Live (I'll try my Best) from the Eclipse Baltic Sailing

absolutboy20

Day 9 - St.Petersburg (2nd Day) cont'd

We made a turn into a canal. Peter the Great's plan was for St.Petersburg to be the Venice of Russia. Although many of the canals have now been filled in to create roads, some of the old canals still remain. We passed by a set of three palaces that were identical but each in a different color. A wealthy merchant had built the palaces next to each other for his three daughters.

d29c2a99dd4e6d4660ac6f846624d66a.jpg

We also saw one of Peter the Great’s residence. Although he had elaborate palaces, he didn't reside in any of them. They were used for entertaining guests. His actual residence were very small compared to the mansions.

424899dfccf2ac99848217cca89f4ab4.jpg

After sailing in the canal, we made a U-turn heading back out to the Neva river. Hydrofoils were arriving in from neighboring cities.

ff325e50c44bb039b94a957a0a9b3f4c.jpg

Day 9 - St.Petersburg (Day 2) cont'd

Although St. Petersburg is a major shipping port, there are never any cargo containers on the river during the day. This is due to several bridges along the river that need to be retracted. The bridges are only raised from 1AM-5AM to allow shipping tracking. During this time pedestrian/car traffic is halted.

About an hour later on the river cruise, we docked and proceeded back to our vans.

A short subway ride was the next adventure. Our guide reminded us to leave any valuables in the van as there are pickpockets. We arrived at the station and walked down to the turnstiles where we were given a token. Paying the fare, we walked through the turnstiles and had to take an escalator down to the platform. I've never been on an escalator this long.

9ca39c185f2a07b553937e02e1a8ed81.jpg

Once we arrived at the platform, the ceiling was covered in marble with Soviet era artwork.

e28b448d0120fbdf4bdcb93666c769dd.jpg

04e01b4d5f31f470eb1ecaf4fdfc033d.jpg

a6e9ba560d92fe2684de41295057c735.jpg

After taking some pictures, we boarded the subway and rode it for two stations. Each station is decorated in a different theme. This one had columns with crystal.

44507cc28a379a3349dafc11f0969167.jpg

794d06e28cfcb115c1027f8dc0e831d2.jpg

Day 9 - St.Petersburg (Day 2) cont'd

Back on board the bus, next is stop Peterhof’s Palace. It was about a 45 minute ride. When we arrived, it started drizzling. I had seen pictures of the gardens, but what surprised me the most was the scale of the property. The gardens go on for miles. All of the fountains are gravity fed and operate without electricity or pumps.

bdd1da6cd6da6978c8566220a397fde8.jpg

3ceb5c2b7b78807eccf8ef9e817c39e9.jpg

73599d295ddc5107485896b366774e00.jpg

cdb4a305a85f9989a69de38ed4f929c5.jpgfba2eb018dceeaed9ee17577e9c11321.jpg

After Peterhof’s Palace we stopped for lunch. This meal had a better review from the group. The appetizer was borche, main entree being a chicken patty with vegetables, and the dessert being ice cream. There was also a shot of vodka on the side.

After lunch, the final destination was Catherine’s summer palace. While driving to the location, our guide indicated the palace was occupied by the Germans in WWII. Before the Germans took control, they managed to remove the artwork and furniture out from the palace on six train cars. The only room they could not save was the amber in the amber room.

When the Germans began losing ground at the end of the war, they tried to destroy to the palace.

bf806c2d7a0935509b3438a75fa781cf.jpg

5ae0d426b792d01bf4f3bd3aa187755b.jpg

They have been restoring the palace ever since and the amber room was re-created. We entered through a back door that is used for group tours. Once inside, we had to coat check all our bags, umbrellas, and jackets. We also had to wear booties on our shoes to enter the palace.

