Puerto Rico

CheckedBaggage

Come on guys, give them a chance. I know we all have flights to worry about but Celebrity and the rest of the cruise lines have a lot on their plate to worry about. Frankly, I am glad they are not making quick decisions until they know for sure how things will play out. We are all worried about a vacation. Think about everyone else.

This IS crazy and it’s a reflection of Celebrity’s greed and disregard for the safety of it’s customers. We’re scheduled for the 11/4/17 Summit sailing and I can’t believe they’re going ahead using the port of San Juan. This is very irresponsible and we are not happy!

Actually we don't know if they're "going ahead" using the port in SJU on November 4 or any other date. That remains to be seen.

I don't think it's crazy, greedy, unsafe, or irresponsible to have not made any decisions on a cruise 5 weeks out at this point.

That said, they should pick a date sometime soon at which they are comfortable with hopefully going back to SJU, and cancel and/or relocate the cruises before that. It will not be good if they go week to week for the next couple months making last minute decisions.

Edited by bouhunter

Come on guys, give them a chance. I know we all have flights to worry about but Celebrity and the rest of the cruise lines have a lot on their plate to worry about. Frankly, I am glad they are not making quick decisions until they know for sure how things will play out. We are all worried about a vacation. Think about everyone else.

It's possible to think about more than one thing at a time. We can be very concerned about the people of the Caribbean AND concerned about our own families at the same time. It is not just being "worried about a vacation" but is also worried about the security and safety of the people we love most.

I'm seeing about 30 flights in the air right now, to/from SJU on flightradar24. The last few days its been around 16 - 18. This seems like a significant increase. I'll take that as progress.

I'm booked on B2B Summit cruises Nov 11 and 18. We are flying in/out the day of the cruise, so hotels are not an issue for us. My flights are on Southwest, so I can change them if they had to home-port elsewhere. I have travel insurance.

Personally, I think the Nov 11 and 18 cruises will happen as published by Celebrity. I'm okay with that. But if they decide to change to a Florida departure, that works for me too.

To those who think it's selfish to expect better information from the cruise lines about what passengers may expect:

I am thinking about the people of San Juan, who don't have food and water and can not accommodate thousands of tourists, who will also expect access to basic needs, which simply are not there. I am thinking about all the passengers, who may have have limited travel time available and probably thousands of dollars at stake that they can't afford to lose. People are very reasonably concerned about traveling to a disaster zone that is also rapidly deteriorating into a public health crisis. Ultimately, I believe all cruises out of San Juan in the coming months will probably either be cancelled or moved to a different embarkation port. Until people who have booked cruises and air travel and hotels have more information, it is perfectly reasonable to be concerned and also aggravated over not receiving clearer information about the process and what to expect.

Granted, this must be a logistical nightmare for the cruise company executives, but honestly, from a purely business perspective it is in their best interest not to make changes until the last minute.

Edited by michael91401

To those who think it's selfish to expect better information from the cruise lines about what passengers may expect:

I am thinking about the people of San Juan, who don't have food and water and can not accommodate thousands of tourists, who will also expect access to basic needs, which simply are not there. I am thinking about all the passengers, who may have have limited travel time available and probably thousands of dollars at stake that they can't afford to lose. People are very reasonably concerned about traveling to a disaster zone that is also rapidly deteriorating into a public health crisis. Ultimately, I believe all cruises out of San Juan in the coming months will probably either be cancelled or moved to a different embarkation port. Until people who have booked cruises and air travel and hotels have more information, it is perfectly reasonable to be concerned and also aggravated over not receiving clearer information about the process and what to expect.

Granted, this must be a logistical nightmare for the cruise company executives, but honestly, from a purely business perspective it is in their best interest not to make changes until the last minute.

The Adventure of the Seas is making 3 stops, San Juan, St. Croix and St. Thomas all stops are to deliver emergency aid and to evacuate people and their pets back to Fort Lauderdale.

bosco

The sooner the cruise lines accept reality, their customers can make arrangements to re book air,....etc... Folks using SW Air have the best chance not to lose money on change fees...

How many hotels are open to tourists in San Juan? How many restaurants and excursions are operable in St Maarten? Holland House website says they are temp closed...

Sad for the people of these places, understand the cruise line has port contracts....but some people work very hard to save for vacations and deserve more than last minute decisions....people who have already made fin payment are stuck with whatever is decided...

Edited by hcat