Purchase Passport or No

Sunduane

I won't leave the country without one. I think everyone who does leave the country, either by plane, car or ship should have one. No matter where you're going.

I live 8 miles from the Canadian border and I know many folks in my community whose only travel is into Canada on a regular basis and they use passport cards or Enhanced Drivers Licenses and they would scoff at your advice.

OP, you'll have to decide for yourself whether or not getting a passport is worth it for this one trip with no future travel plans in sight. What are your risk factors- do you have someone at home that you would return for if something happened to them (and do you have the money to do so)? Are you taking private excursions that take you a long way from the port? Do you or your travel companions have any known medical issues that could raise a problem? For most people the risk is low enough to be acceptable, millions of people travel every year by closed loop cruise without any issues at all. Good luck no matter how you decide (and FWIW I didn't obtain passports for any of our Bahamas cruises).

I am another firm believer of having the passport.

In fact we are on our 6th ones.

If sometimes happens at home or to us on a cruise, I know that we can fly home without any problems.

If you don't mind my asking how many times have you had to return home from a closed loop cruise?

I'll second all the reasons above for getting passports. Yes, a US citizen can sail closed loop cruises without a passport but will always be the case? If the cost of three passports is an issue, you may consider getting one for yourself this year, your partner next year, and the third person the year after that. (Passports for children under 16 are only good for 5 years.) By staggering them you won't be putting out for three at once and they won't all be expiring at once.

Also be aware that if somebody sails under a married name - and the birth certificate has the maiden name - a marriage record or other "bridge" document is needed in addition to the birth certificate. A passport simplifies this document dump.

This. I cruised twice having to juggle my birth certificate, ID, and marriage license each time. When the new requirements came out and they suggested US citizens get passports for cruises, we did. I enjoy cruising, and having one document to keep track of vs three is much better for my peace of mind.

Id go with passport cards if money is an issue. They are only $50 each and work for all land and sea entries. And would probably work fine in a medical emergency. One thing I've seen frequently is people at the port who aren't allowed to board the ship because they didn't have the right paperwork. Thier vacation was ruined and they were out the travel costs to get to the port, hotel the night before, etc. Not worth the risk to save $50 IMO.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

DH has one because he needs it for work. I had one that expired 15 years ago that I haven't renewed. We've been cruising about 10 years and also never got them for our 3 kids. Birth certificates for us!

BTW, you can no longer renew your expired passport. You will have to start over. IIRC, you have 5 years from expiration to renew, then you start over.

Id go with passport cards if money is an issue. They are only $50 each and work for all land and sea entries. And would probably work fine in a medical emergency. One thing I've seen frequently is people at the port who aren't allowed to board the ship because they didn't have the right paperwork. Thier vacation was ruined and they were out the travel costs to get to the port, hotel the night before, etc. Not worth the risk to save $50 IMO.

Passport cards are a complete waste of money. They are not good if you need to FLY back home, which is what would presumably happen if you couldn't come back on the ship. The cards are no better than a birth certificate.

If you don't mind my asking how many times have you had to return home from a closed loop cruise?

For me, up until August, once, out of ONE cruise.

Now, once out of two.

I CAN happen.

I see it as cheap insurance. And if a lot of people need to get passports for RealID coming in January, the lead time will get long again, just like when the requirements changed about 10 years ago.

Personally, I will not travel outside the US without a valid passport.

Passport cards are a complete waste of money. They are not good if you need to FLY back home, which is what would presumably happen if you couldn't come back on the ship. The cards are no better than a birth certificate.

You have personal experience with This? Did you try to fly with a card but was denied? Because I can say that in an emergency, it has worked for me. Remember, passport control is in the United States not in St. Kitts or wherever you are flying from unless you are flying from Canada. Passport book is definately the way to go but if cost is an issue as OP states, the card insures you'll get on the ship and in an emergency, should get you home, even on a plane.

For me, up until August, once, out of ONE cruise.

Now, once out of two.

I CAN happen.

I see it as cheap insurance. And if a lot of people need to get passports for RealID coming in January, the lead time will get long again, just like when the requirements changed about 10 years ago.

Personally, I will not travel outside the US without a valid passport.

Yes, it can happen and as a choice yours works for you. As for the REAL ID act people would only potentially need a passport to fly domestically or to access Federal property and a passport card would be a good alternative for those needs. (And the person I asked the question of has over 140 cruises so their reply will be very useful.)