A couple of pictures from the tour. The furniture is all original.

d5abf0195404173766ae3762f9aee815.jpg

1e7d2a0d75cfb21192dbcf2b88e00994.jpg

4501f963b49b0796431649f49b09c591.jpg

f43cf89d9bda975dceac8decf893771d.jpg

Day 9 - St.Petersburg (2nd day) Final

Wall heaters using firewood and covered in danish tiles.

a1fe0c899e60dbf2cb0a3d208f774292.jpg

We exited the palace and headed back towards the bus where he walked by the line for entry. I couldn't see where it ended, and the guide stated some would not be able to see the palace as they will be closing in a few hours. Group tours bypass the normal line.

c126dde4cd14339b6e8deb36c4cf477f.jpg

This was a canal system Peter the Great had made for fish, but the water was too stagnant and they didn't survive.

e1a27ca692fde9a62f7004202dc32ec9.jpg

We boarded our bus, filled out a survey, and headed back to the cruise terminal. The rain had really started to fall at a steady pace on the drive back.

2cd4a6f0731b2523e14a455433665a25.jpg

After being dropped off, we said goodbye to Elena and Vladimir. We only hit one gift shop during the tour, and I should of bought some items yesterday, but didn't thinking we would stop at another one today. So I had to do some shopping at the cruise terminal. We bought a faberge egg that has a stamp verifying it was made in Russia.

We did one final passport control and were back on the ship.

One picture I forgot to include on the drive out to Peterhof's palace was this building.

1638472290c6c3a0c985252f0b7d7700.jpg

This was a hotel built during the Soviet era just for their people. The hotel featured non-western toilets and communal sleeping quarters. Our guide stated it was a great way to meet new people. Foreigners had a separate hotel as well as their own airport.

We had dinner in the dining room and the OH had the chocolate sphere as a dessert.

The ship backed away from the pier to start our journey back to Southampton.

2ee30035196f9d3441626fa72b9be523.jpg

Day 10 -Sea Day (3rd Sea Day)

Well after four port days it was really nice to have a sea day. Looking at the ocean and sky from the balcony the weather looked ominous.

64b120b57e30190cffd57bdd0f45f367.jpg

This report is going to be short as I didn't do much besides lay by the pool.

OH joined me in the dining room for breakfast, first time after 10 days on the boat! I had two Scottish salmon benedicts, applewood bacon, smoothie, and a plain yogurt.

After breakfast, OH went to the Solarium. The weather was cool and cloudy, so I don't want to lay out by the outdoor pool. Once I got up to join OH in the Solarium, he immediately headed to the shopping area as they had a 10% off special for Baltic souvenirs for the first two hours. This was the last sailing for the Eclipse to the Baltic for the season. She’ll do a fjord run then head down to the Mediterranean before making the Atlantic crossing.

I was lounging poolside and trying to upload the St.Petersburg log onto Cruisecritic. As it was a sea day with no land in sight, the internet network was heavily congested and my picture uploads kept failing.

OH came back and said he bought some souvenirs but it's a mad house down there. Looks like a lot of us had last minute gifts to buy. I wanted to go see for myself and sure enough you could barely make it down the boulevard.

eef0380dbeaf01fce865d305d4e9e3b8.jpg

They have a $8500 faberge egg on board that I wanted to see, but I couldn't figure out which one it was in the jewelry department. Ii wasn't interested in purchasing so I didn't want to askone of the sales people.

OH had lunch at the Aquaspa cafe. I took a glance at it and some of the items looks appetizing.

fa277a6c1986a61ddd80a3b37aead8c2.jpg

Bingo started at 3:15pm so I headed up to the Oceanview Cafe to have some lunch but the place was a zoo. I walked around and walked straight out. I picked up my bingo cards with six plays for $49. On the charters, bingo is huge with some of the entertainers that are brought on board hosting it and making it a fun show. It's so popular that they need to use the main stage and it can become standing room only. The pots can be in $800-$1500..

The turnout of the Bingo on this one was very low and the host wasn't really interesting. She kept saying “If you have the number say yeah!!” “If you don't have the number say boo.”

b44d883e26fa05dc6850638c04dc052e.jpg

The pots were in the $150 range. I didn't come close. After Bingo I headed up to the room. OH had his third spa appointment and I went to the lawn deck but it was just too windy and cold.

