When to fly down for a cruise?

parkbr

Hi,

I need some help on our upcoming cruise in December!

We are on Allure of the Seas departing Dec 10. (Sun) and we're flying from Toronto. FYI, we're not flying in the same day of cruise. I am debating whether it is too risky to fly in late afternoon the day before the cruise given weather, etc..

Details are below:

The flight options we currently have:

1. Friday Dec 8th (leaving: 4:45pm - arriving 8pm)

Pro: Good price. Get to FLL. have a peace of mind that we're there.

Con: have to use half-day off, 2 night hotel, what's there to do in Fort Lauderdale? I don't recall doing much last time we flew a day before.

2. Saturday Dec 9th (leaving 8:30 AM - arriving 11:30AM)

Pro: Get to FLL early in the day. Only 1 night hotel.

Con: $150 more for 3 of us. Have to wake up at 4:30 to get to the airport (possibly earlier if the weather is bad). Our 3-year old will get very tired as her usual wake up time is 7:30 - 8:30 and won't sleep during her flight. (she had been having frequent nose bleeding when she's tired which worries me)

3. Saturday Dec 9th (leaving: 4:45pm - arriving 8pm)

Pro: Good price. only 1 night hotel

Con: arriving too late? No buffer if flight gets cancelled?

I've also thought about flying to Miami and MCO and renting a car, staying in more budget friendly hotel, but it's more expensive or have to use full-day off.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: We're definitely flying a day before. So that we can wake up late! Also, last time we went, we were allowed in the boat around 11:30, had lunch, and had so much fun just exploring!

Also, I believe I am more concerned now that we're traveling with a toddler..

Edited by parkbr

I prefer to fly in the day before and get a hotel, just in case there are delays.

The other option would be to use Royal Caribbeans Choice Air (I think thats what it is called). I had to use it once because I could not get enough time off work and had to fly the day of the cruise. It may be slightly more expensive or may be the same price but the good thing is that if there are delays in your flight and you don't make it to the cruise terminal in time they are supposed to make arrangements for you to fly to the next port to meet the ship. I did not have to take advantage of this as my flight had no delays and I made it with plenty of time to spare.

Hi,

We are on Allure of the Seas departing Dec 10. (Sun) and we're flying from Toronto.

1. Friday Dec 8th (4:45 - 8)

Con: have to use half-day off, 2 night hotel, what's there to do in Fort Lauderdale? I don't recall doing much last time we flew a day before. Check out http://www.sunny.org. There's plenty to do in Fort Lauderdale starting with the water taxi (http://www.watertaxi.com), the beach, the Boat Parade on Dec 9th (https://winterfestparade.com/events/the-seminole-hard-rock-winterfest-boat-parade), you can rent a car on Saturday and go the Everglades National Park, etc.

2. Saturday Dec 9th (8:30 - 11:30)

Con: $150 more for 3 of us. Have to wake up at 4:30 to get to the airport (possibly earlier if the weather is bad). Our 3-year old will get very tired as her usual wake up time is 7:30 - 8:30 and won't sleep during her flight. (she had been having frequent nose bleeding when she's tired which worries me)

3. Saturday Dec 9th (4:45 - 8:00)

I've also thought about flying to Miami and MCO and renting a car, staying in more budget friendly hotel, but it's more expensive or have to use full-day off.

Any thoughts?

See comments in red. I would never fly in the day of, especially in the winter from Canada.

I prefer to fly in the day before and get a hotel, just in case there are delays.

The other option would be to use Royal Caribbeans Choice Air (I think thats what it is called). I had to use it once because I could not get enough time off work and had to fly the day of the cruise. It may be slightly more expensive or may be the same price but the good thing is that if there are delays in your flight and you don't make it to the cruise terminal in time they are supposed to make arrangements for you to fly to the next port to meet the ship. I did not have to take advantage of this as my flight had no delays and I made it with plenty of time to spare.

Thanks!

Flying in a day before is not an option for us. I am too chicken. LOL!

Whatever you do it's in your best interest to arrive at least a day earlier. Especially since you are flying from Canada the weather can be bad, flight delay due to a mechanical issue, flight crew issue, etc. Thirty years ago I had no problem flying in the day of from New Jersey but not anymore. It's so much better to spend a night in FLL, get up and have a nice breakfast, and get to the port early and ready to enjoy your vacation.

