What do you think the Optimum Hours per day for Road Trip?

luvscruising2007

Trying to plan out our drive to Miami. It's about 1150 miles, give or take. Just wondering how many miles you would drive in one day before you stop for the night. I do all of the driving; DH gave up his license last year. So, I would like to save some money on hotel bills as we drive down and of course back.

I had planned to drive down in 3 days and home in 2. Now, I am re-thinking that and driving only 2 days both ways. I just don't want to be totally exhausted on the first day of the cruise.

I will look forward to your perspective.

Trying to plan out our drive to Miami. It's about 1150 miles, give or take. Just wondering how many miles you would drive in one day before you stop for the night. I do all of the driving; DH gave up his license last year. So, I would like to save some money on hotel bills as we drive down and of course back.

I had planned to drive down in 3 days and home in 2. Now, I am re-thinking that and driving only 2 days both ways. I just don't want to be totally exhausted on the first day of the cruise.

I will look forward to your perspective.

We're not long distant drivers and since we're also retired, we would do 3 days each way, but truth be known we would choose to fly after comparing costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With reasonable stops, (never pass an interstate rest area:D ), and getting out of the car walking around, or even taking a brief nap, you can get in 8-10 hours of driving. That'd get you 700+ miles. Depending on how well you like to drive at night, a winter cruise you might drop that down to 6-8 driving time.

There are reasonably decent places all along the interstates where you can get a room in a clean place at a relatively low price. Check Red Roof, Microtels, Econolodges. etc. And you shouldn't need a reservation.

Do some planning and pick some alternate exits where you'd like to stop. One shorter than max (say 6-8 hours), one max (10-12 hours), and one inbetween,in terms of distance driving/time.

From the MD eastern shore a good day's drive will get you to about Savanah GA, or maybe even Jacksonville FL. From either it will be a shorter drive (but more traffic :( ) the next day to Miami -- I would stop on 95 about West Palm, find a cheaper hotel for the night, and drive to POM the next day where parking is covered, convenient and secure.

If it were me, I'd do it in two days assuming weather cooperates. You know your limits as a driver, but since most of that will be pretty easy, high speed interstate driving I'd go that route. As mentioned, if unsure of where you want to stop for the night just drive and then search for a hotel when you figure out your stopping point. Several good inexpensive brands listed, you also may have some luck with Priceline as well.

We always drive to our FL cruises from near Philadelphia PA. We drive at least 10 hours the first day - sometimes a bit more depending on what the traffic/construction was like - and finish the trip so we are in the destination city the night before the cruise. We have done the trip enough to know which exits we favor but if you stop at the visitor center as you enter each state, there are coupon books that might help you decide on where to stop. We always stop every 2 hours to take a stretch or use facilities and usually switch drivers - although DH prefers to drive and would do the whole trip if I let him ;p

It depends on your stamina & time of year

DH no longer drives at night so we are usually off the road by 6pm

We used to drive it in 2 days now closer to 3 as we get older

Winter driving can bring some surprises to we allow for that also & arrive at least 1-2 days before the cruise

If you have the time just go at a pace that suits you & allow for time to unwind before the cruise

Stop at the rest centres & walk a bit

JMO

Just a plug for stopping at rest stops. We get out and walk a bit .... weather permitting. Use the restrooms as needed and then continue our trip refreshed. Also have bottles of water in the car for the drive ..... need to avoid dehydration.

I would drive to Charleston the first night, St. Augustine the second night, then South Florida the third night.

If you are retired and have the time, why rush it?

Make the journey part of the trip and stop and smell the roses!

Like JohninDC says we stay around 100 miles from the port the night before to get much more reasonable hotels. The hotels in FLL and MIA are very expensive during prime cruising season. We like to stay in the Fort St Pierce area, we can generally get Holiday Inn Express or Hampton Inn quality hotel in the $100 range. Somewhere between there and West Palm Beach would be good. Then it's an easy 1.5 - 2 hr drive in the morning to the port. POM definitely park at the port.

Thanks, everyone. Some really good suggestions. And, oddly, I am still with a dilemma. Originally I had planned to take 3 days down. Then I looked at the cost and thought we could save money. And I am really leaning that way. Going home there is no rush and no time constraint. I can be more flexible.

We don't fly anymore unless we can help it. DH hates going through security as his artificial hip sets the alarm off and he feels embarassed. He also has long legs, mostly in the thigh and is so uncomfortable sitting in the air line seats, especially when someone leans their chair back.

I am not sure what I will do but I think I will be on the safe side and drive 3 days down. I don't like driving at night although on an interstate it is not too bad. It is in town driving with lights coming at me that are the problem.

Well, back to some more planning.

Thanks again. I do appreciate your input.

Our last two cruises were out of Tampa and Fort Lauderdale. We live in North Alabama so our drive wasn't quite as long as yours. We decided we would drive until we were 2 to 4 hours from the port and then spend the night some where in the Lake City/Ocala area. In either case we could have a leisurely breakfast and an easy drive to the port on the day of departure.

I know everyone recommends spending the night in the port but we did not find that necessary. Your last night is spent in Florida. Not likely you'll face snow or airport delays or cancellations. Stay away from the ports and you can save nicely on hotels. After all, very few of those who live in Florida drive to the port the day before the cruise.

Find a place in North or Central Florida about 2 to 4 hours drive from the port. For planning purposes, consider this to be your destination. Now, layout your trip to spend the night there on the night before your cruise.

As mlmc424 suggested, there are hotel coupon books at the Welcome centers in each state. My DH and I drive from the NJ area to Naples, FL every Winter and always use the coupon books. Since you're not sure how long you will drive each day, may I suggest you stop at the Welcome Center in each state and pick up the books. I say books, since there are at least 3 different ones in each state...most list the same hotels, some will list others also. You just never know when you may tire from driving...this way you at least have the books! You must present the coupon to get the reduced rates. Good luck with your driving, and have a wonderful cruise!😊

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

Although you said you could do the trip in 2 days, I would recommend you do it in 3. For the same reason we fly into the port the day before, the same should apply when driving that far. What would happen if you had a flat tire, had to have it replaced, and lost about 4-5 hours? Would you still arrive in time to make the sailing? Plan for 2 days of driving and 1 day of free time either in Miami or with 1-2 hours from there.

Although you said you could do the trip in 2 days, I would recommend you do it in 3. For the same reason we fly into the port the day before, the same should apply when driving that far. What would happen if you had a flat tire, had to have it replaced, and lost about 4-5 hours? Would you still arrive in time to make the sailing? Plan for 2 days of driving and 1 day of free time either in Miami or with 1-2 hours from there.

This is exactly why I had planned on the 3 day drive. The plus side is that I will be more relaxed and not nearly as exhausted. I think I will look at the 3 day scenario again and plan accordingly.

Thanks all.

I agree...go for the 3 day plan. I love driving, but visiting my sister is 7 hours. That is my limit. Even with stops, I don't have the stamina or patience anymore to do longer hauls. I find my mind says, "I'm finished", at 6 hours. So that last hour feels like forever.

Don't push yourself and try to meet some unreasonable schedule. Could cause danger for you.

DD explained to me that Truckers are limited in the hours they can drive without significant breaks. It boils down to 600 miles per day. So, we will be travelling around 600 miles per day and that has convinced me to break it down to 400 per day. That is definitely a 3 day trip. So, with all of your advice and info from DD, we will be making a 3 day trip. Now, just divide up the travel days equally. Thanks, everyone.