Think you dont need trip insurance or Passports?..........

rp23g7

It was just about a year ago, we became Mexican citizens for 3 days. This was on Princess, but it can happen with any line.

First, PRINCESS CRUISES ROCKS AT TAKING CARE OF THEIR CUSTOMERS.

long post coming.

We were on the Grand for the Sept 25 Mexican Riviera 10 day cruise.

We did not have trip insurance on this cruise, Ah we don't need it for this cruise...........Ooops.

We have Passports and Passport Cards, but our Passports had expired a month before and we didn't notice until a week before, OOOPS,

We were in Puerto Vallarta on the 29th of September, on our own. We have branched out and have discovered all sorts of cool places on our own, There is a awesome little Cantina in the middle of the jungle outside of Puerta Vallarta by the way.

My wife was shopping for t shirts in the city when she stumbled on a step, tried catching herself and dislocated her shoulder. This was about 3 or so, plenty of time to meet the 8:00 departure time.

We discussed what to do with our cab driver, we decided to go back to the ship first. Medical was awesome, but the x ray machine was not working.

So they took us to Amerimed, a few blocks from the ship.

Amerimed took our health insurance but the translations etc, took so long that we were not able to get the procedure done in time since she would need to be sedated and watched for a hr.

So about 730 Fidel the port rep called me,said he would need to have me come back disembark and we would need to stay the night in Mexico.

Princess again ROCKS, and so does Amerimed, the hospital driver took me back, Princess had packed my room and the Hospital guy took me back to the hospital, they had preformed the relocation and Carly was ok.

Fidel the port rep booked us a room in the Holiday In Express next door, and we discussed what to do, either take a bus to Manzinillo the next day or go home. But the Dr. did not speak English, and the nurse that did, didn't translate what the dr said correctly, so we decided to go home.

We decided to go home, so I booked a flight for Saturday.

Princess customer care also called me directly from California to ask if everything was ok and if they could do anything, even though they had no responsibility for anything really.

So, remember I said we had Passport Cards? Well I just happened to remember that they were only good for land/sea travel and not flying. OH OH. This was about 5 on Saturday.

I called the Customs office and united and they said there would be no issue, umm ok. I called Fidel the port rep and he said there would probably be no issue, but call him again when at the airport if there were problems.

Soooo. we got to the airport Saturday, up to the counter, Need passports, don't have passports, cant travel, and its not "HAHA, we may not let you go home" or "HAHA you cant leave" Its looking you dead in the eye and saying" YOU CANT TRAVEL WITHOUT A PASSPORT, YOUR NOT GOING ANYWHERE"!!!! OH, OH, got in touch with head customs and immigrations guy at airport, 45 minute wait, big hand slap, got everything taken care of.

I had called Fidel again during this, and he said the answer is always No, at the counter but customs usually takes care of it, but to call again if they wouldn't do it and he would come to the airport. It is pretty scary though facing the possibility of being stuck in a different country.

Soooo......we got on the plane to San Francisco, made it to San Francisco, and the fun was just beginning.

3rd degree from US Customs after standing in line and WINNER we get to go to secondary customs, the land of strip searches and the Spanish Inquisition, I bet a lot of sweating goes on in that room, waiting for your fate. I overheard a Asian lady getting a "second chance" and getting her fine waived for something.

Actually they guy was nice and just needed to verify our addresses and stuff. only took about 15 min.

Made it home Saturday night and booked our 2017 Caribbean cruise and our 2018 Panama Canal cruise with trip insurance and renewed Passports. YIPPPEEEEE

Sadly, some will read your adventure and how it all worked out and say, "See, Martha, I told you we didn't need passports or insurance."

Sadly, some will read your adventure and how it all worked out and say, "See, Martha, I told you we didn't need passports or insurance."

But.......the simple fact of the matter is that it DID work out - at least in this case.

And until it becomes mandatory to cruise with a passport and to purchase insurance, for better or worse, people will continue to cruise without one, the other or both.

