Does Princess Overbook Cruises?

tourismtessy

I think people might be more concerned with is being bumped from a particular cruise rather that the entire cruise being bumped for a charter, etc as was stated in the article you referenced. Just MHO.....:):):)

Bob

The article references both

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

why wouldnt there be GTY every time?

i'm more used to NCL princing where they lure you in with the GTY price. when i see advertised rates now, i know to add 200 to be able to choose my own cabin. also on Royal GTY has been on every ship i've priced out.

The GTY price on Princess is not at a special, lower rate like for NCL. It is the same price for that type and level of cabin as if you booked a specific cabin instead of a GTY.

I have found that until a cruise is well along in being booked, a GTY choice will not always show up as an option,

Have read that statistic numerous times on Cruise Critic. From posters more reliable than yours truly.

Its the kind of useless trivia that sticks in my brain no matter how much I wish to shed that talent.

So since it was posted and read on the internet, it must be true? I assume you are saying there is no authoritative source for the statement (which is fine). I also was curious as to where the supposed fact came from. Still curious :)

So since it was posted and read on the internet, it must be true? I assume you are saying there is no authoritative source for the statement (which is fine). I also was curious as to where the supposed fact came from. Still curious :)

Thanks......

I have only seen that comment from one poster in particular over and over again as well.

I have to call bs because of the source and quite frankly many other comments by him, but that's just me and my opinion. :)

I always thought it was no more than seven times myself. ;p

Just curious. What is so special about this cruise that it is sold out so far in advance?

It's a new Northern Coastal itinerary. 7 days RT out of SF. Astoria, Seattle, Vancouver and Victoria.

Princess has added an additional cruise on 10-7-2018. The price for our exact cabin is $750pp more than we paid. :loudcry: Both cruise prices included the Sip n Sail.

Cheers, Denise

The GTY price on Princess is not at a special, lower rate like for NCL. It is the same price for that type and level of cabin as if you booked a specific cabin instead of a GTY.

I have found that until a cruise is well along in being booked, a GTY choice will not always show up as an option,

if there is no financial incentive for GTY, why would anyone want that?

and for the record GTY mini just shows up on my oct cruise

and for the record GTY mini just shows up on my oct cruise

Because the GTY is priced at the lowest category of cabin in that type (e.g. a "BG", for example) and when an actual cabin is assigned, the customer may get lucky and be assigned a "BF", "BE',,, and so forth up to a "BA", perhaps. Or jackpot to some thing even better.

So you might end up with a more expensive cabin in potentially a better location (location is always a personal choice).

Or, you might just get the "BF" you are GUARANTEED. I did this on a B2B not long ago and on one leg we got up to an "A" and on the other, we got what we booked.

So you need to be happy with the low one you book.

We have booked GTY cabins more than 15 times with Princess. We are always given a cabin better than we paid for, even if it is only 5 days from sailing when it is assigned.

Some itineraries do sell out quickly. We booked our cruise around Japan more than a year in advance, and it was sold out within a few months. Somebody did get a deal because I had emergency surgery 9 days before the cruise. :( Thank God we bought trip insurance!

Because the category they want to book (for example a BA balcony) has no cabins left to pick from and only a GTY is available.

Note that this is would be a GTY at the BA price, not at the lowest possible balcony level. Of course you could get a GTY at the lowest balcony level price, but then there is only a slim chance of getting the BA cabin they really wanted.