Drink Package on Carnival Cruise

Mrald

Why is it that Carnival forces all folks staying in a room over 21 to purchase the Drink Package. That just does not seem fair. If you are with someone who does not drink or cannot drink, it is not fair that they must buy the package. I won't be doing another Carnival Cruise after the one I have coming up that is already booked.

Why is it that Carnival forces all folks staying in a room over 21 to purchase the Drink Package. That just does not seem fair. If you are with someone who does not drink or cannot drink, it is not fair that they must buy the package. I won't be doing another Carnival Cruise after the one I have coming up that is already booked.
Adios.. thats how they make money lol.... otherwise people would share

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Some of the things I have read is that they are sure people will share. If you don't want to pay for two I suggest you try Princess they don't require everyone to purchase. NCL offers it a lot as a free perk. At least on Carnival and Princess everything is included. On NCL only alcohol, sodas and I think juice are included. If a cruise line wants to make a rule that will give them more income that is the way it is.

Candi

We just got off the Victory and had the package. After watching so many people break rules everywhere, I can understand why they force this one - yes people would share and it would get out of control. Speaking of rule breakers.....I wanted to smack the people who wouldn't put their #@!$ cell phones away at Muster Drill! Geez! But that's another story!

Anyhow, the things I love about the drink package is people forget it is not just alcohol!!!!! We got soft drinks and bottled water too. There was also milkshakes and coffee but we didn't get those.

I also liked the fact that when I got a drink I didn't like, I could ditch it and order another one.

2 of the 4 days we definitely got our moneys worth, a couple days we didn't but that was ok. I had paid everything off (saving 10% off with gift cards) and it was nice not being surprised at the end of the cruise with a big bill.

Think how much money you're saving by not having two of you buy Cheers! A cruise line is going to find ways to make money. This is one of the ways Carnival does. Other cruise lines are simply more expensive, or charge you for different things in different ways. I like Carnival because it offers what I want for the price I want--I have two cruises booked with them. I'll be trying NCL in 2019 for their solo staterooms, their special offers, and the different type of entertainment. Shop around and find the cruise company you enjoy for the price you want to pay and the service you want. It's great we have so many choices.

As others have said, because Carnival is "full" of people that want to cheat the system and break the rules. Watch the threads on here compared to say Princess - my other choice line. It is almost unheard of to see someone ask about smuggling alcohol, sharing a drink package, smoke on a balcony or what they can get away with regarding the dress code. It is a small percentage of cruisers who feel that "they paid for 15 drinks so should be able to give them to whoever" or that "it's my vacation and I am going to what I want" but it's enough that the rest of us suffer. At least it keeps their cruising costs low.

In our case, with coffee and soda DH would probably drink enough to make it worth while but as I drink neither, and my liver seems to think 6 martinis a day is fine for a day or two only, it's not cost effective for us. So we pay as we go.

If you want cheaper drinks sail on Princess. A Long Island or lost Mary is like $6 vs $9 on Carnival.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Fair has got nothing to do with it. It's Carnival's rule, you can decide to follow it or chose another cruise line. I'm sure Carnival would rather have that room filled with two people drinking than just the one of you and they will have no problem filling that room.

OP I can understand where you are coming from, My DW doesn't drink as much as I would so the drink package doesn't make sense for her. She may have 2 drinks a day. There are those who would buy the one drink package if available and share the drinks with their other cheating the system. I am not sure I could drink 15 drinks on a day but between the both of us we would get close. Carnival is looking at the same numbers

• 8 months later...

In my opinion, one of the biggest problems Carnival has with their drink packages is the lack of variability. They have either soda and juice only, or everything under the sun. I wish they had some mid-tier packages like RCL and Celebrity have where you can include non-alcoholic frozen drinks as well. I don't think it would be too taxing on their systems to include other packages.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

In my opinion, one of the biggest problems Carnival has with their drink packages is the lack of variability. They have either soda and juice only, or everything under the sun. I wish they had some mid-tier packages like RCL and Celebrity have where you can include non-alcoholic frozen drinks as well. I don't think it would be too taxing on their systems to include other packages.

Non alcoholic drinks are included with Cheers. We find the program extremely fair, $50 to drink pretty much anything all day. We always 4-5 beers and bottled water in our fridge. If you ask, they will not open the beer.

Non alcoholic drinks are included with Cheers. We find the program extremely fair, $50 to drink pretty much anything all day. We always 4-5 beers and bottled water in our fridge. If you ask, they will not open the beer.

Yeah, the Cheers includes "everything under the sun", which is great if you use it. However, if you're like us and don't really drink alcohol, it's a waste. A smoothie only costs around 5 bucks. I'd have to drink around 10 a day, every day, to break even. RCCL and Celebrity have a $22/day non-alcoholic package that gives everything but the booze. I just wish Carnival did something similar.

I did see an interesting post recently that showed how you can maximize the bubbles with "mixed" juice and soda drinks (eg cranberry & sprite). While you still don't get specialty coffee or frozen mocktails included, it does stretch the options some.

Yeah, the Cheers includes "everything under the sun", which is great if you use it. However, if you're like us and don't really drink alcohol, it's a waste. A smoothie only costs around 5 bucks. I'd have to drink around 10 a day, every day, to break even. RCCL and Celebrity have a $22/day non-alcoholic package that gives everything but the booze. I just wish Carnival did something similar.

Princess did that at only $8.50/day, but in practice there was a lot not covered.