Cruise Lounge Chairs

HvySeezFcstr

On most cruise lines deck lounge chairs are available on a first come first serve basis so no reservations. Some people

will put items down on a chair to try to claim the chair and then go off but that is truly frowned upon. You will see some of

that but I recommend never doing that.

Enjoy your first cruise.

Keith

On embarkation day, scan all the area on the ship that have lounge chair in or out of a shaded area. Then casually ask any deck crew for tips on how to have a good chance of getting a chair on the spot you have identified. But don't ever be a chair hog.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Get up at about 6am.

Take towels, books,etc and place them on loungers by the pool on the main deck, the stern deck and on both sides of the promenade deck.

Make sure that in each place you reserve in both sunny and shady spots.

One person can do this for the whole group.

Then go off & do your own thing - back to bed mebbe, or to breakfast.

From time to time do the rounds to make sure that nobody's occupying any of your loungers.

Try to spend at least some time on each lounger, it's selfish to deprive others of a lounger if you're not going to use it occasionally.

If it's a port day, do be sure to get back to the ship in good time because if someone does steal your lounger you won't know how long they've been there, making it difficult to tell them that you only left it to go to the bathroom.

Do be sure to collect important possessions from the loungers at the end of the day.

Don't worry about collecting towels & such, you can leave them on the loungers - others can surely figure for themselves whether those loungers are still in use.

In jest, of course. :D

.......... or is it???? :confused:

JB :)

I know Carnival and some other cruise lines have the deck steward place a sticker on

chaises /chairs were there is a towel, etc. and no one sitting there. On Carnival the sticker says the time and the time, 40 minutes later, when everything on the chaise/chair will be removed. Anyone else can then take the chaise/chair.

Everything is taken to the towel station, where you get towels on the deck, to get your stuff back.

I think it was NCL where a deck steward saw a couple looking for a chaise. He had them come with him and when he saw chaises with a sticker, he took it off along with towels and gave them the chaises.

We have always found chaises- me in the sun, my husband in the shade. We couldn't care less about being by the pool and if you look, you'll find area with chaises that aren't all taken. This includes the covered deck outside of the atrium along the side of the ship.

Oh, on Carnival each passenger is responsible for their towel. If it is not left in cabin or turned back in, you are charged the cost of the towel!

When I first began cruising, reserving (and paying a fee for doing so) a deck chair or chairs was the practice of the day. (There were also more attentive Deck Stewards then than now, as well.) It was, even then, a "pain" for the cruiser because doing so on embarkation day had to be one of your priorities if you wanted a chair in a great location. Thankfully, those days are past.

However, I am one of many HAL cruisers who take issue with the Company's decision to sell Lanai staterooms on a few of their ships where there are "dedicated" deck chairs for the exclusive use of the guests in those staterooms.

As other posters have said, please do not be a chair hog. It really isn't fair to your fellow cruisers, and I think it is very thoughtless and rude, to attempt to "reserve" a chair(s) when you won't be using them very frequently.

Get up at about 6am.

The following apparently was posted as some kind of poor humor!

Take towels, books,etc and place them on loungers by the pool on the main deck, the stern deck and on both sides of the promenade deck.

Make sure that in each place you reserve in both sunny and shady spots.

One person can do this for the whole group.

Then go off & do your own thing - back to bed mebbe, or to breakfast.

From time to time do the rounds to make sure that nobody's occupying any of your loungers.

Try to spend at least some time on each lounger, it's selfish to deprive others of a lounger if you're not going to use it occasionally.

If it's a port day, do be sure to get back to the ship in good time because if someone does steal your lounger you won't know how long they've been there, making it difficult to tell them that you only left it to go to the bathroom.

Do be sure to collect important possessions from the loungers at the end of the day.

Don't worry about collecting towels & such, you can leave them on the loungers - others can surely figure for themselves whether those loungers are still in use.

In jest, of course. :D

.......... or is it???? :confused:

JB :)

I find most posts on CC to be very helpful...but this post needs to be erased ASAP..

I find most posts on CC to be very helpful...but this post needs to be erased ASAP..

Chair hogging is discussed daily on these boards. The post is obviously a skewer at those who believe it is an acceptable practice. Which judging from all the books and towels working all day on their tans in solitude I see on all my cruises, far too many find it so.

I see you just joined this month. Your skin will get a lot thicker as you become accustomed to this place. :rolleyes:

I know Carnival and some other cruise lines have the deck steward place a sticker on

chaises /chairs were there is a towel, etc. and no one sitting there. On Carnival the sticker says the time and the time, 40 minutes later, when everything on the chaise/chair will be removed. Anyone else can then take the chaise/chair....

Sounds like an effective and fair way to handle it - bathroom breaks and grabbing a bite don't take 40 minutes. But how do those who lose "their" lounger react? Are there vociferous displays of anger at the deck steward?