Once past refund date, the cruise money is spent whether you go or don't go. You don't need insurance for money that is already gone.What you do need is valid health insurance and evacuation insurance (for those that travel a lot, these items are obtainable on an annual basis for much less than trip by trip insurance). Medical issues could easily be bancrupt you, yet millions of Americans don't have health insurance for home or travel, and many politicans want to add tens of millions to rolls of those lackng health insurance. Unfortunately for many people comprehension of "need" versus "nice to have" is sadly lackng, and neither a cruise nor insurance for the cruise itself is a need IMO.

Of course, the op needed neither.

Exactly!

Normally a helpful port rep would have mentioned this up front, that they would need passports to fly. Not sure who you talked to at customs in the phone or United, but stopping at the embassy is what was needed.

You needed new passports.

Though you actually didn't. Somehow you managed to get on a plane from a foreign country without passports. Lucky. I would have expected to stay the weekend plus a few more days and hundreds of dollars to get those emergency passports.

Many countries will not accept passports that expire six months away. Princess really is somewhat at fault here for allowing these passengers to embark.

Many countries will not accept passports that expire six months away. Princess really is somewhat at fault here for allowing these passengers to embark.

Could be that a BC can be used instead of a passport for cruises like this Princess let it slide rather than lose a customer forever because he was denied boarding?

I would never want somebody already hurting from an accident to undergo the additional hassle of dealing with passport problems. But OP's experience torpedoed much of the advice often given here, namely that international air travel requires a current and valid passport. Lesson taught: Save the money. The port agent will get you home.

Could be that a BC can be used instead of a passport for cruises like this Princess let it slide rather than lose a customer forever because he was denied boarding?

I would never want somebody already hurting from an accident to undergo the additional hassle of dealing with passport problems. But OP's experience torpedoed much of the advice often given here, namely that international air travel requires a current and valid passport. Lesson taught: Save the money. The port agent will get you home.

When things go wrong it's nice to know that one will make it home regardless of what documentation is being used. I wouldn't say that a return will always be as timely as the OP's was but on the other hand I don't know why in most cases it shouldn't be- there are mechanisms in place to get US citizens home. It still all comes down to choice and passport holders do have the advantage of certain knowledge that they won't face delays because of documentation (and many who have participated in the debate over the years say that alone is worth the price of the passport to them). As for the whole 6 month thing only certain countries require that and with the exception of Cuba none of them are in the Caribbean for those arriving by a cruise ship.

Princess was fully compliant with the US Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative which allows most closed loop ship cruise departing from the US to be done without any sort of passport. While I ALWAYS travel with my valid passport booklet, I strongly disagree that Princess should be my nanny and require more than is required by the government.
... As for the whole 6 month thing only certain countries require that and with the exception of Cuba none of them are in the Caribbean for those arriving by a cruise ship.
Cuba is one of the few (maybe the only - not sure) Caribbean country to require passports of arriving cruise ship passengers. Last month I sailed into Santiago de Cuba, Havana and Cienfuegos and passports were carefully checked by Cuban authorities every time we got off or on the ship. However I don't think Cuba has a six month rule. The US State Department says that passports must be valid on arrival in Cuba, with no mention of a 6 (or 3 or other) month rule.

Princess was fully compliant with the US Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative which allows most closed loop ship cruise departing from the US to be done without any sort of passport. While I ALWAYS travel with my valid passport booklet, I strongly disagree that Princess should be my nanny and require more than is required by the government.Cuba is one of the few (maybe the only - not sure) Caribbean country to require passports of arriving cruise ship passengers. Last month I sailed into Santiago de Cuba, Havana and Cienfuegos and passports were carefully checked by Cuban authorities every time we got off or on the ship. However I don't think Cuba has a six month rule. The US State Department says that passports must be valid on arrival in Cuba, with no mention of a 6 (or 3 or other) month rule.

Good to know, thanks!

Glad all was well in the end. :)

If I am completely honest in baffles me that US folk can do a closed loop cruise without a passport in these travel happy and security conscious times. I know its a process and a cost to get one but its so worth it I think. 6 months before expiry is the longest passport requirement I have seen anywhere in the world.

