Ft Lauderdale to Orlando

Lucy Jane

Yes, just google flights from FLL to MCO for a listing of flights, times and fares. The flight is quick (about 1 hour) but checking luggage, getting through security, and waiting at the gate for boarding at Fort Lauderdale isn't. Add the time spent collecting luggage in Orlando and getting transportation to your hotel and driving (about 3 - 3 1/2 hours) is faster.

I'm surprised that the rental car rate is high. It hasn't been bad when we've rented a car. I don't know if you're a Costco member or not but they tend to have good rates for rental cars. You may want to try Costco's travel site and see what prices they have. We usually use Alamo because the rates seem to be pretty good and they don't charge as much for the toll pass as some other rental companies do. JMHO

Southwest flies between the two. It's a very short flight, I've done it before and it's not a bad option.

Another option is Red Coach which offers business and first class buses between the two for a pretty reasonable price. I believe they will also drop you off at a hotel if you are staying at one.

Lots of options. In the end if you drive the speed limit and go non-stop driving and flying take around the same amount of time. Southwest, Silver Airways and Spirit all fly FLL-MCO AA does it from MIA. It is a very quick flight less than 45mins.

There is also driving option or bus. No good train yet.

The 12:30 pm departure on Amtrak one-way from Fort Lauderdale to Kissimmee is $41.00 pp and to Orlando is $42.00 pp. However, the transit time is over 6 hours.

Driving vs flying works out to be approximately the same travel time (3+ hours), if you factor in the time you have to be at the airport and wait for your 40-minute flight.

The 12:30 pm departure on Amtrak one-way from Fort Lauderdale to Kissimmee is $41.00 pp and to Orlando is $42.00 pp. However, the transit time is over 6 hours.

Driving vs flying works out to be approximately the same travel time (3+ hours), if you factor in the time you have to be at the airport and wait for your 40-minute flight.

I got stuck in Orlando once and needed to fly home (no car). The plane was packed. I couldn't understand why so many people flew such a short distance to the point where Southwest fills up a 737 vs a regional carrier like Silver with the smaller turbo props. Anyways, I found myself talking with the lady next to me and she HATES the drive so much. It's worth it flying. It's not about the time, it's about the comfort. She would rather relax at the airport for an hour and fly for 40 minutes than deal with the drive.

The more I think about it, this makes sense. The drive sucks. It's 2 lanes and you always get tourists and bad drivers cruising in the left lane and blocking traffic. So I could see flying being a preference as it's much more relaxed. I say this as I'm about to embark on a road trip tomorrow, ugh, it's vacation.... keep telling myself that.

I got stuck in Orlando once and needed to fly home (no car). The plane was packed. I couldn't understand why so many people flew such a short distance to the point where Southwest fills up a 737 vs a regional carrier like Silver with the smaller turbo props. Anyways, I found myself talking with the lady next to me and she HATES the drive so much. It's worth it flying. It's not about the time, it's about the comfort. She would rather relax at the airport for an hour and fly for 40 minutes than deal with the drive.

The more I think about it, this makes sense. The drive sucks. It's 2 lanes and you always get tourists and bad drivers cruising in the left lane and blocking traffic. So I could see flying being a preference as it's much more relaxed. I say this as I'm about to embark on a road trip tomorrow, ugh, it's vacation.... keep telling myself that.

I just did the flight on last week for business. At the end of the day I certainly spend the same amount of time traveling. As in in the airport, parking a car etc.. But its a lot easier to sit in an airport lounge or have a meal and be on a very quick 40min flight than driving that whole time. Its such an easy flight. Southwest does the route and Spirit does the route with the A321 along with Silver. American Airlines has 5 flights a day between Orlando and Miami all on mainline airliners, one of them is on a 767-300. Of course Miami-Orlando has a lot of connecting passengers. There is a lot of business and people traveling between Orlando and Miami and many people on my flight last week were going to Orlando just for the day for business or to see a kid at UCF etc..

Yea, 6-hours is crazy long. With normal traffic it should take no longer than 4hours to get to Downtown Orlando.