Mt experience (so far) with Royal's NR Deposits

gizmo42

Hi,

I just wanted to share my experiences(so far) with Royal's NRD.

A little background first. I am takingmy 4 kids and their spouses on a cruise Dec 2018 on HarmonyOTS. Idecided to use a TA because I wanted help with cabin selection. (I'veonly been on 2 cruises in the last 3 years; my friend and I booked directly withthe cruise line – Princess). She suggested 2 OV balconies with 2people each and an Ultra spacious OV/extra large balcony for 5 of us(I believe it is currently called a Family OV Stateroom/Balcony). Iexpressed reservations about the size and having to use the pullmans;she assured me it would be fine She did not tell me about or explainI was booking with a NRD. I booked on July 5 so it was a very newpolicy. I also should have asked more questions. :o

Part 1

After getting helpful opinions here in a separatepost about 5 people in one cabin, I decided to change cabins. At thispoint I now have a different TA; the first person moved out of state andI was assigned to someone in a different office. When she called RC,the rep told her I would have to pay a $250 fee per person to change to different cabins. (My original deposit was $250 per person) IfI only changed myself to another cabin, I would pay the $250 plusanother $250. This was because RC only puts 4 people on a bookingnumber even if there are more than 4 in the cabin. I was included inthe 4 person booking number. They would have to move the 5th personto the 4 person booking number but there would be a $250 fee forthat (even though she stayed in the same cabin). This first RC repinsisted that changing cabins and/or booking numbers was the same as canceling thebookings. Needless to say both TA and I are beyond frustrated at this point!!

Part 2

My TA called RC again today.This is what a different person told her. The rep could “slide”the fifth person to the four-person booking number; then “slide”me to the fifth person's booking number . We will have to switchcabins for the 4-person booking because the current cabin is for 5-6people. TA didn't think (but not sure) we could split the 4 people between 2 cabins;we probably need to decide on a cabin for 4. Maybe worth another call to Royal, maybe a supervisor?? I can get my own cabin (ifmy sister can go, I won't have to pay the single supplement). I willbe talking with my kids this weekend to go over options. Hopefully we will have everything worked out next week.

If I had known about the NRD, I wouldhave asked more questions and looked at all the options when booking. :D

Thanks for letting me vent my frustration; feel free to offer comments or opiniions.

Gail

I think your thread should be titled my experience with a less than stellar TA. I booked on the website and the terms and conditions were spelled out before I booked. I was happy with my rate using the non refundable deposit, it was quite a bit less than the refundable fare. I even got a price drop today, which made it eve better. I am sorry your TA did not offer you all of the available options. I hope this works out for you, I can see how you would be upset not knowing.

My question is why would it be $250pp to change the cabin. RCI only charges $100pp if you cancel, the rest can be used toward a future cruise. Does the TA charge a change fee? I know some do, it all depends on the TA. It can't hurt for the TA to make another call to RCI.

My understanding is the change fee is only if you change the actual cruise - if you stay on the same ship but change cabins there should be no change fee.

Also, as mentioned already, the change fee is supposed to be $100 per person.

Something is fishy.

Thanks for letting me vent my frustration; feel free to offer comments or opiniions.

Ask your TA to have a three way call with RCI - and point out the info posted in this thread. Don't hang up until you are satisfied that you got the correct resolution.

Ask your TA to have a three way call with RCI - and point out the info posted in this thread. Don't hang up until you are satisfied that you got the correct resolution.

You can also have your TA call Royal and give Royal permission to deal directly with you about your booking.

Thanks for your comments andsuggestios.

To DACMOM, no my TA does not charge afee. The first RC representative she talked to quoted the $250 feeeven though all the info I found on my booking agreement from thefirst TA and RCL website only mentioned the $100 fee, and only forchanging ship or dates. Luckily the TA I'm working with now believesin the “if you don't like the first answer, call back and talk tosomeone else” philosophy :D

Thank you MikeBTN and Biker19 forsuggestions on how I could handle a call back to RCI for a resolutionto my booking. Both are very helpful suggestions that I hadn'tthought of.

I also booked with a nonrefundable deposit. If the price drops between now and the time we go on the cruise, do they adjust the price or do we have to continue to watch to see if the price drops and then call . I booked through a travel agent ,prestige. Do I call prestige or royal carribean.

Thanks!

I was told by a supervisor at C&A that only three things trigger the forfeiture of the $100pp NRD.

1) Change Ships

2) Change Dates

3) Cancel Cruise

You can also receive any price reduction on your cabin category with a simple phone call.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I also booked with a nonrefundable deposit. If the price drops between now and the time we go on the cruise, do they adjust the price or do we have to continue to watch to see if the price drops and then call . I booked through a travel agent ,prestige. Do I call prestige or royal carribean.

Thanks!

If you have made your booking with a TA you have to deal with them, you cannot call Royal directly. As for price drops, according to a thread I found by searching price drops are honored with no fee:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2537918

Hi,

It has been over a week since I first posted about my experience booking cabins with a NF deposit.

Here is my experience, part 2 (and final):

After my TA talked to 3 different RCCL reps, we finally got answers that made sense. Instead of five of us in a family cabin we now have two couples, each in their own OV balcony; since that left me by myself I talked my two sisters into coming. We were able to add them to a booking with me and we decided to treat ourselves to a Grand Suite (definitely a once in a life time opportunity for me!). Taking Biker19's advise, the TA, RCL rep and I did a three way phone call today and were able to make all the changes I wanted.

Thank you to everyone who responded to my original post. I really appreciated your support and helpful advise.

I can't wait for us to start digging into the next phase of planning; shows, dining, activities, excursions :D:D

Gail

Thanks!

You are new, and probably didn't realize it, but it is against the rules, here, to mention specific TAs. FYI

Hi,

It has been over a week since I first posted about my experience booking cabins with a NF deposit.

Here is my experience, part 2 (and final):

After my TA talked to 3 different RCCL reps, we finally got answers that made sense. Instead of five of us in a family cabin we now have two couples, each in their own OV balcony; since that left me by myself I talked my two sisters into coming. We were able to add them to a booking with me and we decided to treat ourselves to a Grand Suite (definitely a once in a life time opportunity for me!). Taking Biker19's advise, the TA, RCL rep and I did a three way phone call today and were able to make all the changes I wanted.

Thank you to everyone who responded to my original post. I really appreciated your support and helpful advise.

I can't wait for us to start digging into the next phase of planning; shows, dining, activities, excursions :D:D

Gail

I'd also advise the TA that RCI has an excellent TA class for free that she should take. It explains everything in detail.

My understanding is the change fee is only if you change the actual cruise - if you stay on the same ship but change cabins there should be no change fee.

Also, as mentioned already, the change fee is supposed to be $100 per person.

Something is fishy.

At least for suites, this is the case. $100 forfeit if you change ships or sailing dates, no charge for changes on the same ship/same date.

Remainder of deposit is a credit towards future bookings. 1 year limit, IIRC.