UPDATE: Azamara Journey October 2018 sailings

tromvest

I have to agree with Dave.

We were not booked on the TA. We are not happy. We had 2 cruises B2B that would have us going roundtrip out of Rome and we had about 3 days in Venice on the turnaround. We were on fabulous itineraries to places that we really wanted to go.....some to places we had visited before like Kotor, Malta, Taormina, Sorrento, etc. our itinerary is nothing like that now. We cancelled.

Now we have found a new cruise for that timeframe that we have booked on a different cruiseline entirely....not in the Royal Caribbean family.....and we are RCCL shareholders. This has been VERY disappointing for us and we do not like the way it was handled.

Edited to add: we booked with a new TA today who acknowledged that she has many clients who are affected by this situation and they are VERY unhappy with the situation.

As we get more posts from passengers who have been offered deals that work well for them, it appears that the number of passengers who feel they are getting a raw deal is fairly small (especially TA/B2B pax). So it is even more surprising that Azamara hasn't identified that small group and called with personalized offers. Small luxury cruise lines are supposed to be distinguished by their personalized service!

I can't speak for the numbers involved, but I think this is a very good idea.

In our case a 10 day cruise was swapped for another itinerary, also 10 days, and the compensation offered we considered quite reasonable. In fact, it was well within the parameters of a previous offer we accepted for a cruise alteration necessitated for the spring of 2018.

As far as communications from Azamara, they certainly needed to be clearer but, given that the cruise was more than a year away, I personally didn't have a sense of urgency, especially with Bonnie's clarifications. However, if we had to switch cruise lines for the TA we might not be so sanguine.

Certainly it would be excellent if those with the b2b and TA could also feel well done by. And your suggestion makes evident good sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would like to let all interested know that today I have received confirmation that Azamara will honour my B2B reservations. It has been a frustrating time and could have been handled in a better manner but I am grateful and I can now look forward to a voyage visiting Spain and then the relaxing TA. Sadly some friends have already canceled. I hope others are hearing positive news.

I would like to let all interested know that today I have received confirmation that Azamara will honour my B2B reservations. It has been a frustrating time and could have been handled in a better manner but I am grateful and I can now look forward to a voyage visiting Spain and then the relaxing TA. Sadly some friends have already canceled. I hope others are hearing positive news.

Thank you mugggs for reporting back. I'm very glad you were able to rebook with us.

Our wonderful TA took charge of this issue for us and in the end Azamara has been very fair in providing us with alternate b2b cruises for comparable prices. These are still well over a year out so keeping our fingers crossed there won't be more changes. So while we are still disappointed that we will be missing our first cruise choices and how this all unfolded, we have had a reasonable resolution.

Help! Azamara UK booking conditions state that 'an alternative cruise that is equivalent or better will be offered for the same monies'. My travel agent is saying that the new TA is the only offer and meets these conditions as the new TA costs the same as the old one! Despite it being in a different month, 3 days shorter and a totally different itinerary! This cannot be right. The ultimatum is accept this or cancel. All new cruises are now very pricey as the free nights offer has now expired while we were waiting for Azamara / the agent to get back to us. This seems so unfair, uncaring and very unAzamara. Or is this the new reality of what Azamara has become? This was supposed to be a special time for my sister who is reaching a significant year. I feel conned.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Help! Azamara UK booking conditions state that 'an alternative cruise that is equivalent or better will be offered for the same monies'. My travel agent is saying that the new TA is the only offer and meets these conditions as the new TA costs the same as the old one! Despite it being in a different month, 3 days shorter and a totally different itinerary! This cannot be right. The ultimatum is accept this or cancel. All new cruises are now very pricey as the free nights offer has now expired while we were waiting for Azamara / the agent to get back to us. This seems so unfair, uncaring and very unAzamara. Or is this the new reality of what Azamara has become? This was supposed to be a special time for my sister who is reaching a significant year. I feel conned.

Your travel agent is like most and believes what Azamara tells them plus they don't want to lose their commission. Azamara's U.K. Terms and conditions reflect the 1992 Package Travel Regulations, clause 13.2 being the relevant section. Equivalent or better quality relates to the package being offered not the price, it also states that it has to be provided at the current price even if it's cost is higher.

