computer-but-not-wi-fi question

ultrafighter

Does anyone know if Carnival charges to use the computers on board but not the internet? Like just typing something up in a Word document to save on a flash drive?

We don't have a laptop or a way to borrow one for our cruise, or we would just do that.

You can't use flash drives on a carnival computer.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if Carnival charges to use the computers on board but not the internet? Like just typing something up in a Word document to save on a flash drive?

No. As mentioned, no flash drives can be used. It would be too easy to infect their entire network with a virus if they had zero control over who did and didn't have access.

We don't have a laptop or a way to borrow one for our cruise, Sure you do, there are many companies out there who will rent a laptop to you. Even ship it to your house.or we would just do that.

Answers above

We don't have a laptop or a way to borrow one for our cruise, or we would just do that.

You got me curious. Why do you need to type something on a cruise, but not send it anywhere? Why not just handwrite it in a notebook and when you get home, type up your notes?

If you have a smartphone, it likely has an app for note taking. If not there are loads available. Some of these apps are able to sync across devices. Or there are apps for transferring files to PC, if the phone does not support a media card of some sort.

For which you'd need Internet access.

Groan, you're right, I totally misinterpreted the original question. I've never sailed before so didn't realize that the ship's computers aren't online (or maybe you only pay for internet, I'm still not sure but that's neither here nor there ;) ).

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. My husband has a college class starting while we're on the cruise, and he MAY have a couple of written assignments due as soon as we arrive home. He's still trying to get in touch with the professor to get more definite course info to determine what he'll need to do.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. My husband has a college class starting while we're on the cruise, and he MAY have a couple of written assignments due as soon as we arrive home. He's still trying to get in touch with the professor to get more definite course info to determine what he'll need to do.

I would definitely recommend buying an inexpensive laptop or tablet with keyboard then, don't rely on shipboard machines. Or else write the assignments in longhand and type them up later.

You might consider a tablet (or smartphone). There are numerous bluetooth keyboards that will interface with such devices. And, Microsoft Word is available for Android and iOS as well as Windows, https://products.office.com/en-us/mobile/office-mobile-apps-for-android.