How do you handle charging your devices??

MichFish

Just buy a USB battery as a backup. They are very handy to have outside of cruises too. Something in the 10000-20000 mAh range will recharge 3-4 tables or 5-6 phones on 1 charge. Let it charge itself in your room during the day, and never have to worry about running out of juice or outlets at night.

Since there seems to be a few different things being bandied about here, I'll jump in.

The outlet in the bathroom is a low current limited outlet. If you draw too much power, it will blow a fuse, which would need to be replaced, not simply reset. Yes, it is only live when the bathroom light is on. An electric razor draws about the same power as a typical USB charger, so it is fine to use this for charging devices, it may be a little slower than plugging into a "normal" outlet.

Most "pure" USB multi-chargers (only having USB outlets, not a 120v power outlet) have two prong plugs. If they have a two prong plug, by definition they cannot have surge protection. There needs to be a ground connection for surge protection to work. If they do have a three prong plug, it does not mean the USB multi-port is surge protected, it just means it needs to be looked at closer. If in the packaging, or in the fine print on the unit, it mentions "joules of protection" or "clamping voltages", then it is surge protected. If it doesn't have these indications, then it isn't. What many manufacturers claim as "surge protection" is actually "over voltage protection" as Maketech product mentioned above has (and this mfg. calls it "over voltage"). Surge protection shunts excess voltage to ground, while over voltage merely turns off the output of the device if the input voltage gets too high. Over voltage protection is not a hazard.

Most of the "combination" USB multi-outlets (that have both USB ports and 120v power outlets) tend to be surge protected. I know Monster makes some that aren't(though be careful as some Monster products are), and apparently so does Maketech. So, I tell people to generally stay away from combination units. The power cube is a problem. I had to dig deep into contacting them regarding surge protection, and found that previous models (still available from some sites) was not surge protected, but their newer models are.

Thinking that a non-technically trained cabin steward will be the final arbiter of your safety is a poor idea. The steward will do most anything to avoid annoying the guests, so they play deaf, dumb, and blind to things in the cabin, as long as they know their supervisors won't be looking. NCL has recently required all stewards to unplug all charging items when the cabin is unoccupied, so that is about the most intrusive you will get from your steward.

It is my understanding that RCI is now taking all power strips, power adapters like the Belkin (I saw someone here complaining about this a couple weeks ago), and possibly extension cords. They will provide cords, as Bob mentioned, for medical reasons, etc. Best for RCI, to me, would be a pure multi-USB charger, and a three way plug adapter.

As noted, most USB chargers, and even most other chargers like laptops, will accept 220v, so with a simple plug adapter to change the shape from the EU round pin outlet to your US 110v flat pin plug, you can use this outlet as well.

And finally, surge protectors are not only dangerous on ships, they are totally not required, as you do not experience the power surges that happen on land.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, the PowerCube I posted isn't a problem, the PowerCubes with surge protection are a problem, right?

If it doesn't say any of the clues I listed, or have a little green "protected" light on it, then it should be fine. I will say that the power cube does not have a very good reputation for durability, the case tends to come apart when pulling plugs from the outlets.

Just a comment regarding cabin attendants. They are trained for safety. I'm old enough and have cruised enough to know that they will let minor things go that are technically against the rules that are not a safety issue. The last clause, I think, is what governs their actions, or inactions. Sneak on a case of liquor, they won't care. Something that they've been told is a danger, well, no matter what we think, we don't sign their paychecks and people tend to be loyal to the person who does.

The shaver outlet in the bathroom did not go out with the light on Grandeur. But it is limited in current. OK for charging.

I carry one of the below. It can be used in one of the Euro outlets, charges two devices at once, and can be used to adapt another plug in device (laptop, another charger, etc), as long as the device is safe for 220 volts.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DJNR9LM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We had a non-surge protected power strip, but really did not need it (2 devices per person, 2 people).

I have a PowerCube, model "Extended USB 4400/USEUPC". None of the packaging or information inserts reference surge protection as a feature. I confirmed with the manufacturer, Allocacoc USA, that this model does not have surge protection. It is also CSA- and UL-listed, conforming to UL-1363 and CSA C22.2 No. 21.

