Saturday departure MIA or FLL?

Carolina Girl 99

We usually drive down to Miami from SC when cruising, but this time it's only myself and DS so we have opted to fly since I hate the +/- 8 hour drive home afterwards. We debark NCL Escape on a Saturday morning and have the choice of flying out of either MIA or FLL. I am totally unfamiliar with FL airports and am looking for advice as to which airport is likely to be less crowded or would be the easiest one to navigate regarding the boarding process. I am aware of recommended departure times and am looking at flights departing MIA no earlier than 10:45 or no earlier than 11:45 for FLL.

Any advice/recommendation is appreciated!

It depends on how many other ships are in port & how many people are flying out that day

I would choose the airport that you get the best fare from

I would not book a flight before noon at either one

you might make an early flight but you might not ..why stress out

JMO

If you are disembarking at the Port Of Miami then if the fares are the same or close I would go with Miami Airport.

I am not sure when you are flying but if you do not have Pre TSA Check then I would look for flights of around 11:30 PM or later in Miami and around Noon for Fort Lauderdale. Again I am assuming your port of disembarkation is Miami. I say this thinking that the lines might be longer with the announced changes of the electronics that must be taken out of the carry on bags.

Personally I prefer Miami airport. I know locals often prefer Fort Lauderdale but often that is because of their proximity to the airport from their homes.

The terminal that we fly out of in Miami is a lot nicer then the equivalent at Fort Lauderdale and when we arrive early it is a more pleasant environment.

Keith

Which is your home airport?

From CHS there are non stop flights between MIA (American) or FLL (JetBlue).

From SAV there are no non stops to either airport. You will likely have to fly via CLT, more than doubling travel time.

JetBlue flies from Terminal 3 at FLL which operates at absolute crush capacity. And Saturday is the worst day of all. Given you are on an NCL ship with its free-for-all disembarkation policy (more a non-policy) the earliest I would book a flight from FLL would be 1:00 or 1:30.

The North Terminal at MIA used by AA is much more modern and spacious than any at FLL. Multiple baggage drops and security checkpoints. You can make an 11:00 flight from MIA as long as you are committed to get in the disembarkation line as soon as the ship is cleared (meaning being out of your cabin with your bags and hanging around the deck with the gangway 30-60 minutes before scheduled arrival).

From the Port of Miami I would push it a little later unless you are committed to getting off the ship early. (I hate rushing off the ship and prefer to be one of the last off). I would say 11:00am for Miami and 12:30pm for FLL.

If the fares are the same, go with MIA. The airport is closer to the Port and IMO an easier airport to fly out of. FLL is a disaster right now and while this might be a stereotype, its has more infrequent flyers and families with airlines like Southwest and Spirit which make lines even longer, especially security. The terminal JetBlue uses (the non-stop to CHS) is also small and crowded. The amenities at FLL are lacking as well and to top it off its a longer drive from the port.

MIA is actually a busier airport, but its much larger. The terminal for the non-stop to CHS (American Airlines) is large and modern with tons of amenities.

In the end, if the fare is around the same go with MIA. If either airport will save you good money, (keeping in mind the extra money to get to FLL) go with the cheaper airport.

Also the flight schedule would be important as well of course. FLL only has one nonstop flight a day to CHS on JetBlue and it leaves in the evening. Where today American has three, one at 10am (too early) another at 4:30pm and another at 9:30pm.

Options with connections in ATL and CLT will be around the same from either airport.

Guess you could also look at flights into and out of Jacksonville which there are plenty of as well.

So much excellent advice and information, thanks to everyone who took the time to reply!

SAV is my closest home airport, so I will likely fly Delta (routing through ATL) or American (routing through CLT) as I can get flights with a quick layover and total flight time around 4- 4.5 hours so this drops JetBlue and Southwest out of the equation. The non-stop CHS/FLL roundtrip is the quickest and cheapest, but involves a 2 hour drive each way for me, so that's my 2nd choice

Looks like MIA is the best fit for me and they have a 1:00 flight which sounds perfect!