BTW, you can no longer renew your expired passport. You will have to start over. IIRC, you have 5 years from expiration to renew, then you start over.

It's actually if the passport was issued in the past 15 years, you can renew by mail.

You can renew by mail using Form DS-82 if your most recent passport:

• Is submitted with your application
  • Is undamaged (other than normal "wear and tear")
  • Was issued when you were age 16 or older
  • Was issued within the last 15 years
  • Was issued in your current name (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order)

If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you must Apply in Person using form DS-11.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/renew.html

I'm going with the BC on my upcoming cruise in 12 days, but will be getting passports before the next one. OP should be fine on the one cruise. After that I will side with the majority and say get the passports if you plan to cruise in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's great information, what was the emergency and where did you fly from?

So, i wasnt completely honest in my post. I traveled from a foreign country into the US with no documentation or ID at all. I had left my passport and wallet in my hotel room which was hours away from the airport and I didn't realize it until I got to the airport and I had to get home. I walked up to US passport control and told them I had no ID at all, not even a driver's license. Needless to say, they were not happy with me nor do I recommend ever trying this yourself. I was taken to a back room and they asked me a bunch of questions which I answered so they let me go but stating this was a one time deal and to never do this again. I asked if a passport card would have worked and they said yes, in an emergency. And this was just a few years ago, well after 9/11.

From that point on, I always carry my passport card in my wallet just in case.

You have to think if you have an emergency and have to fly from Trinidad to Miami, do you think they are going to send you back to Trinidad because you only have a passport card?

On a side note, the questions they asked me were kind of freaky. Like where did I live in 1987, who was my roommate in 1993, where did my father live in 2001, etc. They knew a ton about me. A little scary.

I didn't know that birth certificates were an option. We are traveling with our toddlers and was planning on getting them passports (same cost as adults but only good for 5 years) and in gathering the paperwork for that I had already requested certified copies of their birth certificates. Just to make sure I understand right, you're saying that for travel to Mexico and Jamaica, a birth certificate is okay? Does that also allow you to fly out if needed?

So, i wasnt completely honest in my post. I traveled from a foreign country into the US with no documentation or ID at all. I had left my passport and wallet in my hotel room which was hours away from the airport and I didn't realize it until I got to the airport and I had to get home. I walked up to US passport control and told them I had no ID at all, not even a driver's license. Needless to say, they were not happy with me nor do I recommend ever trying this yourself. I was taken to a back room and they asked me a bunch of questions which I answered so they let me go but stating this was a one time deal and to never do this again. I asked if a passport card would have worked and they said yes, in an emergency. And this was just a few years ago, well after 9/11.

From that point on, I always carry my passport card in my wallet just in case.

You have to think if you have an emergency and have to fly from Trinidad to Miami, do you think they are going to send you back to Trinidad because you only have a passport card?

On a side note, the questions they asked me were kind of freaky. Like where did I live in 1987, who was my roommate in 1993, where did my father live in 2001, etc. They knew a ton about me. A little scary.

Thanks for the info. It's amazing what can be forgotten in the heat of the moment. I live in a border town and once or twice a year someone will return from Canada without their documentation because it was lost or stolen. After their identity is confirmed they are allowed to proceed on their way.

I didn't know that birth certificates were an option. We are traveling with our toddlers and was planning on getting them passports (same cost as adults but only good for 5 years) and in gathering the paperwork for that I had already requested certified copies of their birth certificates. Just to make sure I understand right, you're saying that for travel to Mexico and Jamaica, a birth certificate is okay? Does that also allow you to fly out if needed?

You can use their birth certificates to board the cruise (and to cross the land border from Mexico if they are under 16) but to board a flight you would need to get assistance from the State Department. You have to decide if the probability of that happening is worth the expense of passports.

If its a closed loop cruise, one that starts and ends in the same US port, birth certificates will work. They will not help if you need to leave the cruise for any reason like a medical emergency, etc. And from others I know, they pay extra attention to small children when leaving foreign countries for obvious reasons. You could probably go on hundreds of cruises without a passport but the one time you really need it, you'd be glad you had it. If you decide to go without passports, make 300% sure you have all the right docs or they will not let you board.

I believe in having a passport. And I'm one. It to leave the ship without it. I'm in another country and things do happen that leave people stranded (accidents, illness, just misses the ship). That when you will have to have one. Think of the cost as being spread out amount 10 years. Plus you may want to take a drive to Canada or Mexico one day!