Gin & Tonic

Host Jazzbeau

At home I often drink what I refer to as "And Tonic" which is just tonic and lime without the Gin. I actually prefer the diet tonic for this. I know... It sounds horrible but it works for me. The temp here today will be 107 F so a nice And Tonic may be in the works for me today. (Friday and Saturday are predicted to be 111 F. Uggh...)

As for Scotch... I find it appropriate for any cruise - as long as it's a decent Scotch. The stuff offered for in-room consumption just doesn't make it at all. Give me a nice single-malt that's at least 12 years old. ;)

May I suggest you try the London No 1 blue Gin. It is very nice and the most beautiful pale blue in the glass.

On the ship I prefer Bombay or Hendricks. At home I have been using schweppes tonic. I have tried the sugar free tonic but it tastes bitter to me. My next trip to TW I will have to look for Fever Tree and see how it tastes.

Guest arowe6
Garnish your Hendricks G & T with cucumber, not lime. Very tasty!

Agreed! Although I try to order a cucumber in my Hendricks at Crooners and they look at me like I have 5 heads. After the 3rd or 4th day they usually "get it" though... :)

-Andrew

May I suggest you try the London No 1 blue Gin. It is very nice and the most beautiful pale blue in the glass.

As far as I know it's not available on Princess ships. I believe the only Gins available when sailing are:

Beefeater

Bombay

Sapphire

Hendrick's

House Gin

Tanqueray

Now this is the kind of discussion I am enjoying as opposed to "who to blame for . . . ?" BTW. Avid G&T fans since our friends from Scotland introduced us to Sapphire & Tonic on a P&O cruise, 20 years ago. Thanks Mike and Cynthia. Discovered single malt on a more recent cruise to Scotland with stop in Invergordan (local pub) where each person at the bar insisted on us trying their favorite. Just have to love what things you experience while cruising!!!

As far as I know it's not available on Princess ships. I believe the only Gins available when sailing are:

Beefeater

Bombay

Sapphire

Hendrick's

House Gin

Tanqueray

No it's not on the ships but if you are a Gin fan it's one to look out for at your liquor store.

No it's not on the ships but if you are a Gin fan it's one to look out for at your liquor store.

I will look for it but I am actually much more of a Bourbon fan, a Rye fan, and a Scotch fan. :D

I'm happy the US is finally acknowledging that Rye can be a wonderful whiskey but am boggled that many Canadians use the words "Rye" and "Whiskey" to mean the same thing. I've seen Canadian blended whiskey described as Rye using the term as a generic word for Whiskey. NO, NO, NO!!! Rye is produced predominantly using Rye as the grain. It is not a generic term for whiskey!

I agree great thread.

G & T and Martinis now you are talking. Remember at home put your gin in the freezer particularly for a Tanqueray 10 dry martini with a twist of Lemon,

I agreed diet schweppes tonic is a good idea no sugar, guilt free G&T.

Then Whisky Single malt. love Lark from Tasmania they did have on the spirit of Tasmania.

on princess Bombay and tonic is a good predinner drink up in the skywalkers.

Cheers Don

HI Janetz

A couple of things a found on the web about the two

But really try both and pick the one you enjoy

Cheers Don

Hendricks Gin

Hendrick’s wondrous botanical signature consists of flowers, roots, fruits, and seeds from the world over. They function to complement and set the stage for our delicious duet of infusions: rose petal and cucumber. ( from their web site )

Tangueray No 10

Handcrafted in small batches with fresh citrus fruits.

Since 1830 Tanqueray Gin has been made from the highest quality spirit and finest botanicals picked at the peak of their freshness, to give this spirit its distinctly revered taste. The only Gin in the World Spirits Hall of Fame, it is made from the highest quality spirit and finest botanicals and delivers distinctly citrus flavours of grapefruit, oranges and limes. An authentic Martini is not complete without 'Tanq 10'. ( from Dan Murphy's Web site )

Another vote for Hendrick's and tonic with cucumber. Heck, I'll even make a detour to the HC each each evening and grab a bowl of sliced cucumbers to take down to Crooners :) usually after a day or so, the bar staff get the hint and have them ready for me! ;)

Another vote for Hendrick's and tonic with cucumber. Heck, I'll even make a detour to the HC each each evening and grab a bowl of sliced cucumbers to take down to Crooners :) usually after a day or so, the bar staff get the hint and have them ready for me! ;)

So quick question, do you just add sliced cucumber or do you muddle with lime?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Because of this thread I went to my friendly TW about 3 miles from my home and purchased some Fevertree tonic. There were a few different types available so I bought them all. What a difference this makes in my G&T! Thanks for the heads up on this option. Now I need to try the cucumber slice instead of the lime. Coming from the US southwest however limes are a staple in our diet along with avocados so wonder how that would taste? :rolleyes:

I'm making myself a G&T with Edinburgh Gin for a special Labor Day Holiday treat to myself this evening.

Sigh... Work holidays aren't quite the same once one retires. 3 day weekend? What's that???

(Yes, I do realize there is a "real" reason for the holiday.)

Then you should quote Jimmy Buffet every day "It's five o'clock somewhere" lol

There was a line out of Downton Abbey where the Dowager Countess got a puzzled expression on her face and said, "What's a week end?"

That's kind of how I feel these days. I used to get up early and go to work and look forward to the weekend. Now I often don't even think about what the day of the week is. It really doesn't matter. The only real reason I need to keep track of time these days is to count down to my next cruise. We fly out in 33 days and sail in 34 days. :hearteyes:

There was a line out of Downton Abbey where the Dowager Countess got a puzzled expression on her face and said, "What's a week end?"

That's kind of how I feel these days. I used to get up early and go to work and look forward to the weekend. Now I often don't even think about what the day of the week is. It really doesn't matter. The only real reason I need to keep track of time these days is to count down to my next cruise. We fly out in 33 days and sail in 34 days. :hearteyes:

I like that attitude! We leave in 38 days. Started practicing on the Gin & Tonic with cucumber today.;p

For those wondering about the cucumber with Hendrick's...

Gins contain what are called "botanicals". Generally these are items such as the traditional juniper that flavors gin. In addition to juniper, Hendrick's uses coriander, angelica root, orris root, orange peel, lemon peel, cubeb berries, grains of paradise, caraway seeds, elderflower, yarrow and chamomile. Hendrick's also is infused with Bulgarian rose and cucumber which is why cucumber goes well with the Gin. And now you know....The Rest of the Story

On the ship I prefer Bombay or Hendricks. At home I have been using schweppes tonic. I have tried the sugar free tonic but it tastes bitter to me. My next trip to TW I will have to look for Fever Tree and see how it tastes.

Hate to be a party popper but we enjoy Vodka Soda with limes. Low cal and delicious:)

It is called a "Smith" if you order it it comes with Grey Goose, soda, and 2 limes.

It is catching on as many Bartenders who have attended the EBS (European Bartender School) now know this very popular drink