St Maarten on the France Side from Irma

bigque

I read that four sturdy government buildings on the French side came down. We're sitting here in northeast Florida waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are reports that the St. Maarten government building (on the Dutch side) was destroyed. We've likely not heard more than the tip of the iceberg when it comes to damage. A hurricane of this magnitude causes devastating damage.

OMG thats as bad anything Andrew dished out. Prayers to all....you can't evacuate an island, where do you go? Hope people were able to shelter from this thing.

I remember when Cozumel took a direct hit from Hurricane Wilma and we were back there the next winter. Almost no trees survived and they all looked like some Halloween set. I never thought Cozumel would be back to normal again...but they were! The port had to rebuild all the piers, etc. But they were back up running cruises within 3 weeks as a matter of fact)!. But the poor trees, they just looked decimated. But today, its almost as if you'd never known.

Costa Maya and Mahahual just blown away, many of you may remember that....http://thisiscozumel.com/news/70-latest-news/1608-cozumel-hurricane-wilma-anniversary The island was ready for the first cruise ships back in 3 weeks.

Things can get back to normalcy sooner than most would think....praying that for all our favorite places in the Caribbean today...God bless...

Edited by BecciBoo

I was looking on our fridge tonight and saw a photo of me, my wife and two boys in front of the Welcome to St. Maarten sign near the pier and I really got emotional and had a tear in my eye. I love this island we've been there four times, more than any other island. We don't cruise alot but the memories made on every island especially with our sons is why we do it and love it. I was asking the boys what they remember about our tour with Bernards and my 8 year old said Dad remember when the bus stopped and we fed the iguanas lettuce? I said yes that was awesome. He said I hope they survived. I said hopefully they did. My wife are planning a 25th anniversary trip there in a few years, hopefully it will be better than ever.