Crown Princess - Dining Room dress code questions

aaklang

Hello,

We will be on the Crown Princess 8-night, Eastern Caribbean Explorer cruise this Christmas. I have never cruised with Princess before. Please let me know what the dress code is like - are there traditional formal nights and, if so, do you know which nights or how many? How strict are they with the dress code in general? My last cruise (Disney) had many people in jeans and casual clothes. I don't enjoy dressing up, but don't want to disrespect the traditions/expectations in the dining room either.

Any info you can provide on dressing for dinner in the main dining room would be truly appreciated. Thank you!

LOTS of threads on the Princess board discussing dress code.

In general, you're supposed to dress formal or at least semi-formal.

Formal would include: tux for the guys (some wear dress uniforms, even kilts). Women would wear anything from long, formal gowns to cocktail dresses to sparkly tops with pants.

You'll see some, but by no means a majority, who ignore the dress code even on regular nights.

If you don't want to dress up, you can go to a specialty restaurant on formal nights. The dress code is the same every night: smart casual.

You'll have 2 formal nights. One of your formal nights will very likely be Christmas.

They have slowly become less and less strict. Many people still do dress up but a neat shirt and slacks have become acceptable - no jeans or shorts any night in main dinning rooms.

The formal nights are never the first or last night. There should be 2 on your cruise. One an early sea day such as the 2nd or 3rd day, and the other a late sea day such as the 5th or 6th day.

In rare cases when sea days don't fit into the above schedule, then they have it on a day with an early port departure.

For your 8 day cruise there will be 2 "formal" nights. The rest of the nights jeans and a shirt with collar will be acceptable. You can wear about anything on your feet including flip flops. The only thing they do not allow is shorts or swimsuits/coverups. On "formal" nights one can wear formal (tux/long dresses) to suits/cocktail dresses to dress shirt and pants or for females a pants suit of some kind. Princess has been becoming more and more lax with "formal" night. The only thing they will not permit (yet!) is shorts or jeans. I am starting to see men on "formal" night with a short sleeved Hawaii type shirt and dockers and on women a dark top with sparkles, a pair of pants and decorated flip flops.

So we have another dress code inquiry - get out the popcorn and settle back for the fun

They have slowly become less and less strict. Many people still do dress up but a neat shirt and slacks have become acceptable - no jeans or shorts any night in main dinning rooms.

The formal nights are never the first or last night. There should be 2 on your cruise. One an early sea day such as the 2nd or 3rd day, and the other a late sea day such as the 5th or 6th day.

In rare cases when sea days don't fit into the above schedule, then they have it on a day with an early port departure.

Jeans are allowed on non-formal nights and have been for many years now.

Formal nights are just a marketing tool by the lines to sell pictures.

No need to dress up as it's only a recommendation - and fewer and fewer want to lug a tux on vacation (let alone wear one in the Caribbean). Those who dress formally are now in the minority in many cruises.

Jeans are fine on non formal nights.

As much as some folks would like to believe, true formal dressing is not a "requirement" by any means on formal nights. A pair of dress pants with with a short sleeve dress shirt is still acceptable for the guys and a pair of slacks & fancy top are fine for the women.

They've become very relaxed in the last few years.

Jeans with even a T shirt will be OK on other nights-

BUT not the shorts. :D

I would suggest to the OP that he check out the Princess website. All sort of info there, including how many formal nights on each cruise, what the dress codes are, but so much more.

I always check out the website before each cruise even if I'm repeating a ship.

To me, I think of what I would wear to a nice restaurant for smart casual nights or to a fancy party for formal nights. Hubby wears his tropical shirts to smart casual and dress shirts with a tie (he'll wear his jacket going in...since he doesn't have a dark suit, he brings his tweedish one).

If we don't feel like dressing up, we don't mind eating in the Horizon Court. As someone said, the dress code for the specialty restaurants is smart casual, but many dress up if they're celebrating a special occasion.

I would suggest to the OP that he check out the Princess website. All sort of info there' date=' including how many formal nights on each cruise, what the dress codes are, but so much more.

I always check out the website before each cruise even if I'm repeating a ship.

To me, I think of what I would wear to a nice restaurant for smart casual nights or to a fancy party for formal nights. Hubby wears his tropical shirts to smart casual and dress shirts with a tie (he'll wear his jacket going in...since he doesn't have a dark suit, he brings his tweedish one).