See comments in red. I would never fly in the day of, especially in the winter from Canada.

Thank you for the info. I will look into it. The Boat Parade seems quite interesting too.

I'd never fly on Sunday either.

Fly in Friday

the hotel will cost you but at least you will be there in case of weather delays

plus not getting up at the crack of dawn to catch the morning flight

Look for a hotel near 17th st there are shops & restaurants close by

We liked Hyatt Place 17th st ..they have guest laundry in case you need it with a toddler in tow ;)

Fly in Friday

the hotel will cost you but at least you will be there in case of weather delays

plus not getting up at the crack of dawn to catch the morning flight

Look for a hotel near 17th st there are shops & restaurants close by

We liked Hyatt Place 17th st ..they have guest laundry in case you need it with a toddler in tow ;)

Another vote for Hyatt Place...We just stayed there in March and booked using:

http://www.valuetrips.com Your Dec time frame should be $159.00 per night.

Great location....hot breakfast....shuttle from FLL is $2.00 per room.

Hi,

We are on Allure of the Seas departing Dec 10. (Sun) and we're flying from Toronto. FYI, we're not flying in the same day of cruise. I am debating whether it is too risky to fly in late afternoon the day before the cruise given weather, etc..

Details are below:

1. Friday Dec 8th (leaving: 4:45pm - arriving 8pm)

Con: have to use half-day off, 2 night hotel, what's there to do in Fort Lauderdale? I don't recall doing much last time we flew a day before.

2. Saturday Dec 9th (leaving 8:30 AM - arriving 11:30AM)

3. Saturday Dec 9th (leaving: 4:45pm - arriving 8pm)

Any thoughts?

EDIT: We're definitely flying a day before. So that we can wake up late! Also, last time we went, we were allowed in the boat around 11:30, had lunch, and had so much fun just exploring!

Also, I believe I am more concerned now that we're traveling with a toddler..

There are three lines in your post that I focused on:

1. ...have to use half-day off... - Yipee!!! :D
  2. ...Have to wake up at 4:30... - Yuck!!! :mad:
  3. ...arriving too late? - Yes! :mad:

In my mind, Friday Dec 8 is the winner. I'd scariffice a half-day from work to avoid waking at such an early hour or to arrive too late in the evening.

Now it's time to reseach what to do in South Florida, and which beach-front hotel to stay. :cool:

I don't know that you "have" to do a whole lot even if you come down a couple days early. Just relax and start the vacation early. We only live three hours north of Miami and are coming down two days before our Navigator cruise to have Thanksgiving down there and just relax. If you can afford and justify it, I would come down on the 8th if nothing else because another day on vacation is much better than another day at work!

Thank you all for your input.

I have found a cheaper flight from Fort Myers for Sat morning (leaving at 8), but after reading your post, maybe we can just relax and get excited for our cruise. =)

Friday it is!

Thank you!!

Friday it is!

Thank you!!

Something your daughter might be interested in is Blue Foot Pirate Adventures (http://www.bluefootpirates.com/) that is very highly rated (5 stars) on TripAdvisor. We haven't been on it yet but when our granddaughter visits next winter she'll be turning 3 and it is already on our itinerary!

Something your daughter might be interested in is Blue Foot Pirate Adventures (http://www.bluefootpirates.com/) that is very highly rated (5 stars) on TripAdvisor. We haven't been on it yet but when our granddaughter visits next winter she'll be turning 3 and it is already on our itinerary!

Thank you so much. Your posting actually ringed me a bell. We have ASTC Travel Passport membership from our local Science Centre and that takes us to Museum of Discovery and Science for free!! I think we'll do that instead and free trolley also goes there. It has 4.4 stars from Google with 659 reviewers. Maybe you should consider this as well, since some cruise ships already have some pirate-themed fun activities for kids. =)

Thank you so much. Your posting actually ringed me a bell. We have ASTC Travel Passport membership from our local Science Centre and that takes us to Museum of Discovery and Science for free!! I think we'll do that instead and free trolley also goes there. It has 4.4 stars from Google with 659 reviewers. Maybe you should consider this as well, since some cruise ships already have some pirate-themed fun activities for kids. =)

The Museum is wonderful. On one of our first cruises out of Fort Lauderdale (before we moved down here), my husband and I spent hours there on our own since our kids were already grown and we didn't have any grandchildren at the time. Have a great cruise and mini-vacation in Fort Lauderdale!