Just For Fun :)

Super-Luke88

Just a fun post to hear all about everyones experiences

Whats your best and worst personal experiences during your cruise adventures? :D

Sadly, well, maybe not so "sadly", I can't pick a "best" as I've really enjoyed them all. And haven't had a "worst" yet.

Very first cruise aboard Carnival Carnivale out of Orlando in 1992. Super rough seas (they said 40 foot but I just remember all the sick passengers and standing on top watching the waves crashing over the bow). Then the return flight to Houston had to conduct an emergency landing without steering or brakes due to a hydrolic system failure. Landed on the emergency runway with fire trucks, ambulances and lots of foam. Sat on the end of that runway for an hour while they hosed off all the foam and brought a piece of heavy equipment out to tow us to the terminal. 2 1/2 hours later we got off the plane. Oh, and it's very hot in Houston in September so sitting on the plane for 3+ hours without air conditioning was less than fun. And the pungent odor of barf inside the cabin was memorable as well. It took several years to talk me into another cruise that required a flight, as they all did before the Galveston and Houston terminals.

Too many good experiences to list! Probably the cruise we took with 7 grandchildren was the most fun and the Med cruise had the most beautiful/interesting ports. The Amalfi coast--Santorini--Ephesus, etc.

Haven't had any really bad experiences on cruises, knock on wood! Getting to the cruise port is the worst part, especially if flying overseas or other long flights, like the once to Buenos Aires coming up.

I suppose the best must have been our first cruise - Iceland and Norway on QEII. We have been in better cabins on prettier ships, but I don't think anything will beat the excitement of our first time.

The worst thing for me is seasickness. This came as something of a surprise the first time it happened and really made me miserable :( Fortunately, the scop patch suits me and enables me to continue enjoying my cruises :)

No bad experiences, but once we overnighted in a filthy, smelly port in Egypt, and the ship filled with flies...and in Casablanca, where the crew always cover the carpets near the entrance, and in the lifts, we had to walk through what looked like thick oil on the dock... it turned out to be a spillage of black molasses.

I think the best was the first time we sailed into Venice- early morning, with the sun just rising, and no crowds on shore. That's imprinted on my mind, and is the picture I think of when Venice is mentioned.

Too many bests to pick from. Worst was royal took us off at 6.30am from the ship on disembarkation for an included flight and deposited us at the airport. They routed us through amsterdam on a 5 hour for what is a direct 2 hour flight. Check in didn't open until 6pm and nowhere to sit. Long story short we spent the night on the floor in Amsterdam airport after the connection was cancelled and we got home 36 hours after leaving the ship. Lesson learnt, we never take a flight with the cruise line to Europe that isnt direct.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Too many bests to pick from. Worst was royal took us off at 6.30am from the ship on disembarkation for an included flight and deposited us at the airport. They routed us through amsterdam on a 5 hour for what is a direct 2 hour flight. Check in didn't open until 6pm and nowhere to sit. Long story short we spent the night on the floor in Amsterdam airport after the connection was cancelled and we got home 36 hours after leaving the ship. Lesson learnt, we never take a flight with the cruise line to Europe that isnt direct.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh, my!- we thought ours was bad, when NCL took us from Newcastle to Barcelona via Amsterdam, and it took all day and into the evening.

Returning, we saw an Easyjet fly off in the morning to Newcastle, due to land in 2 1/4 hours... instead we landed in Amsterdam about the same time and had a long wait... and landed too late in the evening for the train home.

Easyjet or similar for us now!