Holiday staff gift

aquawater2

From the UK subject to the same terms and conditions. We would never financially penalise the wonderful staff on board because of a corporate policy.

Readers, please be aware most frequent U.K. Cruisers support paying the gratuities, we simply see them as part of our cruise costs. We also have no issues giving generous additional tips for excellent service.

There are bad inhumane uncaring people in all countries. We recognize that they are not typical of the vast majority of UK cruisers. You do not have to apologize for the few uncaring people that you have.

DON

Some holiday candy is always nice.

Keith

Unless the crew member suffers from diabetes in which case they can't eat your gift. An before you suggest a holiday cake, how do you know if they suffer from Celiacs disease. In general, giving any type of foodstuff is a bad idea.

DON

It has been suggested that a cruise vacation is not right for everyone. I agree with the suggestion that if you aren't willing to tip, you shouldn't cruise on a line which uses this setup. I will also suggest that if you think it is right to punish the staff when a price drops, then cruising probably isn't for you either.

No one is being 'punished' The gratuity is not compulsory and can be removed . We can then choose to tip if appropriate

That's how to get back at the cruise line or maybe not, because they will only think you had bad service, because they will never figure out that you were penalized the crew for a corporate decision that the crew has no say in. Please make sure you tell your Cabin Steward and Waiter and Asst. Waiter why you are removing it, so if they are asked about the service, they can explain why you removed the gratuity.

It's something I would put on my cruise feedback form

If you give a worker cash as a "Christmas gift" do they have to share it? What makes it different than a extra tip? If a gift doesn't have to be shared than all additonal tips should be given as a "gift.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

If you give a worker cash as a "Christmas gift" do they have to share it? What makes it different than a extra tip? If a gift doesn't have to be shared than all additonal tips should be given as a "gift.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Although I am not certain, I would imagine that a cash Christmas gift is the same as an extra tip at the end of the cruise. If you have left the daily tip on as most of us do, the gift recipient would get to keep it. If you have removed the daily tip because you do not feel like doing the daily tip, they probably have to turn it in. This means that the "gift" recipient is doubly punished - they do not get the daily tip and they have to share their Christmas "gift"/

DON

Not sure if you're aware but in the uk we do not have the 'price promise' that is available to USA and Canadian cruisers . My February cruise has just been reduced in price by over £400 and I will therefore be removing the gratuity to compensate for the reduction . Some on here will complain at what I'm doing but surely we should all be tested the same !

Apologies for going off topic again but how can you justify penalising crew because you do not like the T&Cs you chose to book under?

Not sure if you're aware but in the uk we do not have the 'price promise' that is available to USA and Canadian cruisers . My February cruise has just been reduced in price by over £400 and I will therefore be removing the gratuity to compensate for the reduction . Some on here will complain at what I'm doing but surely we should all be tested the same !

Looks like that will be your first Celebrity cruise so at least you haven't been able to stiff their crew before. How do you compensate yourself for price reductions after final payment on the Azamara cruises you've taken where tipping is included?

Another from the UK hanging their head in shame at this practice by a fellow countryman who is quite proud and upfront about it.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

No one is being 'punished' The gratuity is not compulsory and can be removed . We can then choose to tip if appropriate

If the price of the cruise drops another 200, you should consider asking your cabin steward for a share of his tips. After all, he or she should be made the one to compensate you for those price drops. While you're at it, don't flush your toilet the last couple of days. There are some great ways to get back at these overpaid cruise line workers.

I bring Lindt individually wrapped chocolates on every cruise. I've had more than a few crew come up to me & ask what night I'm carrying around the chocolate (in a Crown Royal bag). This is always in addition to a cash tip.

For the person that wants to remove the auto gratuity because their cruise price went down & they won't get it refunded, I have one word for you...cheapskate!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I bring Lindt individually wrapped chocolates on every cruise. I've had more than a few crew come up to me & ask what night I'm carrying around the chocolate (in a Crown Royal bag). This is always in addition to a cash tip.

For the person that wants to remove the auto gratuity because their cruise price went down & they won't get it refunded, I have one word for you...cheapskate!

What goes around comes around. My grandmother told me that when you cheat someone or steal you will lose at least 10 times more.

A good friend and as he calls him his cheap a$$ BIL went on a cruise. At the end of the cruise his BIL said F' em, I will never see them again so why should I tip.

They got off the ship and he couldn't find his luggage. He ended up missing his flight and never did get his luggage back. Was it done on purpose or just coincidence? I would hope the latter, as I wouldn't want the workers to be at the level of some passengers.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Sickening. So you turn the hard working staff into your unpaid slaves? The daily gratuities are a service charge - that is how they ARE paid. Hopefully your comments were just a poor joke and you are not truly mistreating the staff like that.

The gratuities are optional according to Celebrity - I checked again today [emoji848]

Pathetic, sickening, despicable behavior. Yes, if one receives horrible service one can have gratuities removed - hopefully only after first speaking with a supervisor to try and resolve the issues before it comes to that. Otherwise you have made the hard working staff your unpaid slaves. Maybe where you live gratuities are not expected, but on Celebrity ships the gratuities is the crew's pay. You can't always act like you do at home when traveling - at least not without harming others and acting like a buffoon. What you are doing is atrocious.