If we don't feel like dressing up, we don't mind eating in the Horizon Court. As someone said, the dress code for the specialty restaurants is smart casual, but many dress up if they're celebrating a special occasion.[/quote']

Thanks - I looked on the site before posting but coulnd't find specific info. I guess I need to dig deeper. I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks - I looked on the site before posting but coulnd't find specific info. I guess I need to dig deeper. I appreciate the feedback.

This tends to be a heated topic for many on cc. So, please don't get offended by some comments that might come your way.

Yes, Princess has a policy, which is not always adhered to, or enforced.

From the Princess website:

What should I wear?

Casual sportswear, including shorts, lightweight pants and jogging suits, is the order of the day both at sea and ashore in hotter climates. We recommend you bring a sweater, a jacket or an all-weather coat for cool evenings, and for shore excursions, depending on your destination. You'll also want comfortable shoes for strolling on deck.

For evening dining, keep with what you would wear to a nice restaurant at home: skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies, pants and open-neck shirts for men. Cruises five days or longer include at least one formal dining night: evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies and tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits for men.

Smart Casual

Guest attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies
  • Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

The truth is is if you wear something nice, more times than not you will be fine. I've seen men get away with Dockers on formal night. I've also seen people get turned away from the MDR because of what they are wearing. The enforcement of the policy is very inconsistent, even on the same cruise, in the same dining room, on the same night. If you do not want to dress up, the buffet and specialty dining allow smart casual attire for dinner. Not every man wears a jacket and not all women dress too formally.

If dressing up is not your thing, then don't worry, you can dine in another venue if you get turned away.Enjoy your cruise

If you do not want to dress up, the buffet and specialty dining allow smart casual attire for dinner. Not every man wears a jacket and not all women dress too formally.

If dressing up is not your thing, then don't worry, you can dine in another venue if you get turned away.Enjoy your cruise

This part is true but Princess still allows very casual dress in the dining room on formal night for those that really don't like dressing up.

Per their website they post "For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse."

So you can see that they are very liberal in their dress code while still allowing people to enjoy the better food selections of the DR on formal night.

• 4 weeks later...

Personally, we love dressing up on the formal nights. We have a party of 12 on the 9-17 Dec Eastern Caribbean, which has 2 formal nights. The guys will be wearing different combinations of tuxedos. The ladies will be in gorgeous gowns. On the second night, many of us guys will be wearing tails. The other nights will be Kaki pants and a polo or button up. Since it's close to Christmas (the Crown will be decorated for the Holidays), I'll probably wear a colorful dress shirt with a Christmas tie when we go to Sabatini's. :D

For us we prefer to keep it simple. Nice jeans or docker slacks and a casual elegant shirt for most nights. Formal nights we do dress slacks and a dress shirt. in colder climates (Like Alaska) I may add a sports jacket.

I forgot my sports jacket but had a nice shirt and no tie and I was not refused entry. At least wear a tieok

Hello,

We will be on the Crown Princess 8-night, Eastern Caribbean Explorer cruise this Christmas. I have never cruised with Princess before. Please let me know what the dress code is like - are there traditional formal nights and, if so, do you know which nights or how many? How strict are they with the dress code in general? My last cruise (Disney) had many people in jeans and casual clothes. I don't enjoy dressing up, but don't want to disrespect the traditions/expectations in the dining room either.

Any info you can provide on dressing for dinner in the main dining room would be truly appreciated. Thank you!

Formal nights are just a marketing tool by the lines to sell pictures.

No need to dress up as it's only a recommendation - and fewer and fewer want to lug a tux on vacation (let alone wear one in the Caribbean). Those who dress formally are now in the minority in many cruises.

Jeans are fine on non formal nights.

Right on.....they really should be called "Photo Nights" instead of "Formal Nights"....because that is all that ever happens!! giphy.gif.....now back to beating this Princess topic to death forever on CC .........:eek::rolleyes::cool:

Right on.....they really should be called "Photo Nights" instead of "Formal Nights"....because that is all that ever happens!! giphy.gif.....now back to beating this Princess topic to death forever on CC .........:eek::rolleyes::cool:

This will probably always be one of the most ask questions. Never Fear just remember one thing. This is your vacation that, even with a good deal, was not cheap. So wear what you want and enjoy yourself. If some snob does not like the way you are dressed that is their problem to deal with not yours. Have a great trip!