Think you dont need trip insurance or Passports?..........

rp23g7

Been airlines people I can tell you the laws are more strict now than ever. You do need a passport if you have to fly back to the US from out of the country, No exceptions made.
Except that's not true. There are exceptions. You may be detained, you may be questioned, but a US citizen will not be denied reentry.
Also been in insurance for so many years, you do need Insurance and believe it or not US insurance and Medicare do not cover outside the US
Also not true. My medical insurance certainly does cover medical care outside the United States.

Also, be aware that travel insurance from cruise companies often DOES NOT cover pre-existing conditions.

It does if it's purchased within a given number of days of booking the cruise. We had 14 days to get it and have my pre-existing condition covered.

Your title:

Think you dont need trip insurance or Passports?..........

So unless I'm misreading this, based on your results the answer is NO you don't need either.

That was my takeaway as well!

You do need a passport if you have to fly back to the US from out of the country, No exceptions made.

I could have sworn I just read about an exception made....lol!

We discussed what to do with our cab driver, we decided to go back to the ship first. Medical was awesome, but the x ray machine was not working.

My take on this: If Princess' really rocked in terms of customer care, they'd keep their medical equipment working.

Yes, this all worked out, but the resolution could've been better: If the OP's wife had been able to receive medical treatment on the ship, they could've finished their cruise (in a more sedentary fashion) and would've avoided the whole flight home situation.

This is why I do not understand those who try to convince people not to get passports!

I think this story supports just the opposite: The OP and his wife got home just fine. I've experienced longer delays while flying domestically.

I continue to think what I've always thought: If you plan other travel and need a passport, get it. If you're an American looking at a closed cruise, it's just not necessary.

Many people post that in the event of an emergency on a ship, you can be stranded in another country, with no hope of getting home if you don't have a passport.

"Many people" are not experienced travelers are post such drivel from a standpoint of fear and willful ignorance.

I have seen several people suggest this.

Disagree. I've seen many people say that the choice of whether to get a passport should be based upon the individual's circumstances.

Also not true. My medical insurance certainly does cover medical care outside the United States.
Insurance coverage varies widely. It's up to every individual to read his or her policy and make a decision based upon personal facts.

Been airlines people I can tell you the laws are more strict now than ever. You do need a passport if you have to fly back to the US from out of the country, No exceptions made. Also been in insurance for so many years, you do need Insurance and believe it or not US insurance and Medicare do not cover outside the US, They tell you to pay upfront and file your insurance, But they do not pay, It also covers helicopter ride to the nearest hospital no questions asked. I suggest that you do get it. For the minimum price I would add it to the cruise. RCCL is great with that. I have seen lots of people have heart attacks, strokes, broken armsm kegs etc. You just never know and for 59.99 or 69.00 dollars it is worth it. :)

That's not necessarily true (at least the part about "US insurance"). Many policies do cover outside the US.

We had several thousand people leave Allure on our extended cruise in Jamaica, Puerto Maya and Cozumel rather than stay on for the full 10 days. Also had a bunch of people that had to stay on because they did not have a passport. Note that insurance may or may not cover leaving the ship early (some folks had damage to homes which might have qualified). But RCI did not pay for the airfare, transportation or hotels for people that chose to get off early unless they booked through ChoiceAir.

Except that's not true. There are exceptions. You may be detained, you may be questioned, but a US citizen will not be denied reentry.

Wasting your fingers typing replays to the drones who don't care what the facts are, just want to beat everyone else up to justify their personal decisions.

JC

Many people post that in the event of an emergency on a ship, you can be stranded in another country, with no hope of getting home if you don't have a passport.

I don't think anyone believes you would really be stranded foreverin a foreign country. But many, like me, rather not deal with the hassle. The OP was lucky.... his hassles were relatively few. Others have been stuck over a weekend waiting to get a replacement passport from the US embassy or consulate. If you have a passport, you can go straight to the airport and board a flight, no questions asked. Likewise, when arriving back in the US, you won't have to worry about being detained and questions, and potentially missing a connecting flight. Definitely easier!

I don't think anyone believes you would really be stranded foreverin a foreign country. But many, like me, rather not deal with the hassle. The OP was lucky.... his hassles were relatively few. Others have been stuck over a weekend waiting to get a replacement passport from the US embassy or consulate. If you have a passport, you can go straight to the airport and board a flight, no questions asked. Likewise, when arriving back in the US, you won't have to worry about being detained and questions, and potentially missing a connecting flight. Definitely easier!

That pretty much sums it up. We like being prepared.

Gregg

I'd like to see someone from either the US State Department or US Customs & Border Protection actually say something definitive and post it here on this site. This subject has been making the rounds on Cruise Critic in all the years that I've been following the boards, and both sides of the argument are as entrenched as they were years ago. I'm inclined to agree that always carrying a Passport is the best idea when leaving the country, but since I don't know if or when State or CPB will make an exception, perhaps best not for me to offer an opinion one way or the other.

Michael

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/news/september-is-passport-awareness-month.html

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/emergencies/lost-or-stolen-passports-abroad.html

Realize that Department of State has NOTHING to do with the rules for flying or entering the US. They only supply the documents. CBP is who will let you in the US or not.

From CBP site: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3618/kw/passport%20exceptions/session/L3RpbWUvMTUwNTgyOTUzOS9zaWQvNXNSRno1dG4%3D

Air Travel: All U.S. citizens departing from or entering the United States from within the Western Hemisphere by air are required to present a valid passport or a NEXUS card (if utilizing a NEXUS kiosk when departing from a designated Canadian airport). Merchant Mariner Document (for U.S. citizens on official maritime business.) U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders: Children are also required to present their own passport when traveling by air.

