Are The Bahamas Safe

mamaofami

In a recent article I read, St. Kitts, American Virgin Islands and Bahamas were listed as unsafe places to visit. On St. Kitts, a bus load of tourists were robbed.

Are these islands really any more dangerous than they were a few years ago?

Are you talking about the Celebrity tour bus that was robbed? That was in 2010....

I'm not under a holiday illusion that these islands are free of crime, but like most places if you are careful (avoid deserted areas, don't walk alone at night), you can avoid problems.

Are you talking about the Celebrity tour bus that was robbed? That was in 2010....

I'm not under a holiday illusion that these islands are free of crime, but like most places if you are careful (avoid deserted areas, don't walk alone at night), you can avoid problems.

Friends of mine were mugged in St.Thomas in 1992 .Other than that I do not know anyone who was a victim of a crime in the caribbean.

Criminals on small islands have a short shelf life, but intoxication with Caribbean life can interfere with your vigilance for those still there. I don't live a paranoid life, but I pay attention to my surroundings at home, let alone in unfamiliar territory. There has always been crime in the islands (like everywhere else), we just hear about every occurrence immediately and repeatedly.

Is it safe in Chicago?, Boston, NYC? London? There is serious crime and petty crime everywhere. the usual common sense, awareness and caution practice applies. don 't attract atention, don't wear expensive, watch, jewelry, watch your handbag and only carry what you need for the day I hope this does not sound flip or sarcastic as I don't mean it that way. no place I've ever been can assure to be crime free but we know what you mean. Is i t high crime ? Yes, there is a certain amount ofttourist crime.

Historically, in the Caribbean Islands one of the biggest problems for Tourists is thefts on beaches, particularly the more beautiful somewhat isolated ones. Tourists there to sun, swim, snorkel, etc. It is so beautiful, so peaceful, only a few other folks on the beach, so seemingly safe that they relax their fears and just go for a swim.

Well, folks with other thoughts on their mind are sometimes hiding in and watching from the trees and bushes, etc. not too far from the water and they "pounce" while folks swim. PLEASE do not let the idyllic setting lull you into a false sense of security. DO NOT leave anything you want to keep on shore while you swim unless you leave a person to guard your stuff.

Of course, this is good advice for any travel!