Cruise Elegant vs. Cruise Casual: How do you feel about this?

winddawn

How do you feel about dining room dress requirements for cruise elegant nights?  

307 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about dining room dress requirements for cruise elegant nights?

• Keep cruise elegant night dress requirements as is.
    • Every night should be cruise casual in the dining room.

@ Sweet Dutch Girl - I agree with you. Everyone pays to enjoy their cruise just like I do. So it does not matter to me how others dress - it does not affect my vacation. How ever as for me and my family on formal / elegant nights my husband wears a suit and tie, I wear a gown, teenage son wears shirt and tie with slacks and teenage daughter wears her newest prom dress.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

@ Sweet Dutch Girl - I agree with you. Everyone pays to enjoy their cruise just like I do. So it does not matter to me how others dress - it does not affect my vacation. How ever as for me and my family on formal / elegant nights my husband wears a suit and tie, I wear a gown, teenage son wears shirt and tie with slacks and teenage daughter wears her newest prom dress.

And hopefully we be sat at your table!:D

I always kind of hope that having some sort of a "dress code", no matter how lax, would encourage folks to at least shower the sweat and/or suntan lotion off before putting on something else to come to dinner.

If this isn't the case then a pungent diner sitting nearby CAN affect my dining pleasure.:D

I'm just remembering the time (this year) when I was in line on elegant night, wearing my dress pants that were a little tight around my waist and I had a stomach ache. It was pretty warm on the ship and I saw what other people were wearing while we were waiting. I went back to the room and changed into a pair of black, sweatpant/Capri pants. Believe it or not, life didn't end. It continued on as it always does, and I was more comfortable and able to enjoy my meal.

My wife's "sandals" will tell you that flip flops are fine.

I wear what might be called flip flops except they're in disguise - black that looks like suede with cute little rhinestone bows. I wear them to dinner every night -with black skirt or slacks elegant nights and with jeans or capris casual nights.

DH wears loafers or boat shoes with khakis.

I'm one that dresses up for work everyday, so much prefer casual on vacation and do not dress formally, but a pair of nicer capris, a maxi skirt and a fancier top for elegant night is doable. I can also understand those that want more formal or more casual. However, I must cruise at a different time than others ... having sailed out of Miami, Puerto Rico and Baltimore and have yet to see daisy duke shorts, wife beaters and/or baseball caps in the MDR any night. Also, I do agree that NCL is more casual than Carnival.

Sorry I "misspoke" when mentioning the jeans being allowed on Elegant Nights, it's the Steakhouse allows them on casual nights.

Luckily for me I never had problems being double charged for anything or trouble with the launderettes prior to getting free laundry as a perk (at least on Carnival still working on that one for other lines). But if I ever did have the machines refuse payment back then, I would of immediately done the stuff the bag wash and fold service for $15 (an everyday day price the past couple of years, instead of a once a cruise special). True that's 2.5 times the amount of DIY without buying on board chemicals in the launderette (we used to bring our own), but I then would gone to guest services (with the time I saved by not waiting on the machines) to complain and get a refund for the difference.

The OP, winddawn, asked how we FEEL about the MDR dress code in essence being the same all cruise long. I expressed my feeling that if there was to be a uniform MDR dress code I would prefer it too be the "higher" standard of the 2 currently described. I'm not trying to force anyone to conform to my viewpoint and do not feel that how someone else is dressed (as long as it it no lewdly) detracts from my enjoyment of a meal. But rather the attitude copped and held onto by passengers when they are called out by staff to change or enjoy another venue is my detraction. These usually loud discussions and surly mood they maintain by the person or their companions during meal service, if they care seated near us, is what sours the dinner experience for my family. I just prefer to negate that risk by having a more defined dress code with little chance of mis-iterpetation.

Also I really do have a hard time understanding this whole "I can't fit a couple pairs of pants into my carry-on luggage" attitude so the cruise line should accommodate me by allowing me to wear whatever I do bring even it it's against their dress code. It's not like their luggage is lost, it was their decision to pick an airline that does not allow checked luggage as part of the ticket price and is unilling to pay for upcharge to do so. A line must be drawn somewhere, and as Carnival's Maître D’ and hostesses are now enforcing the dress code more often, at least for the cruises I’ve had the last 2-3 years. I can't remember any cruise (Carnival or not including) where we did not hear a passenger or 5 state that FAQs say shorts are allowed in the dining room when they are stopped at the MDR entrance and ask to change. Yes, Carnival's FAQs allow shorts on casual nights (while other crise lines do not) but it is stated they mean dress shorts (without further definition) which may be marketed as Bermuda, walking, or golf shorts, with certain staff members allowing cargo shorts. (Other lines only allow shorts during breakfast and lunch service.) By stating pants are the minimum for dinner then that confusion over what meets the definition of a pair of dress short is negated. It can boil down to a being a similar argument about what's the difference between a pair of thong sandals and what are flip flops, people will have agree to disagree and go by the judgement of the crew.

