Cruise leaving from Venice

Hi all,

Leaving in less than four weeks from Venice. Since we arrive late at night the day prior to the cruise, I decided to stay near the airport. My plan is to take a taxi the next morning, drop our bags with the porters and not check in, but go explore Venice for a couple of hours and check in around 1-2. Around what time would I be able to drop my bags? I would love to hear experiences leaving from Venice. Thanks and have a great Sunday all. Happy cruising!!!!

Cindy

I do not know exact when you will be able to drop your bags - my best guess is between 10 and 11. travel from cruise terminal to San Marco will be 30 minutes - Venice is only accessible by boat - it might leave you with only 1 to 2 hours in Venice.

Driving from VCE to the cruise pier is 20 minutes - you will also need transport to airport hotel.

I would plan to stay at hotel near the cruise terminal/central station and the take a boat into Venice early morning and back for boarding after noon.

[YOUTUBE]FzrAaoU55wY[/YOUTUBE]

If you stick to your plan then drop luggage off around 10. Take People Mover to Piazzale Roma and then catch slow vaporetto down Grand Canale to St Marks.

Take Alilaguna Blu from St Marks back to cruise terminal.

Or vice-versa.

What time do you sail as you will need to be back on board at least 90 mins before sailing so you don't have a lot of time!

Personally I would either take the luggage with you to Piazzale Roma and leave it there in the left luggage facility which is right by the People Mover entrance/exit. Then on your return to PR, grab your luggage and do the People Mover to the port. I think you are wasting time going to the Port first.

I also would not stay at the airport area as it is only a short distance into the city - if you could find a hotel near PR itself then you cut out more travel time the next day.

Plaza Hotel in Mestre is a wonderful hotel, reasonably priced and only a five minute train ride into Venice. We stayed there two nights pre cruise in 2013 before or twelve day Mediterranean cruise on Holland America's Nieuw Amsterdam.

If you go by bus to Venice, the bus ticket will also work on the People Mover. For folks with Marriott points, there's a Courtyard at the first bus stop from the airport on the way to Venice. Would probably only work if you are a light packer.