Evening Chic -- Practical Advice

ggo85

We are new to Celebrity. I've read the description of "Evening Chic" -- everything from nice jeans to a tux!

We are doing a Med cruise. What I'd like to know is what most people wear. In particular, will most men wear jackets with open collar, jackets and ties, suits, or collared dress shirt and slacks?

Thanks.

You'll get many answers, some different. I never wear a suit, tux, or jacket on chic night. Dress slacks and a dress shirt, never had a problem. There will be those in a tux, a suit, and a sport coat. Whatever you wear you will be okay.:)

Your question was specifically what most men will wear. The answer is that from what I have seen most men will wear either a suit with shirt and tie, or a sport coat with open collar. My estimation is that 75%+ of the men will wear one of those with the latter more common. As was said, you will see a wide variety of outfits from golf shirts and slacks to tuxedos.

In my opinion people will dress a little more formal for the european cruises (especially spring or fall sailing) than say a caribbean cruise. We just came back from a 13 night Baltic cruise on the Eclipse and there were a fair amount of "formal" attired people during the dinner hour(s). That said no one was out of place with an open shirt and jacket. My advice is to wear what "you" are comfortable in. IN the past I always wore formal attire...now its primarily an open collar shirt with a white dinner jacket. In all honesty, most men (should) enjoy to complement their wife or significant other in how they like to dress. I never feel out of place!

DH isn't a dress-up kind of a guy, so nice slacks and a buttoned shirt works for him.

As Husky61 said, you will see all sorts. Wear what you feel comfortable with and enjoy your cruise (just don't wear shorts, a sleeveless shirt or flip flops and you'll be fine!!!)

Too many variables....will most men be European or American or other? Will most be millennials or retirees? Will most be combining with land trips or flying straight home?

Just follow the dress code and don't be concerned. Be as dressy as you want but don't be underdressed (beachwear, shorts, flip flops,ball caps).

I've been reading these dress code threads for over 20 years and it is strongly my belief that people see what they want to see. If they dress up, they will see most people on the ship dressed up, if they don't believe in dressing up, that is also what they will see. With that being said, the most practical advice is that it is hard to figure out percentages of what people wear. Itinerary will also determine what people wear. Be yourself and don't worry what anyone else says or does. The beauty of the Celebrity dress code is that it is smart casual and above for most nights and evening chic and above for the couple of evening chic nights. Also, keep in mind that this applies only to the Main Dining room, nowhere else on the ship including all the specialty restaurants, Blu and Luminae.

My husband refuses to wear a suit on a cruise. I rented a tux once and that was fun, but here forward no more :) He must dress up for work and said this is vacation, no way. Wear what makes you comfortable. You will find everything goes.

I've been reading these dress code threads for over 20 years and it is strongly my belief that people see what they want to see. If they dress up, they will see most people on the ship dressed up, if they don't believe in dressing up, that is also what they will see.

I agree with you 100%!!

We've been on 2 Celebrity cruises this year (Mediterranean and Alaska), and most men dressed casually on evening chic nights. I would say the majority wore a dress shirt and slacks or dark denim designer jeans. Some wore ties or bowties, but this was the minority in my opinion. I rarely saw a suit or tuxedo. Hope this helps.

On the "chic" nights DH wears black slacks, a black v neck tee & a sports coat (blazer) I wear a very simple little black dress with flat black sandals or black leggings with a silky type tunic & black boots... the majority seemed to be dressed similar to us, with a few men in tuxes or suits, I don't think I saw a single long gown on our last Med cruise, but there were a few women in maxi dresses.

We were on Equinox three weeks ago and we thought the second Chic Night was going to be the night with Lobster,(Thursday). I didn't even look to see what the suggested dress was for Wednesday but it turned out to be Chic Night. It didn't seem to be any different than any of the other nights - all nights were the same as far as dress in the MDR.

I've been reading these dress code threads for over 20 years and it is strongly my belief that people see what they want to see. If they dress up, they will see most people on the ship dressed up, if they don't believe in dressing up, that is also what they will see. With that being said, the most practical advice is that it is hard to figure out percentages of what people wear. Itinerary will also determine what people wear. Be yourself and don't worry what anyone else says or does. The beauty of the Celebrity dress code is that it is smart casual and above for most nights and evening chic and above for the couple of evening chic nights. Also, keep in mind that this applies only to the Main Dining room, nowhere else on the ship including all the specialty restaurants, Blu and Luminae.

are you saying that in the specialty restaurants you do NOT have to dress evening chic and can be dressed smart casual every night?

are you saying that in the specialty restaurants you do NOT have to dress evening chic and can be dressed smart casual every night?

Correct

Although there is no enforced "chic" compliance so smart casual works fine in the MDR too.

On Med/Europe cruises most passengers do tend to dress up on Evening Chic nights. My DH usually wears a DJ or a Suit but others can be seen wearing a smart Jacket /Trousers

Glad to read this. We'll be on Reflection in July 2018, around the Med and we will dress as you do.

Hoping the Western Caribbean/NOLA cruise is a lot less formal...we both spent a lifetime in business attire and now travel light & comfortable. We will be in a suite so if their special dining room is more formal we will eat in the Lido on the 2 "dressy" nights or on our balcony.

Hoping the Western Caribbean/NOLA cruise is a lot less formal...we both spent a lifetime in business attire and now travel light & comfortable. We will be in a suite so if their special dining room is more formal we will eat in the Lido on the 2 "dressy" nights or on our balcony.

It is not, the dress code for Luminae is smart casual every night. Evening Chic does not apply in this restaurant.

It is not, the dress code for Luminae is smart casual every night. Evening Chic does not apply in this restaurant.

Strange.. I would have thought it was the other way around...but I am a happy camper !