In part some of my disbelief that people cannot pack appropriate clothing, iss this...

I just packed 10 pairs of Dockers, 6 button down shirts, 4 polos shirts, 14 pairs of underwear, 3 sets of shorts, 3 t-shirts, 2 swimsuits, extra belt, a pair of walkers, and 3 days of gym wear for my husband (who wears 3X-Tall) for a 2 week business trip. (Basically a complete flip-flop of what is suggested to wear on a cruise.) He does not do laundry (except for the active wear which he will wash in the sink), does not send anything to the dry cleaner unless it states "Dry Clean only", and was unsure of the availability of any nearby reliable wash-n-fold service (not mentioned as a hotel amenity). This all fit in 1 garment bag (tipping the scales at 45# because of full sized toiletries) and 1 carry-on, so he did have to forkover at the airport $35 for the checked bag. But that was his choice not to avail himself of possibly paying only 3/4 of that amount to have his laundry done while he is in his various meetings. If it had been my choice he would have only taken a little more than 1 week's worth of clothing and pare down his toiletry choices to fit the quart bag, and sent out for laundry on day 6. This shortened list would have fit in his carry-on and a pilot bag/personal item, making them a bit heavy but still manageable since they are on wheels. Packing cubes and dollar store roll-up “vacuum” travel bags do wonders for maximizing a carry-on’s capacity, especially since no airline I know of weighs carry-on as long it fits the slot and/or the passenger can lift it to the overhead.

Agree wholeheartedly!

I enjoy 'elegant' (not 'formal' - there is a distinction) night. I can still pack a kilt, argyle jacket, ghille brogues and rest of the accessories, plus all the other day to day stuff without the need for more than one bag. One plus is that I get to dress down the kilt on other days with just a t-shirt and boots - and thoroughy enjoyed wearing them when i did the drinks making competition on the Lido a couple of years ago. Few and far between are the opportunities that I get to wear my kilt (other than weddings), so I enjoy it, and it always gets comments ;) (I am the guy with the 'It's a Kilt. If I wore something under it, it would be a skirt!' t-shirt.)

No matter how you sugarcoat it, we cannot get away from the fact that it is human nature to judge others based on culturally ingrained biases, but at the end of the day its all about having fun. I don't like ball caps, 'wife beaters', flip flops/thongs, etc., but if that is your thing, by all means, have at it. I reserve the right to judge you accordingly.

I wish there would be a compromise. I'd like to see casual every night, but not the slob outfits that I have seen more recently. I don't believe that tee shirts with gross sayings, ball caps, shorts that show underwear etc. should be allowed in the MDR for dinner.

The way things are now, nothing is enforced and even on elegant nights people dress like they rolled in from heaven only knows where. Short shorts with barely there tops on women on elegant night misses the mark as far as I am concerned.

I am a believer of how one dresses is how one acts and that certainly seems to be the case. I know that Carnival rarely, if ever, turns someone away for not dressing properly because headquarters won't back the employee as well as if someone is told to change clothes, there's a good chance tips will be removed by that person or family.

Someone needs to take a stand and stick to whatever the code is going to be.

I would dress nicer if the food were better. It's really not a 5 star restaurant, maybe 2.5 or so for the food selections and the service. For n ow, they get the bare minimum while I'm on vacation.

We used to pack formal clothes (with today's materials, DD had a black ruched chiffon XOXO gown that you could crumple in a tiny ball and would pop out unwrinkled!), but in all honesty the Carnival MDR just isn't a formal experience. It would be nice if they would create a formal dining experience in one MDR for those that want it, but we don't miss it at all. We do, however, basically dress in business attire for the MDR and any sit-down restaurants as if we were having a night out (which, of course, we are!). For elegant night now it's blingy jewelry, DD's LBD and my satin top with sequins. I do wear black pants as well. It's only fair for the other passengers.

Just as an aside, many of my clothes - and some of my jewelry - were bought from WalMart.com which has surprised people when they compliment my outfit and I tell them where it's from. It's not where you shop it's what you pick!

