Can You Bring Fans Onboard?

metsmom

I've been seeing people mentioning that their rooms were too warm to be comfortable and the AC not working all that great in the cabins. We will be on the Pride in Balcony room soon and I was planning on bringing 2 small portable fans that are Battery/plug in to put by our bed to help us sleep. Being a middle age woman I get so hot when I sleep! One person mentioned they took it out of her checked luggage! Does anyone know what if any kind of fan you can bring? Is a battery one ok but not electric? Any help anyone can offer would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

Edited by metsmom

I bring an USB/rechargeable battery 6" fan.

There is only one US outlet. Either bring an extension cord and/or a Euro plug adapter. No surge protection on the extension cord. Land and sea ground differently.

While I know some have been successful, in Galveston, they took my 8" fan at check-in. It was new in-box (I had heard they may be picky about the condition of the cord, etc.). It was $10-12 at Wal-Mart, They said something about trying to get it back once on board, but, quite honestly, it wasn't that big a deal, so I never followed up on that. I probably would have if we found the cabin to be too warm.

So, it appears to be hot-or-miss, probably dependent on port, personnel, or even how long the line is.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I bring on a battery operated fan, have had no problem bringing it on, now the thing is, the sound helps me to sleep, and sometimes the room doesn't need it. our cabin in Alaska was too warm, but i didn't want to fly with the fan, so that was really the only time I didn't have it but needed it. All other cruises, the temp was fine, but I like air moving, especially if i dont have a window i can open.

We have brought a 6" fan with us on both cruises and it was helpful, if not for the air but for a little white noise. I saw a lady with a box fan (yes, the big box fan) getting off at Galveston a few weeks ago and wondered how she got that monster on the boat!

We have brought a 6" fan with us on both cruises and it was helpful, if not for the air but for a little white noise. I saw a lady with a box fan (yes, the big box fan) getting off at Galveston a few weeks ago and wondered how she got that monster on the boat!

I emailed Carnival and asked about bringing a box fan and they said they were allowed. We plan to bring one in October and hope for the best (I am printing out the email from Carnival saying it is allowed).

While I know some have been successful, in Galveston, they took my 8" fan at check-in. It was new in-box (I had heard they may be picky about the condition of the cord, etc.). It was $10-12 at Wal-Mart, They said something about trying to get it back once on board, but, quite honestly, it wasn't that big a deal, so I never followed up on that. I probably would have if we found the cabin to be too warm.

So, it appears to be hot-or-miss, probably dependent on port, personnel, or even how long the line is.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is precisely why I carry on a copy of CCL's FAQS page indicating that fans ARE ALLOWED!! Always a good idea to be 'armed' with all pertinent paperwork is my new motto....LOL!

Here is Carnival's rule copied directly from their FAQ page.

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

We are departing out of Galveston and I am curious, Who is making the decision? Security? Does the room steward look at it and make the decision? I am bringing a 4 inch personal fan, mainly for the white noise.

Is there any consistency with their rules?

•  
  • Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

We are departing out of Galveston and I am curious, Who is making the decision? Security? Does the room steward look at it and make the decision? I am bringing a 4 inch personal fan, mainly for the white noise.

I think it is arbitrary unfortunately. Carnival CS says we can bring a full size box fan (and I have that in an email I'll be printing out) but others on here have said they'll confiscate it and give it back at the end of the cruise. My husband likes the noise to sleep but I need the cool air so I'm hoping it won't be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have a white noise app on the phone that we can use as a backup but it would be nice to have the extra air flow.

MandyMooToo,

I tried looking up how to contact Carnival Customer Service but it was all phone numbers. Do you have an email contact for them?

Sorry, just saw this. I emailed specialneeds@carnival.com. They got back to me in a day or two. I am printing off that email too in case they don't want to let me on the ship with my fan!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums