What is the best way to book a Viking Ocean cruise?

Nashna

We first booked with a small local TA and he wasn't there for us during it all. Our last one we booked with an online TA that I got from someone here and we got a huge discount and unbelievable service. We will only use them from now on. It does get a bit frustrating when you want to do something with your reservations but they won't help you. It must go through your TA but that is the case with all cruise lines. It's unfortunate that we can't give the name of the agency on here.

JiminyC - I live in Lakewood and use to live in Littleton, Can you share the name of your online TA contact with me? I was quite disappointed with my local TA last time and dropped them mid process and just took it over myself.

wilsco303@msn.com

JiminyC - I live in Lakewood and use to live in Littleton, Can you share the name of your online TA contact with me? I was quite disappointed with my local TA last time and dropped them mid process and just took it over myself.

If you find that your post has disappeared, it is because it is against the CC guidelines to name TAs by name or to ask members to share the names of their TAs even if it is done off line.

Thank you all for your great suggestions. I have contacted a TA that I have worked with in the past. She also mentioned that Viking will no longer allow TA discounts lower than what they are offering. She was able to offer a $600.00 OBC. Plus, she was very helpful in suggesting the $200.00 first time Viking referral from a friend. Since this is a 15 day cruise, I'm sure that we will have no problem spending the OBC. However, I was disappointed to hear that it could not cover gratuities. Oh well, the OBC will just give me a chance to hit the bar!

We are planning on using ours - same amount as yours to purchase the Silver Spirits package - that gets you free bar drinks, replenishment of your minibar if you aren't in a cabin category where that is already included (which we aren't), and upgraded wines at the Chefs Table.....so unless you have another use for it, this might be the best use of your OBC. We are still deciding between using ours for the package or for the Kitchen.

As others have mentioned Viking no longer allows TA's to discount the prices. That went into effect in May of this year. My TA previously gave a 15% discount on Viking's prices. You can still get a fair amount of OBC when booking with a TA. What my TA gives (and Viking allows): for one (1) to seven (7) nights on Viking vessel, $150 per guest; for eight (8) to fourteen (14) nights on a Viking vessel, $300 per guest and for fifteen plus (15+) nights on a Viking vessel, $500 per guest. It still is worthwhile to book with a TA...at least you get something extra. I do get discounts on other cruise lines from my TA as well. She will go to bat for you if there are any issues with Viking.

You are correct.

NEW VIKING POLICY: On Board Credit (offered by your travel agent)

Up to 7 nights: $150 per guest ($300 stateroom)

8 to 14 nights: $300 per guest ($600 stateroom)

15+ nights: $500 per guest ($1000 stateroom)

ACTUAL CRUISE nights not hotel nights

Past guest discounts, referral discounts as well as referral vouchers still can be applied.

You are correct.

NEW VIKING POLICY: On Board Credit (offered by your travel agent)

Up to 7 nights: $150 per guest ($300 stateroom)

8 to 14 nights: $300 per guest ($600 stateroom)

15+ nights: $500 per guest ($1000 stateroom)

ACTUAL CRUISE nights not hotel nights

Past guest discounts, referral discounts as well as referral vouchers still can be applied.

Help me understand. So if I book an 11 night cruise direct thru Viking, I get $0 OBC, but through a TA I can get $300 per guest? Does every TA have to offer this per Viking or does one shop TAs for this offer?

Viking is not alone in this policy. However, a travel agent may offer a rebate. A check will be sent to the cruiser 4 to 6 weeks after completion of the cruise. You must pay full price up front. Some travel agents offer OBC and others use the rebate after cruise. We have always used an online agent and she is great. Her name was provided t us from friends and fellow cruisers. Our first experience (cruise) with a small brick and mortar agent was a nightmare.

That would be why my agent offered $600.00 OBC for a 14 night cruise. Since the agents are getting a 16 percent commission, they are not giving up that much. Keep in mind that I do not use an agent to help me choose a cruise. Frankly, this is my 39th cruise and I do not need a lot of help. I know when, where and how I wish to cruise. I just want the best possible price.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Help me understand. So if I book an 11 night cruise direct thru Viking, I get $0 OBC, but through a TA I can get $300 per guest? Does every TA have to offer this per Viking or does one shop TAs for this offer?

