South America from UK

HomelessBear

We're flying to Santiago on a cruise package next year, and we won't know our flight times for a few months yet. Looking at the flights that go there from Heathrow, the direct flight leaves around 22.00hrs and arrives sometime the next morning.

I just wondered if anyone has done this cruise package & flight from the UK and whether they take you straight to the ship when you land. Or do you need a hotel stay for a night?

Thank you.

We're flying to Santiago on a cruise package next year, and we won't know our flight times for a few months yet. Looking at the flights that go there from Heathrow, the direct flight leaves around 22.00hrs and arrives sometime the next morning.

I just wondered if anyone has done this cruise package & flight from the UK and whether they take you straight to the ship when you land. Or do you need a hotel stay for a night?

Thank you.

Hello Homeless,

While I have not taken this particular cruise from the UK, I have done some extensive travel for both business and leisure to and from the US, UK and South America. First, I would suggest that you get into Santiago early. It is an interesting, friendly, cosmopolitan city that can be enjoyed before a cruise. Second, while I don't know the specifics of your flights, the number of hours and layovers, there is a significant amount of time zone change that you will encounter. You may want to get acclimated to the changes and arrive on the ship refreshed.

Enjoy the South American cruise. It will be memorable, I am sure.

Thank you.

No one takes you to the ship unless you arrange it. You can book Princess transfer and if you arrive day of the cruise, they can shuttle you. You can also find private shuttle or taxi services that will likely be less costly.

I agree with other poster that you may want to arrive the day before the cruise and have time to get acclimated.

Also, be aware that the port has been changed to San Antonio from Valparaiso. Google all three cities and you can understand from a map, the driving distances between port and Santiago airport.

Even without the flight particulars, your itinerary should still have the precise departure date.

If one day before you embark the ship, then after an overnight flight you should be headed straight for the pier (which is about a 75-90 minute drive from the airport).

If more than one day then a hotel stay is necessary. And may or may not be already arranged; again, the specifics should be in your printed itinerary.

No one takes you to the ship unless you arrange it. You can book Princess transfer and if you arrive day of the cruise, they can shuttle you. You can also find private shuttle or taxi services that will likely be less costly.

Why are you assuming it has not been arranged? For UK passengers booking a fly/cruise package usually all elements are required to be purchased at the time of booking, including transfers and hotels if an "operational overnight" is necessary. And often the passenger has no choice of provider; they must go with the ones supplied by the TA. (Which is why I was perplexed by the orgiinal question as a if the OP's package includes a pre-cruise hotel the details are usually quite explicit)

Edited by fishywood

Thank you.

Hi,they obviously have not given you an itinerary.I would not take a chance anyway and make sure you get there a day before as any delay could be a problem.We flew Princess air in 2013 27 hrs to Auckland,landing on time but only 6 hrs before sailaway.The next port was only 100 odd miles up the road,so was a calculated gamble on their part,but I would never do that again.We done Maccu Piccu and Santiago to Rio 2 years ago,but done the landtour first.Cheers,Brian.ps, if your flight gets changed,avoid Iberia like the plague,they are crap.They codeshare with BA. Edited by brian1
ps

Thank you.

The direct answer is that if you book EZ Air with a transfer AND the arrival time is in time for transfer and boarding you will be taken directly from the airport to the ship. Believe the port is now San Antiono, about a 90 ride from Santiago. Take into account that many times flights are changed and what you book as a direct flight through EZ Air may wind up being a connecting flight with a late arrival. Allow time for changes to occur.

Some thoughts and comments from recent experience.

I have not flown from the UK, but did fly to Santiago this past February for the S.A. cruise. Roughly a non stop flight from the UK is around 16 to 18 hours. With the time change you will arrive Santiago the next morning. It took us about 90 mins to clear immigration. We were in first class, were able to sleep overnight to some extent, and coming from N.Y. had little in the way of time change. I mention this because upon arrival we were very tired. We actually spent the night at the Hilton Garden Inn at Santiago Airport. The next day we took a private tour with "The German Pirate" (he runs private tours and is on the internet) who then dropped us off in Vina del Mar a beach resort city where we spent 3 great days. With all that said would highly recommend you stay a few days either in Santiago or the coast and touring. Chile is really nice. It also gives you time to overcome the jet lag.

The direct answer is that if you book EZ Air with a transfer AND the arrival time is in time for transfer and boarding you will be taken directly from the airport to the ship. Believe the port is now San Antiono, about a 90 ride from Santiago. Take into account that many times flights are changed and what you book as a direct flight through EZ Air may wind up being a connecting flight with a late arrival. Allow time for changes to occur.

Some thoughts and comments from recent experience.

I have not flown from the UK, but did fly to Santiago this past February for the S.A. cruise. Roughly a non stop flight from the UK is around 16 to 18 hours. With the time change you will arrive Santiago the next morning. It took us about 90 mins to clear immigration. We were in first class, were able to sleep overnight to some extent, and coming from N.Y. had little in the way of time change. I mention this because upon arrival we were very tired. We actually spent the night at the Hilton Garden Inn at Santiago Airport. The next day we took a private tour with "The German Pirate" (he runs private tours and is on the internet) who then dropped us off in Vina del Mar a beach resort city where we spent 3 great days. With all that said would highly recommend you stay a few days either in Santiago or the coast and touring. Chile is really nice. It also gives you time to overcome the jet lag.

14.5 hrs

Thanks for your replies.

Here in UK we book the cruise as a Package with Princess which includes flights, hotels if necessary and all transfers. Princess books and organises all this for us as a package, which I know is different from how it's done in the US.

I was just wondering if anyone had actually experienced this package from the UK and could give me some idea of the specifics from their experience.

Yes we're aware that the departure port has changed to San Antonio as we've received a letter. Although it would be nice to have had a few days pre cruise when we arrive, DH is very limited with his holidays so this won't be possible for us.

Everyone going on a Princess cruise out of Santiago, Chile needs to be aware Princess has moved the ship to the port of San Antonio, 56 miles south of Valparaiso. There is not much available for tourists in San Antonio, Chile. This change starts this cruising season (2017-2018) and it has been reported that Princess has signed a multi-year contract with the port of San Antonio so not much changes for future years. The distance from Santiago to Valparaiso is similar as the distance from Santiago to San Antonio. We are on the Emerald leaving from what was to be Valparaiso in March and have been notified of the port change.

Thanks for your replies.

Here in UK we book the cruise as a Package with Princess which includes flights, hotels if necessary and all transfers. Princess books and organises all this for us as a package, which I know is different from how it's done in the US.

I was just wondering if anyone had actually experienced this package from the UK and could give me some idea of the specifics from their experience.

Yes we're aware that the departure port has changed to San Antonio as we've received a letter. Although it would be nice to have had a few days pre cruise when we arrive, DH is very limited with his holidays so this won't be possible for us.

Then, you will be transported directly to the ship if arriving morning of the same day the ship departs. If you arrive sooner, you need a hotel. I understand you are saying it is all packaged up, but don't you have a choice in when you want to depart UK and how long you would like to be in Santiago area pre-cruise? I am obviously not from the UK, but curious why you don't seem to have a say in the matter.

Thanks for your replies.

If you booked this via Princess,just phone Southampton and speak to a personal cruise consultant and ask for your itinerary.You can modify the package and request a different flight and hotel if it is not included.Ask if the transfer the next morning includes a city tour enroute,ours did,but we were on the Maccu Piccu package.If you are happy with PCC ask for their direct number.Ours was brilliant but he has now left the company.Cheers,Brian.