Thoughts on the future of Cuba cruising?

So, now that my 2018 cruise is fully planned, I'm looking towards 2019 :) We've done a lot of the Caribbean lately, and just aren't excited about it right now. I'm torn between doing a land vacation, or a cruise we haven't done before (Panama Canal or Cuba). However, I'm kind of nervous about Cuba... what if the laws change again, and we aren't able to go?

Do you guys think that Cuba is "here to stay" or that there is a risk of it being banned again?

RCCL has cruises that go to 3 different communist countries. Booking on any of them is always a risk that something will change. It won't stop me from booking, but I would monitor it for changes.

What's the third communist country besides Cuba and China? I'm drawing a blank.

RCI seems to think business will pick up with the addition of Majesty in 2019 to the Cuban mix.

Fully agree.

Since we still have the license option of "Support to Cuban People"- that will allow one to focus on the privately owned businesses in Havana- and it's likely not to change much.

But, we will see what happens on Sept 16.

I wouldn't give my money to any communist country. Treat the citizens well, and I am happy to help out with my tourist dollars.

Thank you for your statement. I wholeheartedly agree.

Out of curiosity- where did the computer you typed these posts on come from? Or your cell phone?

Out of curiosity- where did the computer you typed these posts on come from? Or your cell phone?

Our relationship with Cuba is a tad different than Vietnam and China. Deciding on getting a computer or phone not built in a communist country is a little different than deciding on which island nation to visit on a cruise as well.

Thank you for your statement. I wholeheartedly agree.

I wouldn't give my money to any communist country. Treat the citizens well, and I am happy to help out with my tourist dollars.

Tourist investment will almost certainly improve the lives of the locals, maintaining historic prejudices will certainly not. Not visiting just punishes the locals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Because the communist government controls every aspect of these poor people's lives, I highly doubt they would ever let them prosper from tourist dollars. I don't believe things have changed that much in Cuba.

So for me personally I would not want to contribute my money that is most likely going to have to be paid back to the Cuban government.

Just my personal opinion.....

Just be aware that you don't just leave the ship and roam around. The tours are highly restricted as to what you see.

Where are you talking about?

Surely not Cuba...I was there in June and passengers were absolutely able to walk off and on the ship unencumbered, and explore the city at will. No need to take a ship tour, or a tour of any kind. No one asked where have you been or where are you going.

Perhaps government buildings or installations have restrictions, that's to be expected, but general tourist areas and sights - no problem exploring on your own.

Where are you talking about?

Surely not Cuba...I was there in June and passengers were absolutely able to walk off and on the ship unencumbered, and explore the city at will. No need to take a ship tour, or a tour of any kind. No one asked where have you been or where are you going.

Perhaps government buildings or installations have restrictions, that's to be expected, but general tourist areas and sights - no problem exploring on your own.

I need to do some research or I missed a HUGE change. But my understanding is, under current law, American citizens are very restricted in what the can legally do while in Cuba. Now, that doesn't mean you cannot do whatever the heck you want...but if you are a citizen you are violating the legal travel restrictions put in place by Congress.

Something I choose not to do. Your opinion may vary.

Restricted, yes. Very restricted, no. You can still organize your own tours. And walk around Old Havana. And buy stuff from entrepreneurs. That is still legal, and directly supporting Cubans is one of the licenses specifically in the documents.

The Cuban government isn't nearly as restrictive as it was even 5 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just be aware that you don't just leave the ship and roam around

This was the case in Russia. Unless you obtained a visa prior to arrival (which requires a Russian sponsor), you couldn't leave the pier without being in a tour group. However, the neither of the two tours we booked on Royal (including the one to Moscow, which included the Kremlin and Red Square) tried to keep us away from the locals and we did freely mingle with them. We were also given free time without any supervision by the guides; they would tell us when and where to meet up again and we got their cell number to call if we ever got separated.

My understanding on Cuba is that their visa is easy to obtain and could be done on arrival; even before certain travel restrictions were relaxed by the US.

Our relationship with Cuba is a tad different than Vietnam and China. Deciding on getting a computer or phone not built in a communist country is a little different than deciding on which island nation to visit on a cruise as well.

You can cruise to china and Vietnam too.

The only difference between the three countries is that no company has decided to take advantage of cheap Cuban labor.

The Cuban government isn't nearly as restrictive as it was even 5 years ago.

I'm not talking about restrictions from the Cuban government...I'm talking about restrictions from the American government.

I'm not talking about restrictions from the Cuban government...I'm talking about restrictions from the American government.

US restrictions are not as bad as most seem to think. At least I don't think so.

I think, or at least I think out of hope, that the Cuban cruises will stay. Hopefully, the cruises can act as a means of education to Americans, and will hopefully begin a paved road between relations in the future. Obviously, fathom isn't around anymore, but if Royal opens up some cultural immersion or volunteer excursions (not sure if they have any, I could be wrong), and continues to promote even recreational tourism to the island, there will be more Americans with a positive image of the Cuban people, after interacting with them and their culture, which will also lead to a cultural respect. Once there is respect, it will be veryh easy to pave the way for future relations. This whole idea of cruising Cuba couldn't have happened 20 years ago, we as a society were just not open to the idea of opening up to Cuba. But now, in 2017, we are willing to open up relations and try to build a future relationship. This thing is solely based out of the openness of Americans and the changing cultural among American people. Hopefully, if it can stick it out through the current administration, I believe that Cuba cruises will be here to stay, and will hopefully grow in number/impact as the Cuban government works to increase the size of their ports and airports.

As for booking your Cuba trip, I would say to keep in mind the saying "there's no time like the present". You never know what could happen to you, or the situation with the Cuban relations, or the ships that cruise there, etc, so I would definitely say to go for it if it's soemthing you want to do!

I think, or at least I think out of hope, that the Cuban cruises will stay. Hopefully, the cruises can act as a means of education to Americans, and will hopefully begin a paved road between relations in the future. Obviously, fathom isn't around anymore, but if Royal opens up some cultural immersion or volunteer excursions (not sure if they have any, I could be wrong), and continues to promote even recreational tourism to the island, there will be more Americans with a positive image of the Cuban people, after interacting with them and their culture, which will also lead to a cultural respect. Once there is respect, it will be veryh easy to pave the way for future relations. This whole idea of cruising Cuba couldn't have happened 20 years ago, we as a society were just not open to the idea of opening up to Cuba. But now, in 2017, we are willing to open up relations and try to build a future relationship. This thing is solely based out of the openness of Americans and the changing cultural among American people. Hopefully, if it can stick it out through the current administration, I believe that Cuba cruises will be here to stay, and will hopefully grow in number/impact as the Cuban government works to increase the size of their ports and airports.

As for booking your Cuba trip, I would say to keep in mind the saying "there's no time like the present". You never know what could happen to you, or the situation with the Cuban relations, or the ships that cruise there, etc, so I would definitely say to go for it if it's soemthing you want to do!

Cubans that have escaped the country don't generally agree with you. It's viewed as supporting the oppressive government.