Carnival says that I am a fraudster, and refuses to let me pay for my cruise????

dsykes2

Where did she state she doesn't have a $2000 limit on her credit card? I believe she stated she does not want a high balance on her card. :rolleyes:

Which is a very prudent thing to do to limit fraud or theft risk on cc. My cc constantly bugs me to up my cc limit but I always say no. Don't need the extra spending limit or the worry if my card is stolen or lost.

I am actually surprised that any of these gift cards are valid after re-selling.

It seems there would be much less chance of fraud if they were only usable by the original purchaser.

And how would they monitor that? People buy gift cards all the time at stores and such as gifts. Would kind of defeat the purpose I suppose if they were only redeemable by the original purchaser.

I am actually surprised that any of these gift cards are valid after re-selling.

It seems there would be much less chance of fraud if they were only usable by the original purchaser.

They aren't:

The stuff about resellers and guarantees was just added to Carnivals site recently after this huge fraud ring was detected. This was NOT all on the site previously.

That statement doesn't exclude gift giving. It only says it can't be resold.

Sorry tiger I missed the re-sell in the original statement. Im in a bit of a fit today trying to decide about rebooking and dealing with all this. My bad!

I wonder if you bought a gift card from a legitimate seller(AARP, grocery store, etc) for a family member or close friend, used your own money, gave it to them in person, and they paid you back with a legitimate source of money, would that be banned? Neither of you would be using a stolen card.

The stuff about resellers and guarantees was just added to Carnivals site recently after this huge fraud ring was detected. This was NOT all on the site previously.
As I think you realized after you posted this, the part of reselling the cards was there. This is from January 25, 2013, courtesy of web.archive.org:

Gift Cards have no value until activated at time of purchase, and Gift Cards will not be activated until payment is verified. Gift Cards will be activated when delivered, and will be active upon receipt by the customer. Gift Cards cannot be reloaded, meaning funds may not be added to Gift Cards after activation. Once activated, Gift Cards may not be resold; resale or attempted resale is grounds for seizure and cancellation of the Gift Card without compensation.

I see the same prohibitions there in the February 15, 2014 archive of the page, the February 16, 2015 archive of the page, and the January 9, 2016 archive of the page.

Sorry tiger I missed the re-sell in the original statement. Im in a bit of a fit today trying to decide about rebooking and dealing with all this. My bad!
Either way, hopefully it puts an end to the problems. Edited by bUU

Have any of you ever used Retailmenot . com to find discount coupon codes, etc? Well one of the companies involved in this issue, is actually part of retailmenot. For the most part, they have a great reputation, and people wouldn't question getting a deal through them.

Wow! I love Retailmenot and use them often. I would not have thought twice about using a company owned by them.

Things happen. But it's strange to not want to email your CC info. Everyone does that from the website to setup your sea pass card, account. Im sure the same problem would of occur with both NCL or RCCL. The old adage of " if seems too good, something in not right" applies even more in the digital age.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Wow! I love Retailmenot and use them often. I would not have thought twice about using a company owned by them.

I am second guessing everything now, and really worried about using them again. I used to go to Retailmenot everytime I bought something on line to look for a deal.

That's strange, I could have sworn I read it when I booked in April because I was concerned about receiving gift cards as gifts from my parents.

That's strange, I could have sworn I read it when I booked in April because I was concerned about receiving gift cards as gifts from my parents.

There should never be an issue receiving gift cards as gifts...that is their purpose, they are GIFT cards. The issue is purchasing them from third party websites (that are not legit or that buy them at reduced prices from others to resale) or repurchasing them from an individual.

Just a quick point of fact from a nerd:

A fax machine has no protocol for encryption and are absolutely not secure. Remember that annoying sound you heard when your dialup was handshaking or you picked up the phone when someone was online? All you'd have to do is capture that sound from a fax and you'd have the fax for yourself.

Emails can (and should) be automatically encrypted and are far, far more secure.

Not entirely correct. You can get secure faxes and they are far safer than a general email. Sending an email through a non secure route (the vast majority of email routes are non-secure) is the equivilant of sending a postcard in the mail. There are so many points it can be stopped and read that it is not safe to use. I would never send my card details in an email.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/can-email-ever-be-secure/

https://www.scrypt.com/blog/why-fax-is-more-secure-than-email/

I was wondering, if you had gift certificates and you weren't sure of their validity, could you call Carnival and have them checked before using them on your account? Most gift cards have a number on back where you can call and check the balance.

(No, I don't have any, and I'm not planning to get any. I'm just curious.)

I was wondering, if you had gift certificates and you weren't sure of their validity, could you call Carnival and have them checked before using them on your account? Most gift cards have a number on back where you can call and check the balance.

https://www.carnivalgiftcards.com/balanceinquiry.aspx

There is no phone number on the back of the cards from AARP.

As I think you realized after you posted this, the part of reselling the cards was there. This is from January 25, 2013, courtesy of web.archive.org:I see the same prohibitions there in the February 15, 2014 archive of the page, the February 16, 2015 archive of the page, and the January 9, 2016 archive of the page.

Either way, hopefully it puts an end to the problems.

I have no idea exactly what was there in previous years. What Im talking about it what I linked in a previous post that was new. Mentioning specific sites and sellers. This is new to me. Ill copy it in bold from the site. It also has come on all corespondence I have gotten from Carnival starting in the second email about this fiasco.

Carnival Cruise Lines is not responsible for any Gift Cards bought or sold through Craigslist.com, giftcardZen.com or any website facilitating aftermarket sales of pre-gifted or pre-owned items.

Edited by grumplin

Im going to say yes you could check but it might not matter depending on where they came from. My giftcards had the funds on them and they went through fine. It was weeks later carnival notified me they were part of a huge fraud ring and were taken off my account.

Was thinking this was a crazy way to pay for a cruise. Did a little research and I guess its not. Found you can get 10% off legitimate CCL cards from AARP, Allstate, Verizon and more. Lol, can get 500.00 to 1000.00 on one card. Was thinking this guy was buying lot's of 25.00 or 50.00 cards.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

This sounds like a total nightmare! I'm so sorry this has happened to you! I know for a fact you can call 5 different representatives and get 5 different answers on a single question, they just are not properly trained or if they are, they ignore the training and just wing it. I hope you're able to get it straightened out so you can enjoy your cruise.

With that being said, my motto is "buying on the cheap sometimes comes out more expensive".

Edited by mftinvermont

I have no idea exactly what was there in previous years.
What I pointed out was that they have been saying that reselling is prohibited consistently for four years. It's nice that they're being redundant now, saying that reselling is prohibited and also saying that reselling is prohibited on certain sites, but that seems like overkill to me. I guess it doesn't hurt.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.