We went to dinner. I didn't see anything particularly interesting on the Luminae menu so I ordered lobster bisque and the chateaubriand. This was the first time I noticed the difference between Luminae and the way MDR’s food is prepared. We had the lobster bisque a few days ago from Luminae. There were chunks of lobster in the bisque and it was quite tasty. The one from the MDR had a biscuit in it that was topped with soup. There weren't any pieces of lobster and quite flavorless. He chateaubriand was ok, but the sauce was a little runny.

We ordered the creme brûlée and the cherry cake. Both were excellent.

I actually had the energy to go to a show tonight! Unfortunately it was Toppers which I saw on the Equinox last year. I still went to the 10:30pm show and sat on the first floor where they have bar stools in the rear. The show filled up. The premise of the show is the main character keeps all of his friends who have musical and acrobatic talent in this large hat. They come out and do their performance. He keeps them in the hat as he thinks they will run away. I think they are trying to appeal to a younger audience on this show as it included a lot of pop songs.

c2aadca20dc932c0f559648162b56258.jpg

After the show I walked by the pool area and called it a night. Tomorrow is Warnemunde, our last port stop.

Leaving you with a picture from the pool deck tonight.

428047d8ae355cc03f6bb16757e3deb3.jpg

Day 11 - Warnemunde, Germany (Berlin)

Ships arrival is scheduled for 9AM and our tour starts at 9:30AM. I set my alarm to wake me up at 6AM. We were both ready around 7AM. Headed down to the dining room and had a huge breakfast. I always get a cappuccino, and a very talented waitress makes my coffee every morning with a different theme. Today's was exceptional.

7e1e875aa22c895f3dbac1ec2e086e05.jpg

After breakfast I headed up to deck 15 for the sail-in. We were following a ferry from Copenhagen to enter a narrow pier.

90a1542d2630e7ad11d805de0465c1d8.jpg

We passed by an Aida ship which was already docked. To make our berth, the pilot and captain had to make a sharp turn. The gap got pretty narrow between the ships.

b423c8f752ec5012bf25a1f9a117c3fe.jpg

This will probably be the longest excursion for us on this cruise. Warnemunde is a three hour bus ride from Berlin. We got off the ship a little after 9AM. As we were getting in the elevator an announcement for “Starcode, starcode, starcode, room 7xxx” was made. This was third time I heard the announcement on this cruise. When we exited the ship, one ambulance was already parked for another passenger, while another pulled up for the latest event.

We had another passport control but the lines moved much faster. All EU residents have to do is show their passport, US passports were checked and stamped.

A SPG rep was waiting at the cruise terminal. They had three buses for this excursion. After some confusion as to which bus to join, we boarded bus #2. Thumbs up to SPG for not cramming us into one bus. We each could have own row with reclining chairs. After waiting for the last two people, we left around 9:40AM. The ride is along the Autobahn, which normally has no speed limit. I REALLY wish I had my truck from home to try this freeway.

Scenery passing by is agricultural fields and large windmills.

22ef1a7f8d43a3f0835d1e8061714883.jpg

A little over an hour into the drive, the bus driver made an announcement that we would be making a pit stop for food and restrooms. It's customary to leave some money to use to toilets. The bus driver told us to not get in the long line that everyone else from the ship was using, but to use the one in the restaurant. I love it when a guide has a secret tip for us. No line whatsoever where everyone else was in this.

6c7364bb75071ef4c827c44d8d4f5bf8.jpgp

We proceeded to the gas station to get some snacks. I had to try these.

1891cd6aaaf94fca73cef768b9230704.jpg

Western style chips means barbecue flavor. Jack Daniels means I'm buzzed on the bus ride.

Day 11 - Warnemunde, Germany (Berlin) cont’d

We arrived into Berlin a little under three hours. Our driver made an announcement that we would be meeting our city guide at the Olympic stadium. A couple in the bus would be leaving us for their private tour.

