Oceania Riviera cruise August 5, 2017- belongings taken away from Lou he chairs by po

nannyja

Flipping a chair with her on it constitutes a physical attack and he should've been confined to his cabin and tossed at the next port. That poor woman could've been seriously injured, broken bones or hit her head.

I agree

I did not notice him again so maybe he was put off

They did take the lady to see the Doctor as a precaution

Belongings moved from lounge chairs while having lunch. Absolutely horrible and inappropriate. Low class ship and people. Be careful! Overcrowded ship and very disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Excellent policy. You don't own the chair/ spot. If you left your belongings on chairs in any other scenarios you would be considered a security risk. Hope it helps flush out any people that wish to do this!

I had a different experience with a chair 'hog' on Marina in the South Pacific.

DH and I went ashore but, as it was too hot for me, we returned to an almost empty ship. I went to the pool and was surprised that no-one else was there (except for the pool attendant), so I chose a lounger. After about 15 minutes in the pool I went back to my seat to find another passenger on it!! I asked where my belongings were to be told that as I had been away from the lounger for over 30 minutes the attendant had taken them.

The attendant was very apologetic as the man insisted that Iwas using 'his' seat and insisted my stuff was removed because he always sat there. The poor attendant was really worried and I felt very sorry that he had been put into such an awkward situation.

As there was still no-one else on the deck I had a plentiful choice of loungers so I chose the one next to the obnoxious man ...........:p

DH and I went ashore but, as it was too hot for me, we returned to an almost empty ship. I went to the pool and was surprised that no-one else was there (except for the pool attendant), so I chose a lounger. After about 15 minutes in the pool I went back to my seat to find another passenger on it!! I asked where my belongings were to be told that as I had been away from the lounger for over 30 minutes the attendant had taken them.

The attendant was very apologetic as the man insisted that Iwas using 'his' seat and insisted my stuff was removed because he always sat there. The poor attendant was really worried and I felt very sorry that he had been put into such an awkward situation.

As there was still no-one else on the deck I had a plentiful choice of loungers so I chose the one next to the obnoxious man ...........:p

I wonder how he knew it was the same lounger ...they all look the same to me :halo:

Takes all kinds

I would not have been so kind LOL

Earlier this week I was at a resort where they had a wave pool. There were loungers and short chairs (to use to sit in the shallow end of the pool) around the pool. We wanted to use the short chairs but all were taken except 2 - they were next to 2 empty loungers and just used to hold beach bags. We decided to go to lunch, but after returning in 40 minutes the chair situation was still the same. The loungers were still empty so I put the beach bags on the loungers and took the short chairs. After about 5 min. the people returned to the lounger and we could see that they were upset that "their" beach bag chairs were gone.

But we paid to be able to enjoy the pool just like they did and I didn't feel bad at all for taking the chairs we needed when others just plop their stuff on them, then leave and go do something else.

Shame on you, OP! If the shoe had been on the other foot, you'd have agreed with all of us.

just curious why you would choose to sit NEXT to that man!!!

I have to agree. I think I'd want to be as far away from his as possible, after making an overly loud rude remark of my own ...

Agreed. Outrageous entitlement from the obnoxious man considering the entire pool area was available choosing the one lounger that was not. It takes all kinds.

Did he have his name plaque on that lounger? :D

just curious why you would choose to sit NEXT to that man!!!

I was really angry with him (for putting the pool attendant into an awkward situation) so decided to get 'revenge' by talking him to death with inane chatter - I am pleased to say he lasted about 10 minutes before he left :D.

I was really angry with him (for putting the pool attendant into an awkward situation) so decided to get 'revenge' by talking him to death with inane chatter - I am pleased to say he lasted about 10 minutes before he left :D.

Well done :D I bet he gave you a wide berth afterwards - which is probably exactly what you wanted.

:')

Revenge is sweet :halo:

in my opinion it's time they started doing this. I have seen chairs with belongings on them all day and no one used them. Meanwhile there are people who cannot find a chair.

I don't use the pool area often, but i have observed this behaviour repeatedly. And you are correct, it is low class behaviour.

Mo

sent from my iphone using forums

1+👍

We seldom use the pool area because it is just too hard to find a chair for the occasional hour or so when we would enjoy one.

