Odd Junior Suite Experience

bartel11

Hello all.

We're currently sailing in a JS on Freedom and are having the darndest time figuring out what's going on with some perks we're receiving.

We have sailed in a JS before and know that the perks are practically non existent for us (big room / balcony and double points) However this time we entered the stateroom and found a plate of cookies on the table and 2 bottles of water in addition to the one bottle and a coke we receive for being Emerald members. 2 days later, on formal night, we found a whole tray of cookies waiting for us and 2 more bottles of water.

Today (formal night 2) we found a small plate of candies and pastries when we got back to our stateroom, but no refill on bottled water. Has anyone else received this treatment while in a JS? It's a nice touch, but having not received it in the past, there's no charges on our account now but I'm skeptical and don't want to find a surprise on the bill after disembarking.

Thanks

It's normal to have cookies and bottled water in the stateroom upon boarding. It's also not unusual to get various treats during the cruise. I would not have expected the bottled water to be replenished, but it's nice that it did. You can check your bill on the TV or get a printout at Guest Services.

We were on the Sep 10th delayed Allure cruise that was only 1/3 full and we received a lot of freebies in our junior suite. We have a 2 year old daughter that loves the towel animals and the third night of the cruise we came back to our cabin to see an entire zoo of animals (I know that's free). There were at least 15 of them (our room attendant only had 1 cabin to clean).

Every night the waiter would bring 4 cupcakes for her to eat in the mdr instead of the dessert. There was a selection of cookies everyday in the cabin, one night there were 6 chocolate dipped strawberries and there were 2 bottles of water and a milk in the mini fridge everyday.

We did not ask for any of it. In fact the only ting I asked for was ice and that seemed to be the most difficult.

I know to never expect that again, but the staff went out of their way to make my daughter feel like the cruise was all for her. Awesome time

Perfectly normal in my experience to get unexpected treats left in your room. You don't have to be in a JS and I don't believe there has to be reason.

I have never stayed in a JS. Often got treats left in my cabin which weren't expected.

Cynicism is usually a product of experience in my view. Short story.

Our upcoming cruise on VOTS will be the last one we take on RCCL. Why? Complete intransigence on their part. Details...We booked a Junior Suite. I did so thinking we could add a 3rd traveler since our previous booking was a balcony that could take 4 passengers. Additionally, the JS would give us more room with 3 people. So time comes where the 3rd person gets off the fence and says she will go with us. RCCL's response; nope. I point out that the description of a JS says there is a sofa bed in addition to the two twins that form a King sized bed. RCCL's response was that the deck plans "clearly" point out that my suite doesn't have a sofa bed. "There is no triangle on your suite so you can't have a bed." They want us to plop down another $1000 for an upgrade/another room. Apparently the triangle means "no sofa bed" in some languages. So on the deck plans RCCL provides, it says one thing and on the description RCCL provides it says another. Thought hey acknowledge that they gave me two conflicting stories, they were willing to do absolutely nothing to make amends...dinner at Chops? No. Sightseeing excursion in Cozumel? No. Pictures on board? No. Heck; Taco Bell gave us a free taco on my birthday a few months back. Live and learn I guess.

Anyway, as I wave goodbye to RCCL, I'm now looking at alternatives since we love sailing. But I'm definitely going in with this episode in the back of my mind.

That's why its always best to check the deck plans yourself. Or when booking put in 3 people see what is available and book that for 2 and if 3rd person decides later then your cabin can accommadate them. And even then if the 3rd decided to late they still might not get in if they have already enough people for the lifeboats in that area. But I agree they need to have 1 set of deck plans and not decription one. I never deal with RCCL because I never get the same answer or usually correct answer. Frustrating.

Cynicism is usually a product of experience in my view. Short story.

Our upcoming cruise on VOTS will be the last one we take on RCCL. Why? Complete intransigence on their part. Details...We booked a Junior Suite. I did so thinking we could add a 3rd traveler since our previous booking was a balcony that could take 4 passengers. Additionally, the JS would give us more room with 3 people. So time comes where the 3rd person gets off the fence and says she will go with us. RCCL's response; nope. I point out that the description of a JS says there is a sofa bed in addition to the two twins that form a King sized bed. RCCL's response was that the deck plans "clearly" point out that my suite doesn't have a sofa bed. "There is no triangle on your suite so you can't have a bed." They want us to plop down another $1000 for an upgrade/another room. Apparently the triangle means "no sofa bed" in some languages. So on the deck plans RCCL provides, it says one thing and on the description RCCL provides it says another. Thought hey acknowledge that they gave me two conflicting stories, they were willing to do absolutely nothing to make amends...dinner at Chops? No. Sightseeing excursion in Cozumel? No. Pictures on board? No. Heck; Taco Bell gave us a free taco on my birthday a few months back. Live and learn I guess.

Anyway, as I wave goodbye to RCCL, I'm now looking at alternatives since we love sailing. But I'm definitely going in with this episode in the back of my mind.

Sounds like you are not coming back, but if the room does not accommodate 3, then you have to book some other room. Can you try and change to a different room before adding somebody that can accommodate 3? You could have made it much easier to begin with had to started the booking process with 3, so it would only show rooms that could handle it, and either just booking that with 2, or book 3, then just drop the 3rd if they decided not to go.

That's why its always best to check the deck plans yourself. Or when booking put in 3 people see what is available and book that for 2 and if 3rd person decides later then your cabin can accommadate them. And even then if the 3rd decided to late they still might not get in if they have already enough people for the lifeboats in that area. But I agree they need to have 1 set of deck plans and not decription one. I never deal with RCCL because I never get the same answer or usually correct answer. Frustrating.

Great advice. The old “assumption” euphemism (sp) applies except I’m the only “a**” in this scenario. LOL. My fault; I shouldn’t have assumed I suppose. But when there is a discrepancy in their platforms that even they acknowledge…you’d figure I’d get some sort of comp or dinner or something.

As for your “never get the same answer”, you’re preaching to the choir. As a new cruiser who got married last October, our honeymoon was my responsibility while my lovely bride brooded over every detail about the wedding. So I was on the RCCL website 3 days a week going over every detail I could think of. For weeks, there was this show featuring Saturday Night Fever being advertised on the rotating major picture on the homepage. Then nothing. I figured it was cancelled. At the newlywed dinner they graciously held for us….two or three of the other couples mentioned this oddity. On the last evening, they had the show which was not advertised much if any.

Sounds like you are not coming back, but if the room does not accommodate 3, then you have to book some other room. Can you try and change to a different room before adding somebody that can accommodate 3? You could have made it much easier to begin with had to started the booking process with 3, so it would only show rooms that could handle it, and either just booking that with 2, or book 3, then just drop the 3rd if they decided not to go.

Certainly doubtful I’d give RCCL another crack at me. Then again, the grass isn’t always greener on the other side of the hill. Who knows?

Carnival seems to be a much better value for the same destination, larger suites, and more consistent customer service. Looking ahead to 2019 and the Bahamas.

Wish me luck.

Certainly doubtful I’d give RCCL another crack at me. Then again, the grass isn’t always greener on the other side of the hill. Who knows?

Carnival seems to be a much better value for the same destination, larger suites, and more consistent customer service. Looking ahead to 2019 and the Bahamas.

Wish me luck.

If the reports i have read are right you will get a much noisier,and more boisterous fellow passengers on Carnival.