We used to pack formal clothes (with today's materials, DD had a black ruched chiffon XOXO gown that you could crumple in a tiny ball and would pop out unwrinkled!), but in all honesty the Carnival MDR just isn't a formal experience. It would be nice if they would create a formal dining experience in one MDR for those that want it, but we don't miss it at all. We do, however, basically dress in business attire for the MDR and any sit-down restaurants as if we were having a night out (which, of course, we are!). For elegant night now it's blingy jewelry, DD's LBD and my satin top with sequins. I do wear black pants as well. It's only fair for the other passengers.

Just as an aside, many of my clothes - and some of my jewelry - were bought from WalMart.com which has surprised people when they compliment my outfit and I tell them where it's from. It's not where you shop it's what you pick!

Good post! :D

One thing I do when shopping for a cruise dress or top is grab a handful of the material at the bottom and squeeze it. If it wrinkles it doesn't even made it to the dressing room.

Well, what do you consider a "formal" experience (not that there is a formal night of course)? The MDR is dressed up with tablecloths, the wait staff is dressed in tuxedoes, the menus are presented in holders (as I recall) and other small touches. What else would you want them to do to make it a "formal" experience? I am personally fine with things the way they are with the exception of CCL's enforcement which I feel should be done.

I taught school for 38 years. On game days the male athletes would wear dress pants, dress shirts and some even with ties while the female athletes wore dresses or dress slacks with dressy tops.

The behavior school-wide those days was markedly better and calmer including not just the athletes but also those students around them.

:confused:

Well, what do you consider a "formal" experience (not that there is a formal night of course)? The MDR is dressed up with tablecloths, the wait staff is dressed in tuxedoes, the menus are presented in holders (as I recall) and other small touches. What else would you want them to do to make it a "formal" experience? I am personally fine with things the way they are with the exception of CCL's enforcement which I feel should be done.

Bring back multi courses, table scrapers, between course sorbet, lobster and steak no upcharge, more events around ship (nothing outside of dining room is formal themed) and they can stop with the apple bottom jeans / Gangnam style stripper pole dance shows they make the waiters do. They could also uncover the piano in the MDR and use it. Champagne toast?

Bring back multi courses, table scrapers, between course sorbet, lobster and steak no upcharge, more events around ship (nothing outside of dining room is formal themed) and they can stop with the apple bottom jeans / Gangnam style stripper pole dance shows they make the waiters do. They could also uncover the piano in the MDR and use it. Champagne toast?

The waiters were using table scrapers on Fascination and there was lobster and steak on the menu for one of the nights (I think prime rib was on the menu the other). What do more events around the ship have to do with formal night? It's my understanding that the dancing waiters have been around for a couple of decades so it's certainly nothing new. In any event formal is in the past for much of our society so I don't see any cruise line moving the other way. (And in our FWIW department when I was a kid I was taught that formal meant tuxedo, the business suit that I usually wear to elegant night wouldn't make the cut since by definition back then it was "semi-formal".)

I personally like getting dressed up for dinner. I am a woman in the construction industry, I very occasionally have to wear a hard had and PPE with steel toed boots, but for the most part I dress in suits or smart office wear when I'm in the office or visiting customers. But it's nice for me to spend the time doing my hair and make up and wearing a pretty dress, something sparky, putting a flower in my hair, stuff that I simply don't get time to do during the working week. It's not a chore to me, it's a pleasure and all part of my holiday experience. By the same token I love slobbing out during the day, cocktail in hand, no make up. What's relaxing and pleasurable for one person isn't for another. I would feel self conscious if I hadn't made the effort to look good for dinner, just my opinion! Oh and I've done 12 cruises, mostly with RCCL :)

The waiters were using table scrapers on Fascination and there was lobster and steak on the menu for one of the nights (I think prime rib was on the menu the other). What do more events around the ship have to do with formal night? It's my understanding that the dancing waiters have been around for a couple of decades so it's certainly nothing new. In any event formal is in the past for much of our society so I don't see any cruise line moving the other way. (And in our FWIW department when I was a kid I was taught that formal meant tuxedo, the business suit that I usually wear to elegant night wouldn't make the cut since by definition back then it was "semi-formal".)

I thought I was answering your question as to what I thought what would constitute a formal experience, not opening up for cross-examination.

The Elegant Nights I've experienced on Carnival over the past 8 years have not been very different from their regular nights with the exception of one or two menu items. It's been a lot like eating at Applebee's (No insult here - I like Applebee's but I wouldn't dress formally for it). The more formal land restaurants I've been at have had a more subdued atmosphere, often with soft live music, an unrushed wait staff and a longer meal time (not to mention a higher cost!) among other things.

However, that said, if Carnival is calling for a dress code it should be enforced (which would help with the atmosphere too).