Has your travel agent contacted Azamara in the U.K. or just Guatemala? Try contacting Azamara's UK Managing Director Richard Twynam (RTwynam@azamaraclubcruises.com) he is usually very helpful.

I feel your pain. Finally spoke to my agent today (she's still on a cruise but can use cell phone from San Juan). She called Azamara and was told that the 3-night shorter Transatlantic for the same fare as the 17-night cancelled one, plus $500 OBC, is their final offer, take it or leave it. She was annoyed and elevated it to a supervisor = same response. I just sent her a text: "Take it or leave it? Leave it!!" I did give it careful consideration but in reality, I hate flying into Lisbon, want a longer cruise, don't want to go to Bermuda, and can't imagine a shore excursion on which I could use a total of $875 OBC during 27 hours in Havana. Sorry it didn't work out. In the words of flight attendants everywhere, "buh-bye."

I'm not sure, being ignored by the agent at the moment! It's at times like these that you really value a good travel agent. Mine isn't. A big thank you for your reply. Will send an email and see what comes of it. I'm just looking for a fair outcome.

I'm not sure, being ignored by the agent at the moment! It's at times like these that you really value a good travel agent. Mine isn't. A big thank you for your reply. Will send an email and see what comes of it. I'm just looking for a fair outcome.

Good luck, I'm sure Richard will help you.

You are not the only one, I am being ignored by mine as well. I received the letter from her, but since early last week I have been trying to find out what the "prorated rate" is and she has not gotten back to me.

Update on my "saga":

I spoke to Ricardo at AZ this AM...my booking was finally transferred back to me (my horrible TA had sent the request to the wrong email address) so AZ would talk to me. Here's what was my "bottom line"...1) Will keep my booking # for the cancelled T/A and the "CruiseNow" 7% discount and the $100 OBC pp and deposit will "reside" with that booking # and can be applied to any new future booking. If I can not find nor can not take another cruise the $550 deposit will be refunded to me. 2) Since my other booked cruise with AZ (T/P in fall '19) already had a "CruiseNow" discount and OMB of $200 I could not 'move" the T/A "CruiseNow" items to that sailing. 3) AZ is allowing me to transfer the '19 T/P to a new TA since the old TA abandoned me.

So Ricardo and AZ finally gave me answers. I asked Ricardo if I could mention his name on CC as he seems to be very "up to speed" with the entire situation. Mark Zaro was also a very helpful rep.

I am hopeful that everyone who is still "hanging" will be helped and find a good solution for them. Sorry I won't be meeting you all on this "doomed T/A" but hope to see you on another sailing! Thanks for all your support and help! LuAnn

I am not used to being in this situation. It is only because we are looking at a family celebration that we would plan so far in advance. I am appalled at how we have been treated. In my naivety I assumed that we would be well looked after. At the moment I don't even feel that we in the UK are being treated legally. Last year my Seabourn cruise had a a minor alteration due to the Turkey situation and we had an abundance of credit, refunds and expenses. It wasn't even their fault! Now here we stand with Azamara, offloaded and abandoned, all their doing for a (I hope VERY profitable) charter. I just want want to be treated fairly. That is not happening. I am a relatively young cruiser (40's) and have been lucky enough to experience 20 or so luxury cruises with Silversea, Seabourn and Azamara. I won't throw my toys out, but I will say that Azamara have not shone on this occasion. They can, and must do better.

I am not used to being in this situation. It is only because we are looking at a family celebration that we would plan so far in advance. I am appalled at how we have been treated. In my naivety I assumed that we would be well looked after. At the moment I don't even feel that we in the UK are being treated legally. Last year my Seabourn cruise had a a minor alteration due to the Turkey situation and we had an abundance of credit, refunds and expenses. It wasn't even their fault! Now here we stand with Azamara, offloaded and abandoned, all their doing for a (I hope VERY profitable) charter. I just want want to be treated fairly. That is not happening. I am a relatively young cruiser (40's) and have been lucky enough to experience 20 or so luxury cruises with Silversea, Seabourn and Azamara. I won't throw my toys out, but I will say that Azamara have not shone on this occasion. They can, and must do better.