Cruise lines/Maritime US law should ensure everyone has a passport to sail in my opinion.As I am European I was pretty much given a passport as soon as I popped out the womb as over here in the UK you can't even train it to France without a passport.

As for insurance...I have a Type 1 diabetic husband so its always a must for us.

...As I am European I was pretty much given a passport as soon as I popped out the womb as over here in the UK you can't even train it to France without a passport...
Your need for a passport to go to France comes from the UK's decisions to not be an integral part of Europe. French citizens (and citizens of the many countries that signed the Schengen agreement) can travel from Iceland to Crete and Malta to North Cape Norway and go on a number of Med cruises with no passport required.

For those who arrgue against getting a passport and say they don' want the cost, i wonder. Do they b uy a bakcpack to trave with? , a tote bvag? , a new duffle? Do they dine in one of gthe alternative resttaurants on a shIp? Do they have a cocktail o r glass of wine? Do THEY DO ANY EXCUDSIONS or taaxi to a beach? Pay to rent a lounger or have a burgger/ beer on he beach?

Think a bout it. If the answser is yes................ be aware the passport costs less. Which is more important and a better investtment?

I haven't purchased a backpack, tote bag, duffel bag, alternative restaurant, or alcohol that costs as much as a passport. A passport is $150. OK, so it's good for 10 years making it $15/year. But if you only go on one cruise during that time and don't go out of the country, it's $150 for a one time use.

In regards to a US citizen taking a closed loop cruise (ETA: to most of the Caribbean), the only ACCURATE answer to the question "Do I/we need a passport?" is "NO". Is it a good idea? Yes. But it is not required. The OP is proof of that.

Think a bout it. If the answser is yes................ be aware the passport costs less. Which is more important and a better investtment?

The frustration is that some folks like to base their decisions from facts, not emotional personal opinions.

Some poster's pride get hurt when other posters don't agree with their opinion, so they respond condescendingly. And I don't get that.

Burt

To those trying to use the OP's experience as a justification and vindication of not having a passport or insurance, LOL. That is like saying that someone who survives a heart transplant shows that it is fine to ignore your personal health. Fortunately for them, OP's was about the best case scenario for having a problem, yet it still cost them money, not to mention the angst and stress they went through.

To those trying to use the OP's experience as a justification and vindication of not having a passport or insurance, LOL. That is like saying that someone who survives a heart transplant shows that it is fine to ignore your personal health. Fortunately for them, OP's was about the best case scenario for having a problem, yet it still cost them money, not to mention the angst and stress they went through.

You (as well as the OP) might want to look up the definition of 'need'. The OP's experience is a prime example of why a passport or insurance is NOT needed. Yes, have either (or both) can reduce (if not eliminate) out of pocket costs and stress. It *IS* possible to return to the US without a passport or insurance, despite what some try to claim. Therefore, neither is needed. If you want one, fine. If you don't want one, fine. Sounds simple to me.

I say this as someone who does hold a passport and gets trip insurance.

It sounds like it would have cost them the same amount of money if they had had passports.

But passports are good for 9.5 years or 4.5 years

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think you missed my point. I was pointing out the the OP would have incurred the same costs (air fare and hotel) even if they had had passports. The post I was responding to seemed to imply that they incurred the costs because they didn't have passports.

I think you missed my point. I was pointing out the the OP would have incurred the same costs (air fare and hotel) even if they had had passports. The post I was responding to seemed to imply that they incurred the costs because they didn't have passports.

Was the PP talking about passports or insurance in regards to cost? He mentions both.

Was the PP talking about passports or insurance in regards to cost? He mentions both.

I thought they were actually talking about the costs incurred during their unexpected stay at the port (airfare and hotel) since that's what the rest of the sentence was talking about.

"OP's was about the best case scenario for having a problem, yet it still cost them money, not to mention the angst and stress they went through."

(My bolding)

I could be wrong.