A tad offensive but hey ho . I do not know the staff's terms and conditions and doubt the poster knows for certain either . I have an upcoming cruise from rome in europe on a maltese ship . I absolutely know my contract with Celebrity UK is covered by European and U.K. consumer law as well as the International maritime laws. No USA involvement at all except ' for passengers convenience ' using the USA $ as the onboard currency

Is there a saying 'when in Rome ' ??

How do you know that those barking orders and clicking fingers are from the tipping brigade? Just as you don't tip, I'm sure that you are not the only one, so not sure how you distinguished the tippers from the non tippers.

Good question . On more than one occasion I have gently probed as to why the passenger was uptight . The response is always "i have given that guy a big tip and expect better" other staff members have recounted similar episodes

sorry i shouldn't have implied that all order barkers and finger clickers are fully paid up members of the tipping brigade - just my experience albeit somewhat limited I accept. Apologies to Tipping Brigade members who neither bark nor click

Edited by Ladesign

If that's true then why are the other two UK'ers on this thread removing the gratuities? They're US cruise lines. And I'd love to hear from those two to find out if they tip at restaurants in the US as you say. Why tip there but not similarly on a US ship?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

US cruise lines ? moot point

The ships are maltese and built in Germany. The holding company shares are on s US stock exchange but they regard themselves as a global company - widely referenced.

As said on another post I am about to go on a Celebrity cruise from Rome around the Mediterranean sea. My contract is absolutely with a UK registered Company ( Celebrity Uk) and coveted by only European & UK consumer legislation , International Maritime laws and laws of any country outside the EU ( visited)

I would be obliged if the poster can explain where the USA fits in, other than he cruise line choosing to use US $ as a common currency. I can assure anyone that NO USA legislation covers any of my forthcoming trip - sorry if facts confuse the debate .

The gratuities are optional according to Celebrity - I checked again today [emoji848]

Chris,

Just because something is not mandatory does not mean there is not a right and wrong choice. In choosing to remove the service charge you are depriving the hard working crew of their pay - the gratuities comprise all but a minuscule amount of their pay. It is offensive, greedy, immature, rude behavior to force them to be your unpaid slaves for the week. Do you honestly believe it is just to have your room steward clean your toilet daily for no pay?!? At least be decent enough to tell your steward and wait staff on day one that you will be removing their gratuities. Go cruise on a different line if you do not like Celebrity's policies - don't take it out on the hard working crew and punish them.

Edited by Gonzo70

Chris,

Just because something is not mandatory does not mean there is not a right and wrong choice. In choosing to remove the service charge you are depriving the hard working crew of their pay - the gratuities comprise all but a minuscule amount of their pay. It is offensive, greedy, immature, rude behavior to force them to be your unpaid slaves for the week. Do you honestly believe it is just to have your room steward clean your toilet daily for no pay?!? At least be decent enough to tell your steward and wait staff on day one that you will be removing their gratuities. Go cruise on a different line if you do not like Celebrity's policies - don't take it out on the hard working crew and punish them.

Excellent response.

I think some posters make things up to stir the pot, probably have never stepped foot on a cruise ship before. We should ignore the immoral posters knowing that most passengers are decent people who do the right thing. And if some really do not tip knowing they are taking pay away from those Less fortunate, then that is on them. Some people are just bad people, but the rest of us can do the right thing to make it up to the hard working folks who serve us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just because something is not mandatory does not mean there is not a right and wrong choice .....

So who decides the right and wrong ?

My choice seems to be

Celebrity say it is entirely up to the individual . They add the 'auto grats ' "for your convenience".

or

Many posters on here who see it as some sort of moral crime to exercise one's rights.

I am inclined to favour the company who I have a legally binding contract with. Rights and wrongs are decided by courts , not by internet forums IMHO. Perhaps it is my background and training that makes me think this way.

Chris,

. ....

Go cruise on a different line if you do not like Celebrity's policies.,,,,,,,,,.

???

I very much do like Celebrity's policies.

I will cruise with whichever Company I choose but I appreciate the posters rather vague recommendation.

US cruise lines ? moot point

The ships are maltese and built in Germany. The holding company shares are on s US stock exchange but they regard themselves as a global company - widely referenced.

As said on another post I am about to go on a Celebrity cruise from Rome around the Mediterranean sea. My contract is absolutely with a UK registered Company ( Celebrity Uk) and coveted by only European & UK consumer legislation , International Maritime laws and laws of any country outside the EU ( visited)

But the locations where the ships were built or registered are irrelevant here. Those locations are selected for the favorable financial advantages they provide the company.

What matters is that the company headquarters are located in the United States and the company is under US management.

They are the ones who set company policy, in accordance with a multitude of different laws for different localities.

As we have seen time and again, they may or may not make adjustments to their policies, as they see fit, when their ships travel to different parts of the world.

A lot depends on whether they find changing a policy at a particular location to be beneficial, as well as on legal restrictions imposed at that location.

Celebrity still uses the term "gratuities" but in reality they are actually service charges.

Somebody here explained the reason why they do this. Apparently it is because they derive some financial benefit by calling them gratuities instead of service charges and allowing passengers to remove them.

I wonder if the people who object so strongly to paying service charges when they are called gratuities also object to paying them when they are called service charges.

We were once on a tour in Portugal with a girl from Texas who kept pulling the old "this is not the way we do it back home" routine. The other Americans on that tour were so embarrassed by her behavior.

Finally she shut up and stopped complaining after another Texan told her that she should have stayed at home if she wanted things to be done the way they are done back home.

Edited by fleckle