Once we arrived at the stadium, our Berlin guide hopped onto our bus to introduce himself. His name is Jim… from Michigan.

d5555f1f7936070a5b1accc116e1cb0c.jpg

He came here to write his thesis, met a girl, got married, just had twins, and has been living here and been a guide for 12 years.

We hopped off the bus to get a better look at stadium. Built for the 1936 Summer Olympics, the design is very sterile. It originally had the capacity of seating 100,000.

8c598ebb4ab8c2ec87a66cae4e1ee87a.jpg

Back on the bus, we headed toward Brandenburg gate. We drove by several points of interest, including the palace of the last royal family before being overthrown in 1918.

fc2cf0195f9ef3cf07fc2950a8ab6912.jpg

We then drove by an oyster shaped building used for concerts which was gift from the US in 1957.

de324812a7a02b5e4961ea4da7936789.jpg

Reichstag, the country’s parliament building was where we got off the bus to continue the walking tour. The building was recently renovated to include a glass dome that has a walkway with views of Berlin.

1dc3878e26d7eb62472de32ffcc4f24f.jpg

Day 11 - Warnemunde, Germany (Berlin) cont'd

We walked from Reichstag to Brandenburg gate. One of the few remaining structures from the 18th century, the structure was damaged but survived the heavy bombings. The columns have evidence of the from the shelling and bullets that had hit the monument.

44800ece83d9885412f8085c42dc0eef.jpg

7aad3a7b40b440c90b9dad00b39c2553.jpg

Our guide showed us pictures of area after the air raids and it looked like a blank canvas.

From Brandenburg gate, we walked by the US Embassy and then to the Holocaust memorial. There are 2271 rectangular cement blocks of different height and size. OH is Jewish so this was a tough memorial. What disappointed me were the number of people (not from our group), mostly young teenagers, who were taking selfies between the blocks or jumping from one block to another as if it were a playground.

d57d6c68fdec7a22018c068999f40556.jpg

After spending about 30 minutes at the memorial, we were given time for lunch.

We reboarded the bus and drove by several areas in East Berlin. There continues to be a lot of revitalization and rebuilding of areas after the unification.

We stopped at Checkpoint Charlie. Unfortunately none of the existing structures relate back to the original checkpoint. The station post, signs, and the men dressed in uniform are all fake. Across the street, the stop did have the actual footprints of where the Berlin Wall existed.

e03a7bc7e5eb8ac195516b51a52af458.jpg

The last stop was where part of the Berlin Wall were still standing. Behind this area was where the SS building was headquartered where many people were tortured. Those buildings have been destroyed, but now a free public museum has been erected to explain the terror that was inflicted by the SS and the regime. As we didn't have time to tour the museum, the guide recommended a book that is sold here that covers most of what is presented in the museum. We purchased the book and walked around the wall.

f1d4c8e59b077a7a6c8c4eb051134cdc.jpg

00db61772727ba48348d3e0823ab7750.jpg

Day 11 - Warnemunde, Germany (Berlin) Final

The wall was the end of the tour, we said goodbye to Jim, and hopped on the bus to do the three hour drive back to port. The drive is very peaceful filled with green farmland dotted with windmills.

3a817576bdef1d3baf4118e75058f603.jpg

We were behind schedule but arrived at the port at 8:30PM. OH ran into the dining room, ordered a ton of food for the both of us, and told waiter to not wait for the next course and bring it all together as they were closing soon. I had to go back up to the room to change since I was in shorts from the excursion. At dinner we were seated next to a lovely couple from England that we’ve been chatting with before.