But be honest, Vaitape, for how many hours in a day do your belongings occupy that chair and how many hours a day do you actually sit on it? On top of that 60 minutes for lunch, I bet you spent another 60 minutes at trivia ( with another hour to chat with friends and to get to the lounge and back) and another maybe at a port lecture. Then of course there's that trip to the front desk and the excursion desk. oh and maybe a brief trip or two back to the cabin. Several people could have enjoyed the chair during your "brief" trips away.

As I said earlier, people come and go from the pool area all day long. If everyone were considerate there would be chairs for everyone.

Yes, you are a chair hog, and apparently proud of it. Shame on you. We all paid for our cruise and deserve to enjoy it.

Belongings moved from lounge chairs while having lunch. Absolutely horrible and inappropriate. Low class ship and people. Be careful! Overcrowded ship and very disappointed.

Oceania ships (at least the R class) have signs posted around the pool deck that state you can not leave your belongings for an extended period of time. And this is the first time I have heard of an O ship being overcrowded. They have a very generous space ratio. Perhaps you need to reset your expectations?

Also I would state that leaving your belongings on your chair to keep it is a behavior that is not appropriate on a near-luxury cruise line. This behavior is called chair-hogging and is detested among frequent cruisers. You will find that there are very few new cruisers on Oceania. My wife and I have 20 cruises under our belt, and we are on the low end of the spectrum when it comes to experience on an O cruise. You will frequently come across cruisers who have been on 60-70 sailings. So expect service to be in line with what experienced cruisers expect. And one of those services (or lack therof depending on point of view) is removing items left on chairs.

I guess me and Thelma have been lucky. On our 7 Oceania cruises never had problem getting a pool lounge chair if you got there prior to 10:30-11 am. On the other hand on Celebrity cruises there are designated lounge chair reservers who place articles on chairs starting as early as 5:30 am and by 7 am 75% of the chairs are gone. Is this the new entitlement state?

To paraphrase a famous line from Men in Black movie.

"I will give you my lounge chair if you can take it from my cold dead hands " :cool:

I think Vaitape was being facetious ;)

In that case, my apologies to Vaitape. In the place of that name, please insert the name of the OP or any of the other hogs.

Yes, there may still be chairs available by 10:30 AM. The problem is, I never want to take a dip in the pool until later in the day. Do the hogs feel that I am entitled to grab a chair before breakfast, place a book and sunglasses on it, then return for an hour in the late afternoon? No, of course they don't - only they are allowed to do this. If I did it, it would be inconsiderate.

If I were in elegant attire and the person next to me in the MDR showed up in a bathing suit and flip flops, it would only amuse me. I can overlook a lot of things that do not prevent me from doing what I am entitled to do. But chair hogs absolutely drive me wild because all I want is the occasion hour by the pool, not even every day, and I can't enjoy this time because of these people. In the hour "or so" that they go to lunch, I could be come and gone.

Burm

I agree

we sit by the pool usually in the shade for a short time but not daily

We witnessed the chair hogs last year on our cruise

A group of about 3 couples threw their books on the loungers went off to where ever after 1 hr no one returned to them

we left went for coffee (deck5) came back the books were still there but no people

They had now hogged the chairs for at least 2 hrs

we did not check again but I do wonder if they ever returned

Unfortunately, the vast majority of even Oceania cruisers do not read these Cruise Critic Forums. Should it be mandatory reading, so cruisers knew the general feelings on these issues.? If so, the question of the day would then become: would we have as many chair hogs and people signing up for ship tours which are beyond the physical capabilities ; or would those inclined all just thumb their noses and continue to do as they please???

My guess the latter!

Unfortunately, the vast majority of even Oceania cruisers do not read these Cruise Critic Forums.

No need to be on CC it is posted in the daily CURRENTS onboard or signs are around the deck area

But then again who reads the signs or the fine print :rolleyes:

Can you state which ship you were on as your title suggests you were on PO Oceana. ,a similar name but a completely different type of ship. Oceania cruises ships are top class and superior to PO ships

The title clearly says Oceania Riviera, but really it is immaterial, the OP is a chair hog, pure and simple.