Shortened cruises, low occupancy upgrades?

BillOh

I saw several reports of big ships on hurricane shortened cruises this week. Pictures of empty pools on Oasis class ships comes to mind. Was anybody offered/asked about upgrades at the pier? With the cruise line offering refunds ini OBC terms that would be a way to recoup some of those dollars. My situation is a lot less dramatic. Majesty next week has been shortened from a 4 day to 3 day cruise and I get 25% refund. The ship was about 95% full (guestimate) I would think there will be cancellations, but on the other hand, they can get locals to jump on these. I'll probably wait and ask at the pier, but wondered what happened this week.

Someone on Allure (I think) reported that the ship was empty and yet the sign at the desk still said the ship was sold out and no upgrades available, lol

I wondered if all the cancelations never made it to the ships information.

I figured they had enough to deal with and just didn't want the hassle of people moving cabins. Or maybe they planned to do maintenance in the unused cabins, or they are using them for storage of things they are taking to the islands.

I just got off the 5 night Anthem sailing. They can't do anything at the pier. They need to wait until after the ship sails to see who is on board. There were a very few upgrades on my sailing. I'm D+ and tried to get an upgrade from a SB to a D. I was put on a list and was number 14, when I checked later I was told I already had a balcony cabin, so no upgrade. The people that were notified weren't told until the first sea day. One that I know of was doing a B2B. Being it was only a 5 night cruise, and I had already unpacked, I wouldn't have taken the upgrade anyway.

If you are looking for an upgrade, go to guest services as soon as you board, and get your name on the list, then wait and hope you get the call.

I just got off the 5 night Anthem sailing. They can't do anything at the pier. They need to wait until after the ship sails to see who is on board. There were a very few upgrades on my sailing. I'm D+ and tried to get an upgrade from a SB to a D. I was put on a list and was number 14, when I checked later I was told I already had a balcony cabin, so no upgrade. The people that were notified weren't told until the first sea day. One that I know of was doing a B2B. Being it was only a 5 night cruise, and I had already unpacked, I wouldn't have taken the upgrade anyway.

If you are looking for an upgrade, go to guest services as soon as you board, and get your name on the list, then wait and hope you get the call.

That seems reasonable, thanks for posting.

Just curious...how does Guest Services typically (if there is a "typical") price out an upgrade (if cabins are available, of course) while on board? Do they have access to, and simply go by what it would have cost to book in the days leading up to the sailing, or is there actually some semblance of a formula for a substantial discount to be offered?

Just curious...how does Guest Services typically (if there is a "typical") price out an upgrade (if cabins are available, of course) while on board? Do they have access to, and simply go by what it would have cost to book in the days leading up to the sailing, or is there actually some semblance of a formula for a substantial discount to be offered?

The woman that was on the B2B that got the upgrade was no charge. I don't know about any others. I would guess that corporate would let GS know what to charge or if they would be free.

I am on the Allure now. I went to check at Guest Services regarding an upgrade from my ocean balcony, to a junior suite, or higher, just after I boarded the ship. I was told that, unfortunately, they were now sold out of suite upgrades; apparently others had the same idea, and checked with them before I did!

I was curious about the pricing and was told it was based on my current booked category, and the category I wanted to move up to, so there definitely was a set formula. So I would pay less to upgrade to a junior suite compared to someone starting in an inside, as an example. Apparently my status as a Diamond Plus also had no bearing on the price, or availability, as I was told it was "first come, first served"!

The upgrade amounts were minimal, after I got an idea what they were for this particular 4 night shortened cruise, so I was disappointed that I did not move faster to request it!

My friends are on Harmony. They first boarded last Saturday before the hurricane. When they got back on Tuesday, they were given the option of remaining on board for 4 more nights for $199 pp due to the low number of people that were able to make it for the shortened 4 night Harmony sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My niece was on the Allure's September 3rd extended sailing due to Irma. There were originaly 4 adults booked in one balcony cabin on deck 8. She went down to guest services on Tuesday and asked if there was a cabin available and there was. Two of them were able to move down the hall on deck 8 at no additional charge. Needless to say, she was very happy!

Karen

Were you even tempted?

Sent from my STH100-1 using Forums mobile app

I was just happy to have power back and that I had convinced Dan to go that I did not even think about it. Someone said you had to wait until after 6pm. By that time we were unpacked and we'll into Happy Hour. [emoji1]

Sent from my BG2-W09 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the answers to my questions so far. :)

If you upgrade while on-board from a lower stateroom category to JS or higher, will you receive an extra cruise point for each night, or will it still be based on your original stateroom category of 1 point/night?

Does it matter whether you received the on-board upgrade for free after inquiring at Guest Services, or if you paid for it (even if it was only a nominal charge)?

There are 2058 on Allure right now. Silk dining room was closed two nights ago for early seating. MTD had half the staff working early, half late. Second

and third night had about 50 customers up until 6:30 when we left. Solarium

has maybe 20 people in it at 11 AM (final sea day), main pools had two people in each and 10-15 laying out in sun. Last night there were obvious crew members being allowed to mingle with passengers on Promenade.

We were supposed to have 338 people continue from previous cruise and had maybe 500. Didn't hear of any upgrades but some folks reported getting balconies for $400 total two people. Many folks who stayed on were having problems getting flights out or had homes without power in Florida.

Only real problem was turnaround day, with about 250 people not getting their cruise cards until they got back onboard.

If you upgrade while on-board from a lower stateroom category to JS or higher, will you receive an extra cruise point for each night, or will it still be based on your original stateroom category of 1 point/night?

Does it matter whether you received the on-board upgrade for free after inquiring at Guest Services, or if you paid for it (even if it was only a nominal charge)?

My interpretation of the Crown & Anchor Terms & Conditions is no, you are not entitled to the extra point.

Officially you must pay the prevailing rate in order to get the extra point so free or reduced rate upgrades do not qualify.

Officially you must pay the prevailing rate in order to get the extra point so free or reduced rate upgrades do not qualify.

They used to give the bonus point on a pay upgrade for any dollar amount; even if they put $1 fee on a "free" upgrade you got it but that ended around 2014. You are right, now it must be a full paid upgrAde