I completely agree with you. It is not fair and nor does it seem legal. I think cruise companies generally will need to be taken to task for some of their practices.

However, I also think you need to decide whether the hassle is worth it and could it spoil the family celebration. Will it now put you in the wrong frame of mind for any minor inconvenience on board? Do you still want to go on the new cruise? What is the minimum you will accept (seeing what others are being offered)?

Or is this now tainted and just decide to take your money elsewhere? A family celebration is far more important in my view (which is of course why you are annoyed).

Our TA finally got back to us after hearing from Azamara. We are transferring over to the new TA, we will get $500 OBC plus we got a reduction in price (pro-rated rate). We are happy with what they offered us.

Our TA finally got back to us after hearing from Azamara. We are transferring over to the new TA, we will get $500 OBC plus we got a reduction in price (pro-rated rate). We are happy with what they offered us.

Pleased you have a satisfactory result. My B2B is in place also, but I've not been assigned a cabin for the TA. Hope the voyage is not fully booked and I'm then assigned a dreadful cabin. I had an assigned cabin originally.

Pleased you have a satisfactory result. My B2B is in place also, but I've not been assigned a cabin for the TA. Hope the voyage is not fully booked and I'm then assigned a dreadful cabin. I had an assigned cabin originally.

We don't have a cabin yet either on the new TA. Fingers are crossed for something good.

I was certainly not happy with the $142 price reduction for the loss of 3 nights on a cruise where my cost was over $300 per night! My offer was certainly not pro-rated! I'm still out almost $800, the $500 does not cover that!

I'm a new cruiser with Azamara and this whole fiasco will make me think twice in the future about booking so far ahead with this line. My cruise got switched to Spain now instead of Italy. If I wasn't interested in visiting Spain I would have just cancelled.

I was certainly not happy with the $142 price reduction for the loss of 3 nights on a cruise where my cost was over $300 per night! My offer was certainly not pro-rated! I'm still out almost $800, the $500 does not cover that!

Something does not sound right with your prorated refund. We got back what we expected, the prorated amount for going from 17 days to 14. $142 does not sound right at all, something is wrong with that.

This is the second time in consecutive years Azamara cancelled the essentially same b2b out of Rome. Those of us who plan ahead for multiple cruise trips, this is the end of booking on Azamara. There are better alternatives. Sad.

Perhaps you need to talk with Azamara again and get this renegotiated

It sounds like everyone gets a different "deal" depending on their negotiating skills, or those of their agent. :( I wish they would just treat us all fairly, without us having to play games. I'm extremely disappointed with a cruise line that I thought was my favourite.

They will not only sell out the new cruises, but at higher prices/margins too. Cuba is hot. And they'll attract a lot of first timers. First timers are, on average, much easier to please, give higher evaluation scores, cost less (no perks) and spend more money on board. RCI tracks Azamara's performance against all these numbers and more, so Management will ultimately be very happy with their decisions.

Many on here, myself included, tend to overrate the importance of "loyalty". Cruise lines don't care if YOU are on board; they care if someone is on board - the person who pays the highest per day price with the least OBC and ideally no free perks.

If it brings more margin, your cruise will be cancelled for a charter or your itinerary will be changed to a more profitable one. Azamara does seem to do this a lot more often than other lines however. I don't know if that's a function of having only 2 ships, releasing itineraries (too) early, planning poor itineraries (from the cruise line's "margin" point of view) in the first place or all of the above. What I do know is that it is one of the reasons I'm no longer a loyalist myself and am enjoying other lines - like so many others on here.

Floris

This attitude is not unique to Azamara. Every line we've sailed on (and from a lot of what I read on CC for the lines we haven't) has turned their focus to new cruisers. Their attitude seems to be that we're hooked and will endure reduced shoreside service, reps who do not know their own product, outsourcing to ESL countries and reduced onboard perks. On the last point, since we first sailed Azamara in 2007, the onboard experience has become much better (reflected in the prices), but shoreside is a fiasco.

Azamara have priced themselves out of the market for us, so once we have burned through our existing cruises in October and a reduced-price cruise in 2019 (the result of a shortened cruise to Asia last year), we are likely finished with them unless an amazing deal presents itself.