, 4 people and 2 people and they always gave us our own table. We've asked about sitting with others and they told us it might be a bit of a wait because they'd have to get others to fill the table, so we end up just sitting by ourselves.

Last time I had YTD they actually attempted to put me and the hubby in a booth with another couple - For one hubby and I don't like sharing the same side of the booth to begin with and then secondly we did not want to share same side plus be playing footsies with strangers - All we did was ask them to move us and they gave us our own private table - They will give you what is available sometimes its private and then like the last one we shared a big round table which was fine by me I just don't want to be crowded into a booth with people

We chose TYD for our Oct. Elation cruise. Family of 4. First time choosing this feature. Our schedule is pretty strict at home. On vac. we like to be flexible.

My question is, will we only dine w just us 4, or do they seat you with others? Do they give you the option for a bigger table?

What if it's just me & the hubs on our "date night"? Is asking for a table for two ok?

I think my family would be fine eating w strangers, I'm just curious. Thanks.

It's a very simple situation to take care of. When you step up to the hostess desk, give your cabin number and add "table for ____ ( number in your party, whether it's 2 or 4 or whatever) please". And, if you get a waiter that you happen to like, you can request to be seated in that waiter's section each subsequent evening.

As you can see, the response to your question will be varied but somewhat similar. Our experience has been varied also. Most times we have been asked which we prefer, our party alone or join another table? Occasionally we were not asked but in those instances we have always been seated with just our party. This has been with just the two of us as well as times with up to 8 in our group.

I can only recall a coupe of times where we were given one of those pager type things and had a short wait.

We really enjoy tablemates, as hubby and I eat almost EVERY meal together, almost EVERY day...it's nice to have new conversations with others! However, I hate booths....wouldn't take on for just us, let alone with others. They are uncomfortable, and sliding in and out....don't enjoy booths!

We've been asked if we are willing to share a table, but I think only because sometimes there may be a wait if you don't want to share with strangers. It seems like when we were a party of 6, we were never asked, they always just seated the 6 of us together. I do remember on Princess our party of 4 being seated at a large table with others - but we were asked first if that was ok. You just have to tell them what you want. And, if you like your waitstaff, be sure to ask to be seated in their area.

We sat as a party of two every night. We were never asked if we wanted to join anyone. Halfway through the cruise we became friends with another couple. They easily accommodating us to a table of 4.

I think my guys would be fine w sharing, if it meant sitting down right then or waiting a while. I'll tell them it's just part of the adventure.

I do agree about a booth situation w strangers. A bit too intimate. A big table would be fine. If it's just us 4 in a booth, that's one thing.

My teenager is already starting the eye rolling of "we gotta eat together EVERY night?!? You said I'd make friends."

Oh!! In that regard, say my boys DO meet a new buddy & that kid, w parental permission wants to eat w us, would that be ok? I get adults meeting & sharing a meal, but minors? Big kids, (10 & older) not someone's toddler. That was hard enough with my own spawn. (Yes, I know I'm waaaay overthinking stuff, lol)

In my experience, we are only asked if we want to sit with others if there is a long wait. If there is no wait or only 15 minutes or so, they just take our name and give us a buzzer. We sat with another couple once on the AK cruise but that was the only time with YTD. We have 2 people some times and other times we have 8 or 10 for dinner.

We never got asked. Sometime it was just the two of us and sometimes with others. I like both. When we took our kids we were sometimes with others and sometimes just us. Neither cruise were we asked. Only once did we have bad table mates. I noticed we tended to get seated by others from our side of the country. Not sure if it was by design or coincidence.

We enjoy meeting new folks and so we always give our cabin and number and say, "Two to share or join". For most cruises, this has worked well for us and we have met many great folks. On our last cruise, we were almost always immediately seated at a two top. Guess it depends on the ship.