Hurricane Irma - Anthem of the Seas - Bermuda Sept. 9, 2017 sailing

Does anyone have any ideas on what RCCL might possibly do if Hurricane Irma affects the Sept 9, 2017 Anthem of the Seas 5 day sailing when Bermuda is the only port of call? We've experienced port changes due to weather problems in the Caribbean, but not when there is just one port. I haven't bothered to call RCCL since it's still speculative and I'm sure they're busy with LOS in Galveston.

What they will do really depends on where the storm is and where it is predicted to go. Last year, we did the 5 night Anthem to Bermuda over Labor Day weekend. There was a storm that had been a hurricane, was a tropical storm turning into a depression. It was supposed to hug the coast. When we left Bayonne, we were told we were headed due east out to sea to go across the top of the storm and would turn south after we cleared the storm. Seas were a little rough but got much worse when the storm decided to jog at us as we turned south. It was very, very rough for about a day. We ended up getting into Bermuda a little late due to the route we took and the storm.

It is really too early to tell what they will do for your sailing. They could head to Canada if the storm isn't headed that way, as it was supposed to for our sailing. You could try to outrun it and lose, like we did.

Way too early to tell.

Well this stinks because we are also on this sailing but I guess it is what it is,but I hope they refund for all the prepaid excursions that were made with them if we can't get to Bermuda

Any port changes RC makes they will refund any excursions in that port that you purchased through them. They had this with the Allure sailing this weekend that is now a Western vs Eastern sailing due to the impending storm. Most reputable non-cruise line excursions will also usually refund any payments you may have made if you don't make the port.

What they will do really depends on where the storm is and where it is predicted to go. Last year, we did the 5 night Anthem to Bermuda over Labor Day weekend. There was a storm that had been a hurricane, was a tropical storm turning into a depression. It was supposed to hug the coast. When we left Bayonne, we were told we were headed due east out to sea to go across the top of the storm and would turn south after we cleared the storm. Seas were a little rough but got much worse when the storm decided to jog at us as we turned south. It was very, very rough for about a day. We ended up getting into Bermuda a little late due to the route we took and the storm.

It is really too early to tell what they will do for your sailing. They could head to Canada if the storm isn't headed that way, as it was supposed to for our sailing. You could try to outrun it and lose, like we did.

Way too early to tell.

I was on that cruise last year too. It was pretty rough late morning and afternoon. By dinner it was much better, and later the Music Hall was packed with everyone dancing. During the afternoon they gave us free movies for anyone that wanted to stay in their cabin. (We were sitting in the front of the Solarium watching the waves) The rest of the cruise was fine.

Let's hope RCI gives a more warning if they make any changes to her departure (if IRMA becomes relevant). For hurricane Harvey, RCI gave less than a days notice when they cancelled the August 27th sailing of the Liberty of the Seas from Galveston.

I'm on this sailing too. Sometimes they don't have much advanced notice as to which way to go. Weather is unpredictable.....I was on a sailing coming back from Bermuda where we tried to outrun a hurricane, what a rocky ride! We drive to the port so I'll be sure to pack pants and sweatshirts just in case.(yn):ship:;)

If the storm comes up the coast, I don't know how we will be able to go to Canada. We would be sailing with the storm up the coast.

My guess is that depending on where it is located at the time we are sailing, we will either hug the coast till we pass it, or to straight east and then down to Bermuda.

If that's not possible, we may be enjoying a cruise up the Hudson.:eek::confused::rolleyes:

It's way too early for anyone to know what is going to happen. I'll start worrying on Wednesday if it looks like it's heading up the coast. I'm on the beach at the Jersey Shore so I hope it goes way out to sea.

We’re also on the beach at the Jersey Shore and have watched Anthem sail past many times! We’re watching too, and hopefully the storm will go somewhere that isn’t here.

We could possibly be re-routed to Canada. I’ve done a couple of five-night cruises to Canada and it’s a nice trip. Like others, we’re doing this cruise B2B with the Canada one, so it might give us a chance to see a few more things in Canada.

We’re not too concerned about the ports, but hope for everyone else’s sake that we aren’t re-routed.

We’re also on the beach at the Jersey Shore and have watched Anthem sail past many times! We’re watching too, and hopefully the storm will go somewhere that isn’t here.

We could possibly be re-routed to Canada. I’ve done a couple of five-night cruises to Canada and it’s a nice trip. Like others, we’re doing this cruise B2B with the Canada one, so it might give us a chance to see a few more things in Canada.

We’re not too concerned about the ports, but hope for everyone else’s sake that we aren’t re-routed.

You're right down the beach, not far from me. I'm in Avon.

We are on this cruise also. Two years ago we were on Liberty for a 5 day trip to Bermuda. A hurricane hit Bermuda so we had a change in itinerary. We went to Canada -- one stop at St. John's -- instead. The notification came around 7 pm the night before. There really was nothing Royal could do -- it would have been dangerous to attempt Bermuda. But some people complained regardless.

The day in St. John's was lovely -- much better than Bermuda weather. I know folks will be disappointed if we don't make it to Bermuda. But . . . a change in itinerary is always a possibility and much more likely during hurricane season. There is nothing anyone can do if the weather does not cooperate. I know my family will enjoy the cruise no matter where we go. Katherine

Unfortunately, a 5 night cruise doesn't really leave you many options in meeting that distant foreign port requirement.

Possibly this was a typo but there is no DISTANT foreign port requirement here. That requirement comes up when a ship sails from one US port to another. Anthem is sailing from Bayonne and back to Bayonne. For a round trip any foreign port will do and it's a good thing here. From Bayonne the nearest distant port is Greenland; the nearest (but not distant) port would be Bermuda, St. John, or Halifax.

Roy

Also on this sailing....hopefully, looks like this storm will be further south as we travel....I was thinking that we would head East then down.....have taken 5 cruises from this port in September to Bermuda....normally travel the last week in the month, but took a chance with this date....had picture perfect weather sailing each time....this time, who knows?