I have the same question. This doesn't make sense to me. For bookings directly with Viking, I assume Viking's margin is higher (no commission to TA), wouldn't Viking want to incentivize people to book direct by offering higher discount and special offers?

That is how it works with most any cruise line...and is a main reason for some of the travelers who know this to use a TA rather than book directly. You find this similar conversation on a lot of different cruise line threads...this is not just a Viking thing.

There are sides to argue either way with -each with their advantages in booking directly vs TA.

I managed a travel agency for 30 years. Cruise lines rely on TA to introduce their clients to their cruise lines. If an agent is a true professional they will take into account their clients best interests. I was fortunate to only work for agencies that paid me a salary. I was therefore able to recommend the best options to my clients. My clients put their trust in me.and I respected that trust. I sailed on Costa and after that sailing, I refused to sell them, In spite of being offered generous incentives to sell Costa was just too unprofessional a line to recommend. The TA community is responsible for introducing their clients to cruising. Without that infusion of new customers, cruise lines would have stagnant sales. For this reason, cruise lines offer special deals to their travel agent partners. Cruise lines offer TA incentives to encourage agencies to sell their products: I am now traveling on my own. I do use a TA for the discounts that they offer. I'm not going to turn down that $600.00 OBC!

I'm not going to turn down that $600.00 OBC!

OBC doesn't work for me. We don't drink enough to make the drinks package a worthwhile expenditure and we aren't interested in spa treatments. It can't be used to purchase the shorex in advance and I'm not willing to wait until I get on board to sign up. The only thing that ends up on our on board account are gratuities and you can't use the OBC to pay that. Just give me the cash and I'll put it to the ride to the airport and the shorex I've already purchased.

OBC doesn't work for me. We don't drink enough to make the drinks package a worthwhile expenditure and we aren't interested in spa treatments. It can't be used to purchase the shorex in advance and I'm not willing to wait until I get on board to sign up. The only thing that ends up on our on board account are gratuities and you can't use the OBC to pay that. Just give me the cash and I'll put it to the ride to the airport and the shorex I've already purchased.

I would much rather have the cash as well to spend as I choose.......it is my understanding that option is no longer available with Viking as it is with other lines for TA....would love to be wrong on this?

OBC can be used to purchase spa treatments as well as shore excursions and the booze package. Just not gratuities. Many shoreX have openings during the cruise. Viking can get a bit uncoordinated telling folks a shoreX is booked, when there are open spaces. Happened a couple times on Homelands. They're still working kinks out in their Ocean product.

No. A TA does not have to offer this to you. Before I knew about this, I used a TA who presented themselves as being generous to me for offering a $100 per person OBC when they could have offered $300. Some TAs may advertise this reduction in order to get business, others may offer it to all, others may offer it when they have to. It comes out of what would have been their commission. Viking offers it to TAs so that they can decide how to use it to generate business.

I would much rather have the cash as well to spend as I choose.......it is my understanding that option is no longer available with Viking as it is with other lines for TA....would love to be wrong on this?

As I mentioned in my earlier post, travel agents used to be able to discount the cost of the cruise. My TA was giving 15% off until May of this year when Viking stopped it. Now you can get the OBC. It's better than nothing...you can spend it in the gift shop or for an excursion that you book on board. I think you can also use it for spa services.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, travel agents used to be able to discount the cost of the cruise. My TA was giving 15% off until May of this year when Viking stopped it. Now you can get the OBC. It's better than nothing...you can spend it in the gift shop or for an excursion that you book on board. I think you can also use it for spa services.

We may have had similar agents....it is my understanding though that all cruises booked prior to May changes will be honored.....is that yours as well Carol?

Yes, better than nothing but sure is a big difference. :(

We always got 15% off with our TA... when we booked our 2019 Auckland to Bali cruise onboard the Barcelona Baltics and Beyond we assumed we would still be getting the 15% off, in addition to the (if I remember right) over $700 off for booking onboard. When we got home we discovered that the discount was now only 12% (plus the 3.3% for echeck). We were very disappointed, but not so much now that we see that they have stopped these upfront discounts (a week or two after we got back). I understand that you can still get onboard credits, etc, from TAs, still, however we do not have first hand knowledge. Our friends stated that they did but I did not ask for specifics. Onboard credit, for sure.