So where can I get a premium burger on M-Class ships now?

TeeRick

Kobe and Dry aged are like apples and oranges....were there multiple venue offerings? Not sure one menu and another menu are false if they are diffent venues with each it's own menus.

The Top Deck Burger Bar claimed their meat was dry aged Kobe beef. It obviously was not Kobe (would cost about $300/burger if Kobe) - and the official Celebrity Cruises poster eventually admitted it was not Kobe beef, but an "American Kobe Style Beef Blend." This is just a marketing term and has no meaning regarding the actual quality or sourcing of the beef. Dry aging of beef is a very expensive process (though significantly enhances both the flavor and texture of beef); unlikely Celebrity was using dry aged beef due to the expense. If Celebrity was sourcing their "Kobe Style" beef from Buckhead Beef (a Florida company that the menu appeared to reference), Buckead Beef utilizes wet aging, NOT dry aging (a much less expensive process that has minimal impact on enhancing the flavor).

Gonzo... You might be overthinking this.

Tasty fresh burgers are available at many land side venues.

And well under the terrific dollars you suggest for a Kobe.

I can't fathom or react to your post as real information; it's outrageous.

You seem confused. I am simply stating facts; not sure why you feel the need to argue with factual information. I never denied that tasty burgers are available at many venues. My post that for some reason you responded to was disputing a false claim about the Top Deck Burger Bar serving fresh beef. Simply not true. Burgers do not have to be fresh and do not have to be dry aged to be delicious. Kobe burgers do not exist. For some reason Celebrity resorted to false advertising about their burgers and some people bought into their claims.

The Top Deck Burger Bar claimed their meat was dry aged Kobe beef. It obviously was not Kobe (would cost about $300/burger if Kobe) - and the official Celebrity Cruises poster eventually admitted it was not Kobe beef, but an "American Kobe Style Beef Blend." This is just a marketing term and has no meaning regarding the actual quality or sourcing of the beef. Dry aging of beef is a very expensive process (though significantly enhances both the flavor and texture of beef); unlikely Celebrity was using dry aged beef due to the expense. If Celebrity was sourcing their "Kobe Style" beef from Buckhead Beef (a Florida company that the menu appeared to reference), Buckead Beef utilizes wet aging, NOT dry aging (a much less expensive process that has minimal impact on enhancing the flavor).

Great post with good information. Grilling a burger made of Kobe beef and getting it anyway near to the recommended interior temperature would be like trying to grill a candle. Take a 4 pound hunk of beef chuck and add a pound of beef tallow, grind them together two or three times and shape them into your own Quasi-Kobe burgers. Probably would even taste better. LOL

I was born over my Grand father's butcher shop and to this day cut and grind almost all my meat from cryovac primal cuts from either BJ's or Costco. I had Kobe beef at a tasting and it was flash grilled, falling apart and pretty much tasteless compared to anything I cut from a Prime or Choice beef tenderloin.

bosco

I had a burger in MDR on Solstice last week...it was a glorious gray color and bun was slightly dry. Once I added deli mustard, it tasted like a large version of a White Castle burger, which I like. A lady at my table ordered same and are one bite. I did not eat at Mast Grill as my previous experiences were not that good (dry over cooked patty and lifeless fries). They had the "Crab Shack" offering there, which appeared to be a joke at $25 a plate.

Sushi on 5 was open on embarkation day and was very good. For most of meal, we were only ones there. A party of six came in as we finished up. There were no sliders on the menu. Rice paste ice cream was da bomb. We were turned away from SO5 on last sea day. They had tables, but were understaffed. I think they really denied because it was close to closing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What's the Crab Shack? ....price sounds like what they put into the porch area on other ships.,. We miss BO5, the porch.....sushi at the buffet......oh well....

Gonzo... You might be overthinking this.

Tasty fresh burgers are available at many land side venues.

And the award winning burger place next to my house has fresh beef delivered every morning...how are you going to manage that on a ship? parachute?

Great post with good information. Grilling a burger made of Kobe beef and getting it anyway near to the recommended interior temperature would be like trying to grill a candle. Take a 4 pound hunk of beef chuck and add a pound of beef tallow, grind them together two or three times and shape them into your own Quasi-Kobe burgers. Probably would even taste better. LOL

I was born over my Grand father's butcher shop and to this day cut and grind almost all my meat from cryovac primal cuts from either BJ's or Costco. I had Kobe beef at a tasting and it was flash grilled, falling apart and pretty much tasteless compared to anything I cut from a Prime or Choice beef tenderloin.

bosco

Thank you, thank you, thank you for referencing Costco beef. We now buy all our steaks and lamb there. Far superior to anything at our local grocery store.

In terms of Kobe, I had the opportunity to have a Kobe steak at a small corporate dinner party in DC a number of years ago. Excellent! Having had it prepared by one of the top caterers in DC, not sure I want to have it ground into a burger. What a waste.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for referencing Costco beef. We now buy all our steaks and lamb there. Far superior to anything at our local grocery store.

In terms of Kobe, I had the opportunity to have a Kobe steak at a small corporate dinner party in DC a number of years ago. Excellent! Having had it prepared by one of the top caterers in DC, not sure I want to have it ground into a burger. What a waste.

If it was a number of years ago, it definitely wasn't Kobe beef. Kobe beef was imported to US for the very first time in late 2012 (and only a tiny, tiny amount initially).

https://www.eater.com/2015/11/9/9685928/kobe-beef-real-wagyu

You seem confused. I am simply stating facts; not sure why you feel the need to argue with factual information. I never denied that tasty burgers are available at many venues. My post that for some reason you responded to was disputing a false claim about the Top Deck Burger Bar serving fresh beef. Simply not true. Burgers do not have to be fresh and do not have to be dry aged to be delicious. Kobe burgers do not exist. For some reason Celebrity resorted to false advertising about their burgers and some people bought into their claims.

I'm not confused. Kobe Burgers were available at Cheesecake Factory. They are labeled Angus now, but they used to be Kobe, and they did not cost $300.00

Edited by MizDemeanor

I'm not confused. Kobe Burgers were available at Cheesecake Factory. They are labeled Angus now, but they used to be Kobe, and they did not cost $300.00

I'm honestly trying to decide whether to laugh or cry that you thought you were getting Kobe beef at Cheesecake Factory.

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-kobe-beef-served-in-the-us-is-fake-2016-7

On he wholesale level Authentic with Certification Kobe Beef is about 2,000.00 for a ten pound Cryovac cut. The quantity is also limited. As to its certification ?? Maybe not grade #5 but still out of the range of any chain selling burgers.

bosco

I'm honestly trying to decide whether to laugh or cry that you thought you were getting Kobe beef at Cheesecake Factory.

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-kobe-beef-served-in-the-us-is-fake-2016-7

Like it would be any different on Celebrity....Ya'll have gone off on tangent about Kobe proper and otherwise so quit it... the OP described what he wanted and that was pretty clear.

(BTW...Wagyu which is a form of beef

is pretty darn good!)

Edited by MizDemeanor

Like it would be any different on Celebrity....Ya'll have gone off on tangent about Kobe proper and otherwise so quit it... the OP described what he wanted and that was pretty clear.

is pretty darn good!)

Yes I know. I had some wagyu on my charcuterie platter last night. $15 for 50 grams

is pretty darn good!)

Thank you MizDemeanor! Thread keeps getting hijacked and turned into a Kobe Beef rant. I don't care about Kobe Beef.