Afternoon Tea

Robb

I don't attend tea but I'm pretty sure I've read in the Currents something about Smart casual dress code applies, or words to that effect.

I did attend attend tea on our Oceania cruise and was never been turned away while wearing shorts.

You should try it. The scones with clotted cream are outstanding.

Afternoon Tea is a flow through event most typically in Horizons. People set up their and socialize and perhaps have drinks. At 16:00, tea begins until 17:00, when it's Happy Hour.

Many cruisers never leave their seats, and never change attire, as one function flows into another. Some continue having adult beverages, in lieu of tea, with the multitude of delectables coming around on the carts.

It is not necessary, but on the R ships, when the special over the top Afternoon Tea is held, most typically in the Lounge, most people will dress as if for dinner before hand. This means most follow the dress codes for the GDR and Specialties for that event. Let me emphasize, we're only talking about that singular one special tea and 90% of the cruisers. The remainder dress as casually as otherwise permitted to get into Waves or the Terrace.

While my wife and I were just on the Riviera in the Mediterranean the past 12 days and we saw the full range of dress at tea time. A few ladies were in bathing suits and cover ups, to people dressed for dinner in dresses and blazers. Most were somewhere in the middle, and yes there were people in shorts too.

The "cream" they serve with scones during afternoon tea is NOT clotted cream. It is whipped cream. There is a huge difference. But the scones are good. Finger sandwiches even better! and it does "morph" from tea to drinks...

We have been given both and at last Tea, offered the choice. I do enjoy the finger sandwiches though the last time was very to get service. Have to sit in the right place at the right time I think.

The 'morphing" comment reminded me of a couple in window seats enjoying the view out to sea as we arrived for tea. Appeared they were there with glasses of wine while tea was being setup around them, eventually morphed into a sweet, then back to wine as tea time ended and leading into happy hour. All without leaving their seats. A very relaxing sea day I'm sure.

The "cream" they serve with scones during afternoon tea is NOT clotted cream. It is whipped cream. There is a huge differences...

They serve both

If the seas were rough the night before then no clotted cream that day

Just ask for the clotted cream

Well - perhaps on the cruise you were on they served both but we have been on Riviera twice before and all they had was whipped cream... My husband loves "cream teas" as they are called in the UK and I hope that he will be offered proper clotted cream next month!

They serve both

If the seas were rough the night before then no clotted cream that day

Just ask for the clotted cream

That's interesting. Since I rarely ever go to the tea I guess I don't understand this. What would the seas being rough the night before have to do with not having it?

That's interesting. Since I rarely ever go to the tea I guess I don't understand this. What would the seas being rough the night before have to do with not having it?

They make it onboard & if the seas are a bit bumpy it cannot set properly

Well - perhaps on the cruise you were on they served both but we have been on Riviera twice before and all they had was whipped cream... My husband loves "cream teas" as they are called in the UK and I hope that he will be offered proper clotted cream next month!

When onboard we go almost daily

They have had both on most days

Just ask the server

Does he use the Devonian or Cornish method of preparing the scone? My DW, with her Welsh heritage prepares hers in the wrong fashion :). Enjoy the Tea, enjoy your cruise