However, they also pointed out that other PowerCube models do have surge protection (e.g. 4200/USOUPC, and they said those models are rated at 175 joules with a clear marking of "Surge Protected" on the product).

This works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Family-Sized-Charger-Technology-AX-TPCS/dp/B00OJ79UK6

12 amps across 10 ports and is smart (more amps to phones and tablets). Since the cord is the same as my electric razor, I put the power cord with my razor and it looks like a USB hub. Never been questioned. No surge protectors. I take 3 to 1 US plug adapters and a European to US adapter that fits their vacuum outlets throughout the ship. Where others don't, I do get charging. Had it for a few years and used it with a Note 7 before it got taken back. I do get cables with 56k ohm resisters built https://www.amazon.com/Braided-Charging-Samsung-OnePlus-LIMITED/dp/B01HC3TJ54/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1471098242&sr=1-2&keywords=usb+3.0+to+type+c+charging+cable in so I don't fry anything. Pays to do your homework.

I have an ionizer that has batteries and USB cable. I have been stopped at security but state it is for asthma and have it labeled so. No heating element. Our watches (Garmin) use USB. Harmony has USB ports and 3 US on the makeup counter and another US next to the bed. Plus the European 220v connectors. Electric toothbrushes are 110v only but do recharge in the shaver port in the bathroom.

This works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Family-Sized-Charger-Technology-AX-TPCS/dp/B00OJ79UK6

12 amps across 10 ports and is smart (more amps to phones and tablets). Since the cord is the same as my electric razor, I put the power cord with my razor and it looks like a USB hub. Never been questioned. No surge protectors. I take 3 to 1 US plug adapters and a European to US adapter that fits their vacuum outlets throughout the ship. Where others don't, I do get charging. Had it for a few years and used it with a Note 7 before it got taken back. I do get cables with 56k ohm resisters built https://www.amazon.com/Braided-Charging-Samsung-OnePlus-LIMITED/dp/B01HC3TJ54/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1471098242&sr=1-2&keywords=usb+3.0+to+type+c+charging+cable in so I don't fry anything. Pays to do your homework.

I have an ionizer that has batteries and USB cable. I have been stopped at security but state it is for asthma and have it labeled so. No heating element. Our watches (Garmin) use USB. Harmony has USB ports and 3 US on the makeup counter and another US next to the bed. Plus the European 220v connectors. Electric toothbrushes are 110v only but do recharge in the shaver port in the bathroom.

Should read the comments listed on link you posted about the product. "Burned out" and "Caught fire in my house" and "Product meltdown (literally) after 6 months"

Since there seems to be a few different things being bandied about here, I'll jump in.

The outlet in the bathroom is a low current limited outlet. If you draw too much power, it will blow a fuse, which would need to be replaced, not simply reset. Yes, it is only live when the bathroom light is on. An electric razor draws about the same power as a typical USB charger, so it is fine to use this for charging devices, it may be a little slower than plugging into a "normal" outlet.

Most "pure" USB multi-chargers (only having USB outlets, not a 120v power outlet) have two prong plugs. If they have a two prong plug, by definition they cannot have surge protection. There needs to be a ground connection for surge protection to work. If they do have a three prong plug, it does not mean the USB multi-port is surge protected, it just means it needs to be looked at closer. If in the packaging, or in the fine print on the unit, it mentions "joules of protection" or "clamping voltages", then it is surge protected. If it doesn't have these indications, then it isn't. What many manufacturers claim as "surge protection" is actually "over voltage protection" as Maketech product mentioned above has (and this mfg. calls it "over voltage"). Surge protection shunts excess voltage to ground, while over voltage merely turns off the output of the device if the input voltage gets too high. Over voltage protection is not a hazard.