But passports are good for 9.5 years or 4.5 years

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Actually for return to the US they are good for the full 10/5 year period, it's only when one travels to certain countries that require a passport to have 6 months remaining that it might be an issue.

Your need for a passport to go to France comes from the UK's decisions to not be an integral part of Europe. French citizens (and citizens of the many countries that signed the Schengen agreement) can travel from Iceland to Crete and Malta to North Cape Norway and go on a number of Med cruises with no passport required.

Despite the Schengen agreement this is not actually true when it comes to cruise travel as all lines explicitly recommend passports in these situations. This is due to documentation requirements as there are many different birth certificate and ID regulations it would be impossible to have the different ones floating around and some may be refused...even with a seemingly valid Visa. AIDA for example...my Austrian friend could not board without her passport for a Western Med cruise.

As for air travel the paperwork says that passport checks might not happen between small flights with these countries. However all countries and agents recommend passports due to random checks that now are very common and also the fact that EU/Schengen are not inclusive of the other one and can carry additional checks even if they are in the zone.

Land travel in the Schengen area is 'free-er' movement part and much easier especially by train. As a Brit I have trained it through many of these areas without problem although there have been more spot checks due to security. In these situations the whole train pretty much had passport as you would expect in Europe as we know our other ID can and has been refused.

Because of these reasons, many Europeans get passports as children (not just us British and newer EU states).

Also, as a proud European I object to also these sweeping statements about the UK not wanting to be/didn't want to be a integeral part of Europe etc etc. Especially in these times in a very different story for half of us. But thats for another time.

I thought they were actually talking about the costs incurred during their unexpected stay at the port (airfare and hotel) since that's what the rest of the sentence was talking about.

"OP's was about the best case scenario for having a problem, yet it still cost them money, not to mention the angst and stress they went through."

(My bolding)

I could be wrong.

He did talk about costs. But look at his first sentence... "To those trying to use the OP's experience as a justification and vindication of not having a passport or insurance, LOL. " (my bolding)

Despite the Schengen agreement this is not actually true when it comes to cruise travel as all lines explicitly recommend passports in these situations. This is due to documentation requirements as there are many different birth certificate and ID regulations it would be impossible to have the different ones floating around and some may be refused...even with a seemingly valid Visa. AIDA for example...my Austrian friend could not board without her passport for a Western Med cruise.

As for air travel the paperwork says that passport checks might not happen between small flights with these countries. However all countries and agents recommend passports due to random checks that now are very common and also the fact that EU/Schengen are not inclusive of the other one and can carry additional checks even if they are in the zone.

Land travel in the Schengen area is 'free-er' movement part and much easier especially by train. As a Brit I have trained it through many of these areas without problem although there have been more spot checks due to security. In these situations the whole train pretty much had passport as you would expect in Europe as we know our other ID can and has been refused.

Because of these reasons, many Europeans get passports as children (not just us British and newer EU states).

Also, as a proud European I object to also these sweeping statements about the UK not wanting to be/didn't want to be a integeral part of Europe etc etc. Especially in these times in a very different story for half of us. But thats for another time.

One of the big differences is that many Europeans can be in a different country by land travel in a very short time, which isn't the case for most Americans and the two countries that could reached by land up until a short time ago could be entered without a passport. It sounds like in Europe "recommendation" is used differently than here. In the US if a recommendation is made then the person to whom the recommendation is made actually has a choice to follow the recommendation or not. It doesn't sound like Europeans have a real choice so the correct word would be required (I guess it all comes down to what happens to the person that doesn't have a passport to present). In the US we have a choice (allowed by law) and some people will choose not to get the passport and as long as that's a choice that works for them whose to say different?

He did talk about costs. But look at his first sentence... "To those trying to use the OP's experience as a justification and vindication of not having a passport or insurance, LOL. " (my bolding)

Oh I saw that, but I think his mention of costs was about the costs that were incurred with the air fare and the hotel. I didn't see anything indicating that his mention of costs was about the cost of a passport or insurance. I don't see any mention of costs in the sentence you quoted.