Cruise rules - https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/kw/documents%20needed%20for%20cruises

BTW, one thing no one has mentioned is, if you take a cruise with say a Panama Canal transit, so leave LA, arrive Miami, you are NOT on a closed loop cruise and need a passport.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/news/september-is-passport-awareness-month.html

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/emergencies/lost-or-stolen-passports-abroad.html

Realize that Department of State has NOTHING to do with the rules for flying or entering the US. They only supply the documents. CBP is who will let you in the US or not.

From CBP site: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3618/kw/passport%20exceptions/session/L3RpbWUvMTUwNTgyOTUzOS9zaWQvNXNSRno1dG4%3D

[/font][/color]

Cruise rules - https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/kw/documents%20needed%20for%20cruises

BTW, one thing no one has mentioned is, if you take a cruise with say a Panama Canal transit, so leave LA, arrive Miami, you are NOT on a closed loop cruise and need a passport.

This is correct and even an Alaska Cruise needs a passport. Seward to Vancouver or vice versa, needs a passport.

I see it often. Usually a set few that repeat the same posts.

What you see is people telling other people that US citizens can legally cruise on a closed loop cruise and they should decide what documentation to use based on their risk factors, their tolerance for those risks, and their planned/foreseeable travel. You choose to read that as trying to convince others not to get passports.

What you see is people telling other people that US citizens can legally cruise on a closed loop cruise and they should decide what documentation to use based on their risk factors, their tolerance for those risks, and their planned/foreseeable travel. You choose to read that as trying to convince others not to get passports.

While I always cruise (and travel) with trip insurance and a passport and I always advocate purchasing both, I agree with sparks that its up to each person to decide how much of a risk they are willing to take. Since it is legal to cruise without a passport, people will continue to do so.

And the OP's anecdote, IMHO, merely showed that while its prudent to have insurance and a passport, that they were not stranded and were able to return home without major issues - in other words, it pretty much proved both side's arguments.......

For those who arrgue against getting a passport and say they don' want the cost, i wonder. Do they b uy a bakcpack to trave with? , a tote bvag? , a new duffle? Do they dine in one of gthe alternative resttaurants on a shIp? Do they have a cocktail o r glass of wine? Do THEY DO ANY EXCUDSIONS or taaxi to a beach? Pay to rent a lounger or have a burgger/ beer on he beach?

Think a bout it. If the answser is yes................ be aware the passport costs less. Which is more important and a better investtment?

Always get trip insurance. We're old but it can and does happen to the younger set. We were 9 days into a 14 day cruise when I started to have heart failure. The ship's doc could not stabilize me so we were put off in Jamaica. Spent 5 days at a new hosp. where they wanted $13,000 until our insurance could be verified. Credit cards covered it then we had a $17,000 medvac flight to Ft. Lauderdale. Eventually out trip insurance covered almost all expenses. Don't leave home without it.

For those who arrgue against getting a passport and say they don' want the cost, i wonder. Do they b uy a bakcpack to trave with? , a tote bvag? , a new duffle? Do they dine in one of gthe alternative resttaurants on a shIp? Do they have a cocktail o r glass of wine? Do THEY DO ANY EXCUDSIONS or taaxi to a beach? Pay to rent a lounger or have a burgger/ beer on he beach?

Think a bout it. If the answser is yes................ be aware the passport costs less. Which is more important and a better investtment?

But, and to play Devil's advocate.....this post showed that a passport is NOT necessary and the end of the world if something happens and you need to get home. That $300+ would have been spent on the backpack or cocktail or alternative dining, etc, etc ad nauseum.

Just sayin........

This is correct and even an Alaska Cruise needs a passport. Seward to Vancouver or vice versa, needs a passport.

You could do that with a passport card in place of a passport book. That would work if you travel by boat or land (e.g. ferry, train or car) from the US (e.g. Seattle) to Vancouver. I used my passport card to board the ship in Vancouver and to cross into Canada and back on our bus/train excursion from Skagway. I had my passport book but it was just more convenient to pull the passport card out of my wallet.

IMO, a passport card or book is more convenient than presenting multiple documents (driver's license, birth certificate and, possibly, marriage certificate for those who change their names) and well worth the peace of mind and convenience. Of course there are ways around that in emergencies - one isn't going to be stranded outside the country forever, but one won't need the extra stress and, potentially, expense of dealing with the exception process at an already stressful time.

Also, I like knowing that I don't have to worry about the feds and the states getting the real ID thing worked out. With the passport card, I have ID that is as convenient to use as a driver's license that will continue to get me through TSA if they stop extending the deadline for the state to bring it's drivers licenses into compliance.

For trip insurance, my regular medical insurance covers me internationally. Depending on the trip cost, I've gone self-insured (i.e. willing to eat the cost of rebooking flights, cancelled trip arrangements, etc.) at times and taking trip insurance at others. I'm not on Medicare yet. Standard Medicare doesn't cover outside the US but some of the advantage policies do (not sure about the supplemental policies).

It's really pretty simple. If you travel abroad w/o a passport and get stuck, delayed, detained, etc. you deserve it and every headache and hassle that comes w/ it.

So go for it. Be lazy and irresponsible.

It sounds as though the OP didn't really have any major headaches or hassles.

SOME Alaska cruises require a passport, not all. Closed loop cruises out of a US port (such as Seattle) to Alaska do NOT require a passport for either the cruise or to get off the ship on the required port stop in Canada (but if you cross into Canada by land from Skagway a passport card or book is required). There are also small ship cruises entirely within Alaska; again no passport required for US residents.