Possible proposition for someone returning from Liberty on 10/29 going to Houston

rp23g7

We are leaving on Liberty OTS, from Galveston on 10/29/17. First and probably last time since this Galveston transportation thing is such a pain in the butt

Renting a full size car from Budget Houston IA, and driving to Galveston for the night, I was going to drive back to Texas City to return it, and take a taxi or Uber.

Wondering if someone wants a free ride back to Houston, I don't think you need to show your ID when you return, they just take the keys and look at the car and give you a receipt.

Just a idea......or not

Have you considered the insurance impact if you let a random person drive a car you rented? Also unless it's your spouse you'll need to put them on the rental agreement. Personally, I think this is something I would never do. You will be held responsible for any damage when the car is returned.

Rent the cheapest car, its only 85 miles, park in in Galveston for the week, about $65 at Lighthouse parking, then you have a ride back to Houston or wherever you are going.

I've read reports from others that do this and would seriously consider this myself if I ever decide to cruise out of Galveston again.. It's a testament to the level of transportation inconvenience that exists for the fly-in cruiser in Galveston.

We just drove from Ohio back in 2015. It really wasn't bad. 2 days of driving, but it still beat all of the hassle and BS associated with flying.

I was going to drive to Ft. Lauderdale this year as well until I found round trip tickets with carry-on and checked bag for $350 TOTAL for the 2 of us. I can't drive for that.

Edit: I see that it was 20 hours for us, 35 for you.... That might be a little long to drive.. :)

Rent the cheapest car, its only 85 miles, park in in Galveston for the week, about $65 at Lighthouse parking, then you have a ride back to Houston or wherever you are going.

We did this with our party of 5. It was cheaper for us to rent a car for a week and park it then to take shuttles.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Royal Connections transfer from Hobby to the pier is $32 one way pp. Houston IA-$47 Not a bad option for ease of worry. If I am not mistaken you can pay for it with OBC... but I think you could do better with Galveston Limo...$100 something for the vehicle.

OP, I don't know if its because I'm in the insurance business, but your suggestion scares the HECK out of me!! I kinda hope your just joking around, but if not, I strongly suggest you refer to the actual rental contract - and make sure you have good insurance on it... someone wrecks, steals, etc the car, and you are potentially out a lot more than parking fee's or shuttle transfer fee's.

We are leaving on Liberty OTS, from Galveston on 10/29/17. First and probably last time since this Galveston transportation thing is such a pain in the butt

Renting a full size car from Budget Houston IA, and driving to Galveston for the night, I was going to drive back to Texas City to return it, and take a taxi or Uber.

Wondering if someone wants a free ride back to Houston, I don't think you need to show your ID when you return, they just take the keys and look at the car and give you a receipt.

Just a idea......or not

Did you not check all this out before booking the cruise:confused:

Cruise Connection is $22pp from Hobby to the pier or Galveston hotels. Last time we rented a car at Bush and returned to to Hobby on the day of the cruise and then took a town car down - cost more than either the ship shuttle or Cruise Connection but was very convenient. Many ways to arrange the trip.