After dinner we headed up to the room and saw that we had a late departure. Warnemunde’s port is very tight and the ship was in the process of turning 270 degrees to make the turn out of the port. Once the turn was complete, we were in a holding pattern to allow a container ship pass through.

f8ce768bc3fb710dc52a7c3ed7dfc08e.jpg

It was around 10pm but there were plenty of onlookers from the pier waving their cellphones with the flashlight feature.

fede2d4296181ebac002fa8f2d4c6ae2.jpg

I was getting the impression this would be the last time in this town for the Eclipse this year. After the container shipped passed, the Eclipse made three very long bursts on the horn and we started our way out of the harbor.

c3d5ad2436d4223c42ef666bd89eb15d.jpg

Fireworks could be heard and I thought they were being fired from town, but I believe they were coming from the top of the ship. One last person waving their phone from the end of the pier entry and we were out in the sea.

I went to the 11:30pm show in the main theater that was to be a comedian and for adults only, OH went to bed. He had the right idea. 15 minutes spent on flatulence, couple of jokes of where people are from/occupation and it was done.

I gather John Alejandro Escobar is filling in for Sara Gouveia as Michael's Club Concierge. What's he like? Is he organising much stuff in MCs, entertaining etc?

Could you ask him how long he is in place for and when Sara returns?

Sent from my Archos 50 Saphir using Forums mobile app

I was s getting the impression this would be the last time in this town for the Eclipse this year.

And maybe for a long time to come, Silhouette is sailing from Southampton to the Baltic cities next year, as Eclipse is doing a short season (5 sailings) from Dublin and then the rest of the season from Amsterdam.

And maybe for a long time to come, Silhouette is sailing from Southampton to the Baltic cities next year, as Eclipse is doing a short season (5 sailings) from Dublin and then the rest of the season from Amsterdam.

Eclipse is still sailing to the Baltic round trip Amsterdam in summer 2018

absolutboy20,

I am enjoying your live report very much. We did the 12 night Baltic cruise on AZ Journey earlier this month. We had three full days in St Petersburg with SPB but didn't do Moscow as others on our roll call did. They were extremely glad they took the more than full day journey. But tired from the eight hour round trip plus sightseeing.

You've taken some excellent pictures. Seems as if we took almost identical shots of many of the places. It was nice to relive the various locations without having to pull up mine. :D TYVM.

Day 12 - At Sea (4th Sea Day)

Preface: I have been trying to post this sea day with pictures but have been unsuccessful for two days. The Xcelerate on sea days has been a mixed bag, or terrible. I will finish off the rest of the blog tomorrow with some reliable internet. And I also apologize for the horrid grammatical errors in my previous posts. I've been posting through Tapatalk and Grey Goose. Below is what I was able to post with pictures after days of failure on Tapatalk.

As we didn't have an early excursion I didn't set the alarm and I woke up around 8AM. It is going to be a chilly day, around 60F with cloudy skies. I went down for breakfast and the artwork for today was:

6794a0c6d4ff82369028ed6edc1ff2a5.jpg

OH was going to join me for breakfast but as soon as he opened the cabin door, Alfred was walking by who told him his usual breakfast had already been ordered and he will be bringing it in five minutes.

We actually have one final excursion this trip with a meeting time of 9:45AM at the shore excursions desk.

We met up at the starting point, and I forgot to bring down our photo id’s which was required, but at least the room is only an elevator ride away. We signed all the waiver paperwork, given a earpiece, and a lanyard. We were ready to begin the behind the scenes ship tour.

Our first stop was the MDR. We entered through the 4th floor and were greeted by the MDR manager. On the main floor, breakfast was still being served. He pointed out that the MDR is the same in every S-class ship, except for the name, carpet, and chair colors. The dining room’s shape is supposed to be inspired by a champagne bottle. Bubbles on the entry wall, the base being the wall nearest the entry, curvature of the railings being the shape of a bottle, and the wine cellar being the cork.

The MDR can serve 1300 guests at a time with 160 crew as service staff. The most expensive bottle in the cellar? A Screaming Eagle for $4,000. The most difficult part for the MDR staff? There are only 30 tables by the window and everyone wants a view. On average 500 bottles of wine are consumed in the MDR a day.

f8675d821f504b73df3aaf12012b7098.jpg

After bidding the manager goodbye, we then proceeded down to the galley.

