Post cruise flights

RSLeesburg

Hi everyone.

We are starting to price out return flights after our southbound Alaska cruise in 2018. I know we should not book a flight from Vancouver until after 11am or so, but had a question - most of the return flights have connections, but do we need to go through customs at the first US airport we fly into? I want to ensure I have enough time to clear customs before the second flight if we do.

Thanks.

Actually I would not book a flight until after 12:00 Noon or closer to 1:00 PM.

If you are a USA citizen you will clear USA customs at Vancouver.

Process works like this.

You check in at the airport for your flight.

You drop your checked luggage at the security area.

You get on the airport security line.

Then you go to one of the kiosks to do your on line customs check.

Then you go up to a USA immigrations official with your receipt and finish up customs and then you can make your way to your gate.

Keith

Hi Keith

Thanks. That helps a lot! We were looking at two earlier flights and both had very short layovers, so wanted to make sure that we did not have to clear customs too, as we would never make it to the next flight. But, I think we found a 4:30pm flight that works for us, and it has a long layover, so we should be good all around.

Rob

Just to clarify, you will clear US Customs and Immigration at the Canadian airport before your flight to the US. So, if your connecting flight is in Toronto, that is where you will clear.

OK. That is good to know. We were looking at flights to US from Vancouver, but there are a few that go through Toronto.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OK. That is good to know. We were looking at flights to US from Vancouver, but there are a few that go through Toronto.

We visit Florida fairly often and find that unless you can get on a REALLY early flight (6-7am, too early for anyone disembarking a cruise ship that day) going via Toronto is often the least-annoying option, as non-stop YVR-anywhere in Florida are very, very rare beasts. There are plenty of domestic Canadian flights YVR-YYZ, and the latter has enough folks who cruise/Disney etc. that flights to Orlando, Miami/Ft Lauderdale are also reasonably common so you generally have a choice of how long your layover is while still getting there same day.

It's obviously a longer total air time than going a more direct route, but it often results in having an earlier arrival time in Florida thanks to being able to start your first leg earlier. Taking US preclearance out of the equation at YVR means you can safely book an earlier flight - if you have Global Entry or NEXUS and are able to self-disembark I'd be quite comfortable with a <11am flight even if you did preclear at YVR, there's enough padding to handle any normal problems, so with a domestic first leg even a 10am flight becomes a reasonable risk.

NB: it's not what I recommend (that would be to stay on in Vancouver for a day or twelve, then book a nice early flight without having to fight all your fellow cruisers!) but if you simply must leave for home same day you disembark and hate arriving in the wee small hours it's a viable option.

Edited by martincath
double spacing

We solved the problem by planning on a post Cruise Excursion and then aiming for an evening flight.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Can I ask who you have booked your flights with and are they to London to get an evening flight.

Thanks

use a web site like skyscanner.com to get an idea of schedules and who flies from London-Anc then Vanc - London. Use the multi city option.

Sept 2018 is too far in advance so use current dates, like London to Anc on Thurs Sept 7 and returning Wed Sept 20. The fare will be super high but it will give you an idea of the airlines and their schedules.

If you have Global Entry AND your Nexus card, the pre-clearance in Vancouver is super easy and quick! The Nexus card is key to the fast lane; Global Entry alone will not get you into the fast lane.

Global Entry works just fine for US preclearance when leaving YVR (although you are correct that the physical card is required so you can get into the short queue - the folks controlling access don't have a scanner so they need to see your card to prove you have it). Coming into Canada you need Nexus, GE won't work..

Global Entry works just fine for US preclearance when leaving YVR (although you are correct that the physical card is required so you can get into the short queue - the folks controlling access don't have a scanner so they need to see your card to prove you have it). Coming into Canada you need Nexus, GE won't work..

We just flew to the US from Vancouver after an Alaskan cruise last month (August 2017). The Nexus line controller had a hand-held scanner and without the Nexus card people were sent back to the great long lines.

The Texas card allowed us direct access to the Global Entry scanners and quick access through processing.

Yes, and our Global Entry (not Nexus) card worked fine for us in late July when flying Vancouver to Tucson. Poor guy behind us said he was GE but as he did not have the card with him the official sent to the regular (long) line.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just flew to the US from Vancouver after an Alaskan cruise last month (August 2017). The Nexus line controller had a hand-held scanner and without the Nexus card people were sent back to the great long lines.

The Texas card allowed us direct access to the Global Entry scanners and quick access through processing.

Literally every other person I know with a Trusted Traveler card, personally witnessing GE members being allowed in right before me in the 'Nexus' queue, and simple common sense all confirm that since it is US preclearance GE works just fine - with the card. The folks guarding the end of the 'Nexus' line may have scanners, but those who control access to the Security line still don't - sorry I wasn't clear which short queue we were talking about.

I'm totally onboard with Nexus being the best of the TT programs since it's both the cheapest and the only one with the full suite of benefits, but GE does issue a card - and that card will get you access to US-bound Security and Preclearance fast tracking at all Canadian airports with CBP staff onsite.

All,

I assume what you are relating to is only US based.

Thanks

Global Entry/NEXUS are only relevant for US/Canadian flights, yes - depending on your route home (i.e. if it's a flight via a Canadian or US airport) there might be some relevance, but unless you fly over this side of the pond at least once a year I can't imagine you'd find applying for a Trusted Traveler card worthwhile Lou.