Most of the "combination" USB multi-outlets (that have both USB ports and 120v power outlets) tend to be surge protected. I know Monster makes some that aren't(though be careful as some Monster products are), and apparently so does Maketech. So, I tell people to generally stay away from combination units. The power cube is a problem. I had to dig deep into contacting them regarding surge protection, and found that previous models (still available from some sites) was not surge protected, but their newer models are.

Thinking that a non-technically trained cabin steward will be the final arbiter of your safety is a poor idea. The steward will do most anything to avoid annoying the guests, so they play deaf, dumb, and blind to things in the cabin, as long as they know their supervisors won't be looking. NCL has recently required all stewards to unplug all charging items when the cabin is unoccupied, so that is about the most intrusive you will get from your steward.

It is my understanding that RCI is now taking all power strips, power adapters like the Belkin (I saw someone here complaining about this a couple weeks ago), and possibly extension cords. They will provide cords, as Bob mentioned, for medical reasons, etc. Best for RCI, to me, would be a pure multi-USB charger, and a three way plug adapter.

As noted, most USB chargers, and even most other chargers like laptops, will accept 220v, so with a simple plug adapter to change the shape from the EU round pin outlet to your US 110v flat pin plug, you can use this outlet as well.

And finally, surge protectors are not only dangerous on ships, they are totally not required, as you do not experience the power surges that happen on land.

Can u post a suggested device?

Sent from my VS501 using Forums mobile app

Can u post a suggested device?

Sent from my VS501 using Forums mobile app

The Anker devices mentioned above are fine, they come in various numbers of USB ports, but virtually any "pure" USB mulit-port device is fine. And, as I've said, I would go with a simple $2-4 rubber 3-way plug adapter (there are those with swivels, and those in the shape of cubes, or t-shaped, take your pick) from Homedepot, Target, Walmart, etc.

Should read the comments listed on link you posted about the product. "Burned out" and "Caught fire in my house" and "Product meltdown (literally) after 6 months"

2 out of 2000+ comments. May have been faulty receptacles or A/C power problems.

I have used mine for years - at home, on ship, in Europe using a 220v plug adapter. Again, I use cables with resistors. That is how the Note 7's caught fire - bad cables. I read up prior to plugging in the Note 7, got the right cables, and never had a problem with 4 Note 7's. Too bad they recalled them.

You can go by comments on Amazon or my real-life experience. We have several of these.

The room steward would unplug anything being charged if we are not in the room. So as long as you are in the room while charging, should be no problem. Plug strip and everything that needs charging at night while you sleep, and VOILA! Everything is ready the next morning!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hopefully they will start putting world outlets + USB on all of the ships...

The only folks left out in the cold will be three prong Swiss and Italian plugs, but some of these world outlets have a hole for those too..

5ca2127b-e394-49a4-9511-6ffd5b3a1790.JPG

Those outlets are dangerous with Euro plugs, as they do not connect the safety ground.

Agreed on the big shucko plugs and the French version, but Most people just bring two-prong plugs anyway, so whether it be a US Plug or a Euro-plug they are ideal. The universal outlet is evolving. There are some that are more electrically sound and would make more sense, like these. It really is too bad we have so many variations in the world. In the Two prong variety, The US/Japan/Taiwan plug is the most electrically sound since there is little variation in the blade thickness and gets the most contact area, but the standard Europlug is the safest for kids.

SE-CA_CCS3045SAT3P.jpg

We had one 110 outlet. I have a two cable base (Verizon). We had one EU socket and we have a nifty cube that converts to 110 and adapts for US plugs (Amazon). We also have an emergency Mophie. To corral all the cables, connectors, etc. I bought a Power Packer from Side by Side (Indiegogo).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Nor I. Also, 2 iPhones, 1 iPad, 1 iPad mini ( not this time, it's on the blink) and one digital camera with extra battery. Never had a problem with getting them all charged to use on mornings. Now just bring either three/six outlet cube type plug. No need for strip. And all is well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On Allure there is an outlet behind the bed, but I use that for my BIPAP. I bring a small "tower" with six USB ports and only needs to be plugged into one outlet. It works fine for when we try to charge things at night.

My device takes us little room in my carryon, so I bring it on all my cruises.