The galley was very active in preparation for lunch and dinner. We started in the pastry section then moved along to the entrees being prepared. There are two galleys on the 3rd and 4th floor with the same layout.

In one of the cold rooms, they were preparing the lobster tails for the night.

5b65577916849c72944ee908bf4cd34c.jpg

As we were nearing the end of the cruise, the storage rooms were becoming fairly empty.

b7f7d5a446b9cb51b1b19767dfea156a.jpg

50,000lbs of meat on average are consumed on a 14 day cruise.

There was still plenty of high end liquor in stock.

58e929acc436f517cae420dc5d1ba6eb.jpg

The recipes for all of the meals are posted on one wall.

ceef11cd7d5ad89e0d48902f713c6d7c.jpg

Day 12 - At Sea (4th Sea Day)

We toured the laundry facility as well but it was fairly quiet in that department as all of the work had been completed in the early morning hours. Their laundry machines can handle 50kilos per load.

91d8b721a6e41b24cb7bbce2514cb43d.jpg

ce898eba1db506ea480e12c9f1cdcc68.jpg

The engine room required us to meet up with security where the gangway and metal detectors are located. We had to sign in and have security do a thorough check.

The engine room is a windowless room with a lot of buttons and monitors. The engineer informed us that we they were running only two out of the four diesel engines. The engines can provide power for up to 50,000 residential homes. The diesel consumption was 5,000 liters per hour. I asked if the ship refueled for this cruise, and he stated they did but it was not due to the fact that they were running low on fuel, but the price of fuel is cheaper in Russia than in Southampton. There are two rooms that are identical in case one engine room fails.

9c860e36329c6ae14863759c322b2fa0.jpg

After leaving the engine room, we walked the I95 corridor which the staff use to get from one side of the ship to the other.

aa10427ef59c6f34913f7a328c608528.jpg

Last stop was the bridge. Security met us, we signed in, and had to go through another body check. Once cleared we were buzzed in. The staff captain gave us the tour. I knew the bridge was big but there are chairs and a coffee table with the best views.

cde03ce57296cfb39203f3c8c57c0bc5.jpg

The coolest part is the glass floor.

823a002d19935014d44cd68cb6881905.jpg

The ship was on autopilot and we could see the wake of the ship as it made a slight turn. The crew on the bridge work in four hour shifts. Captain Leo showed up at the end of the tour to answer any questions and for a photo opportunity. I have to say he has been the friendliest captains and most visible ones I have had on a cruise. We spent about twenty minutes up there before the tour ended.

How much did this tour cost?

Do you know if the cost was the same if booked pre-cruise and if booked while on the ship?

The cost was around $100 per person. No discounts and they had them on all five sea days. Pretty popular I hear.

Day 12 - 4th Sea Day - Final

After the ship tour, we headed to the dining room for lunch.

06a15f6c4fbbaac427cca59958485128.jpg

I had the soup and a burger. The soups on this cruise have been excellent.

The weather today has been terrible, cold and windy. So I ventured out to the lawn deck which was empty, and made it to the Sunset Bar.

3bc801340a51adae2acf74b1dd92063f.jpg

A ghost town. BUT I finally was able to get the coveted spot!

1497fb2685d6c036832f509642970ffb.jpg

I did sit there for about 15 minutes while writing the review, and having a Grey Goose with club soda, splash of cranberry for color.

The evenings entertainment was Ukebox. A British band that plays the ukulele.

c0459ebff881c551dc297f1e6feb2d5f.jpg

I thought it was quite entertaining. Ended up buying a couple of their songs off Itunes. After the show there was a after show similar to "Who's Telling the Truth" featuring the captain, cruise director Eddie, and the comedian from last night. A word was displayed on the screen, we had to guess which of the three was defining the term correctly. The captain always went back to the origin of the word being a Greek term. [emoji2]

6e249456c454454402cf0ab6cae7ba94.jpg